GMC Syclone owners

RAMDUDE

DOGFATHER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always liked these trucks, And now I am thinking of buying one.

still keeping the 10. has anyone owned this truck before, looking for pro's VS con's here.

thanks.

I thought about one awhile ago. They may be fast, but they are built like a POS. The interior is still a 20 year old truck.

I thought about one awhile ago. They may be fast, but they are built like a POS. The interior is still a 20 year old truck.

I understand that.

as it is true, The interior is dated from the 90's. but still all in all a great truck to have.

Unless you find one that was very well taken care of, the old GM plastic just didn't hold up well. Let alone 20 years later. Same for the paint. Most of them have been repainted by now, or has bad paint on the hood and roof. As for the engine themselves. By now the turbo either has been rebuilt, or is needing to. Mileage on them differs greatly. Some with very low miles, others pushing 150,000 or more. The low mile ones the owners are asking $$$ for them.
There is a LS2 powered pro street on ebay right now :drool:

Unless you find one that was very well taken care of, the old GM plastic just didn't hold up well. Let alone 20 years later. Same for the paint. Most of them have been repainted by now, or has bad paint on the hood and roof. As for the engine themselves. By now the turbo either has been rebuilt, or is needing to. Mileage on them differs greatly. Some with very low miles, others pushing 150,000 or more. The low mile ones the owners are asking $$$ for them.
There is a LS2 powered pro street on ebay right now :drool:

haha I seen that one, looks sick dont it.

I have found a few with 80xxx miles on it, under 15K

Just something I am tossing around in my head. might break out and buy something different, Not sure yet. Want to get a DD but want something with a lil ass behind it ya know.

My neighbor owns one. Keeps it in his garage and never drives it. He would never sell it but I could ask if you want.

Really cool rides but you had better know how to wrench on them. My friend blew his engine 3 times in his before he sold it.

My neighbor owns one. Keeps it in his garage and never drives it. He would never sell it but I could ask if you want.

Not as of yet, thanks tho.

I'm trying to get my money right, and see where I sit at 100%

:dito: I traded for one last year, could'nt wait to drive it home. WOW what a disapointment. Handled like crap,rattled and was slow. Mine was well cared for but they don't age well. Drive one before you buy one.

They were considered fast when they came out. Not so much anymore. I believe they ran 13.5 in the 1/4.

They were considered fast when they came out. Not so much anymore. I believe they ran 13.5 in the 1/4.

thats what these trucks did also, so for the year and what it is. I would say thats not to bad.

I know the 262 4.3 is not a trash motor, I am shocked to keep hearing so many bad things about it. must of been something they did to it for that turbo going on.

Of course I would test drive it lol I mean who would not to be honest.

kinda hard to swallow so many negative things about this truck, when I hear about members on here blowing up 2 or even 3 engines ?

but it's the truck of course, never the owners.

Not sure about the motors. That engine has been out for awhile I thought. Maybe they just can't handle the turbo. :dontknow:
I remember back when I use to install car phones and do car audio back in the 90's, there was one at the dealer I had to go pull the phone out of. The engine caught fire in that one. The whole front of the truck was burnt to a crisp.

thats what these trucks did also, so for the year and what it is. I would say thats not to bad.

I know the 262 4.3 is not a trash motor, I am shocked to keep hearing so many bad things about it. must of been something they did to it for that turbo going on.

Of course I would test drive it lol I mean who would not to be honest.

kinda hard to swallow so many negative things about this truck, when I hear about members on here blowing up 2 or even 3 engines ?

but it's the truck of course, never the owners.

My buddy that blew up his engine a few times had that thing pretty "tweaked" though. I'm sure that had the most to do with it. It is hard not to mod the heck out of something with a turbo:drool:

I owned a 1992 Typhoon for a few years. I did test drive one and bought it. I wish i would have done more research before buying. If your good at wrenching and enjoy it then this is a truck for you. Long story short to get the truck running 100% or back to the same as 1992 it takes some work. I live close to some of the best tuners in North America so i had lot's of guidance near buy. When you test drive the Syclone it will probly feel slow unless it is modded and if it's modded you better hope it was done properly. With that being said u may want to mod your Syclone the best site for that is powertuneplus.com/. It will give you stages and prices and alot of good stuff alot of info there. I would also lurk around the sy/ty.net forum for more info and anymore questions you have there. The guys are pretty nice there. Lastly if you want PM me and i can give you a friends name that is a mechanic and owns a few Sy's and Ty's that is a Guru of these machines. He can answer all your questions. I'm not saying these machines are not cool,they just need alot of attention to get to running to there full potential.
I finally got my TY running good then i sold it for my 10 NO REGRETS there. Plus there not that good on gas. My buddies Ty is over 650hp to the wheels last time i rode with him i snapped his passenger seat.(he has lot's of mods:rock:)

Why not go for an Omni GLHS. Old, fast, and crappy looking too. LOL!!! At least its a mopar....

Why not go for an Omni GLHS. Old, fast, and crappy looking too. LOL!!! At least its a mopar....

I had a girlfriend in high school that had one. That thing was a blast to drive. So was the car :p

My dad has a Sy. He is working on it in his spare time. It is kinda' worn out.

The biggest problem people had with these were the crappy pistons (does that ring a bell?) That plus the ECU at that time wasn't really capable enough to manage the engine. Once it started pinging real bad, it would eat the pistons.

The guys that made them work well built forged motors and ran a separate fuel controller of some type to make them live. Oh, and they also had a cruddy intercooler from the factory. Those and the turbos had to be upgraded.

Other than the motors falling out, the crappy plastic interiors, the bad gas mileage, and high cost to insure, they were great.

Damn well sounds like either go to their forums and do some previous thread research yourself or just say screw it......I myself am currently tossing around ideas so I know the feeling.....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back