gearing question. not 4.88's

The Turbo 400 has 2.48 1st and 1.48 2nd, third is direct drive. The difference you will see in rpm is the Converter slippage.

The Turbo 400 has 2.48 1st and 1.48 2nd, third is direct drive. The difference you will see in rpm is the Converter slippage.

Interesting. I assumed that once the convertor was fully engaged, the 1:1 was literal. Is there still slippage at the top end of the track?

We totally overthink this gearing thing. The rule of thumb should be to match the tire size to the gear ratio, so that you are running through the traps at the top of 4th. Bigger HP trucks can run a bigger tire, and thus use a taller gear. The reason short gears don't work on the track is that they require a shift to 5th gear prior to crossing the line.

Crap, that's my whole problem----I jus got 4 gears. :dontknow:

So 4.10's are a good idea on a high he truck?

Yes 4.10's are a better choice for high HP street trucks. It will help with traction and let each gear pull longer. Instead of blowing through the rpms. The extra power will pull that gear. Just my 2 cents

Swapping gears on a street truck is pointless, just because of the fact that even stock trucks have no problem killing tires. If you want to go to the race track leave the gears alone and buy the appropriate sized tire

Swapping gears on a street truck is pointless, just because of the fact that even stock trucks have no problem killing tires. If you want to go to the race track leave the gears alone and buy the appropriate sized tire

I disagree. I drove a truck that made 799rwhp with 4.56's and would hold 3rd gear. I had to peddle 2nd gear and knowing what I know. With better weight distribution and traction devices along with 4.10's I believe I will be able to use 2nd some.

I disagree. I drove a truck that made 799rwhp with 4.56's and would hold 3rd gear. I had to peddle 2nd gear and knowing what I know. With better weight distribution and traction devices along with 4.10's I believe I will be able to use 2nd some.

My truck is only 460ish at the wheels with 4.10's and still has traction issues in second gear, the one time I sprayed it on the street using slicks it ended up in the oncoming lane of traffic by the time I got it under control.

None of this applies to the QC's, only the RC's. My personal opinion is that gears are a fantastic mod for QC.

Do you mean just for racing or what about DD? haven't had mine on the track-----ever, but Scott keeps badgering I just may. But mine is a DD and wonder if you mean a gear mod for my QC.

Ive drove Doms with everything from 3.55-4.10, I also swapped mine to 4.10's from the factory 4.56 as soon as I added nitrous. IMO I would never go above (numerically) a 4.10 in anything that makes a few hundred HP over stock unless you are running a very tall tire (32-33"+), even then Id rather have the 4.10. I think the 4.10 works good to around 900-1000whp then I would drop to a 3.73 especially in a 6 speed truck. 4.10's with T56 is 10.9:1 in first gear, thats steep! Doms on about 900whp with 8.80 1st gear ratio (and 32" tire):

7989232942_a2f398ae72_c.jpg

E, I told you saturday that 4:10 is the way to go. Just throw my spare 04 rear under your truck and you will be so much happier.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back