gearing question. not 4.88's

I disagree. I drove a truck that made 799rwhp with 4.56's and would hold 3rd gear. I had to peddle 2nd gear and knowing what I know. With better weight distribution and traction devices along with 4.10's I believe I will be able to use 2nd some.

Justin was agreeing with you. He thinks swapping out 4.10's is not the way to go.

Do you mean just for racing or what about DD? haven't had mine on the track-----ever, but Scott keeps badgering I just may. But mine is a DD and wonder if you mean a gear mod for my QC.

I think 4.88's are perfect for your truck and driving style, Shorty. Ask the good Dr. and see what he thinks.

I think 4.88's are perfect for your truck and driving style, Shorty. Ask the good Dr. and see what he thinks.

Thank you sir, Scott has never mentioned a change so I should have figured it was not needed. Did not want to see me traction bars. He has never added anything that did not fit my style of driving. Can't ask for more than that. :rock:

They would be great if he didn't do mostly highway driving. For a DD around town it would wake her up a little bit but 4.56 to 4.88 isn't near the jump as 4.10 to 4.88. If autos came 4.10 I'd recommend 4.88 often as a mod, but 4.56 in the auto is pretty much perfect. I honestly think 4.10 would be great for Shorty to pick up a MPG or two, but overall his truck is matched great to his mods. I do like 6 speeds with 4.88 but only for the 5/6th gear usability as it renders 1st useless.

The Turbo 400 has 2.48 1st and 1.48 2nd, third is direct drive. The difference you will see in rpm is the Converter slippage.

TH400's came with two different 1st gear ratios, 2.48 or 2.75. The 2.75 seem to be popular if the tranny originally came out of a truck, 2.48 if it came out of a car!

My point is it doesn't matter on street tires

It matters a bunch actually. Same 31-32" diameter street tires with all else the same except 4.10 vs 4.56 the 4.10 will pull through gears longer. It'll also help tire spin in lower gears. I also believe with all else the same the 4.10 should trap higher speeds.

Years ago me a a forum friend ran our trucks at the track. We even switched trucks to see the results. His 05 with more bolt on mods was faster in the 1/8th, but slower in the 1/4. My 04 had 7 mph on him in the 1/4 with either of us driving. Less wheel spin, longer in the powerband, and better mpg. I see no reason to ditch the 4:10 and HIGHLY recommend 4:10 to all the FI guys.

It matters a bunch actually. Same 31-32" diameter street tires with all else the same except 4.10 vs 4.56 the 4.10 will pull through gears longer. It'll also help tire spin in lower gears. I also believe with all else the same the 4.10 should trap higher speeds.

The tire is only going to provide enough grip for a set amount of acceleration, period no matter what gears are in the truck, after 300' when traction/tires are no longer a factor is when the different gearing comes into play

Right. Justin also thinks that it makes more sense leaving the stock 4.10's in place.

No, I'm saying that changing gears period is not worth it. Trainman has 4.56's and runs a 30" tire, I have 4.10's and used a 28" tire when NA, comes out to about the same effective gear ratio.

Years ago me a a forum friend ran our trucks at the track. We even switched trucks to see the results. His 05 with more bolt on mods was faster in the 1/8th, but slower in the 1/4. My 04 had 7 mph on him in the 1/4 with either of us driving. Less wheel spin, longer in the powerband, and better mpg. I see no reason to ditch the 4:10 and HIGHLY recommend 4:10 to all the FI guys.

This exactly! I've wanted to do a comparison just like this. That answers it because I've seen higher traps from 4.10 with all else the same.

No, I'm saying that changing gears period is not worth it. Trainman has 4.56's and runs a 30" tire, I have 4.10's and used a 28" tire when NA, comes out to about the same effective gear ratio.

Ohhhh, makes sense. I can tell you don't much about street racing though. Nothing beats 4.88's on the "streets". Do you even race, bro?

Ohhhh, makes sense. I can tell you don't much about street racing though. Nothing beats 4.88's on the "streets". Do you even race, bro?

Actually you speak truth! On the streets we aren't on 28" or 30" drag radials or slicks. We are often all on 305/40-22, an even playing field lets say. With all else the same, I'd see the 4.10 truck walking the 4.56 truck.
Now...ArrestMeRed and I have ran on the street and I gotta say it was somewhat close. He can post about that if my memory serves right. At the track he has me by 4/10ths at least and around 6-7 mpg more trap. Given this is a QC vs Reg cab with similar 60ft times yet he aces me in the eighth and 1/4.
Just food for thought.

Just my 2 cents......I try to run the tire and gear ratio that allows me to finish the 1/4 mile at the rev limiter in 4th gear. Right now its 6,200 rpm, with 4.56, 30" tall slick at about 118 mph. After my build the rev limiter will be raised to between 6,800 and ,7000 rpm. I will be staying with the 4.56's for now. Theoretical trap speed at 7,000 rpm with 4.56 and 30" tires is 137 mph....I think I'll be dialed in perfect.

Hey copy cat quit copying my post lol

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back