Hats off to Suncoast!

Jfireboy1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! I really didn't know what to say to Ron and the guys over at Suncoast Converters yesterday. As some of you may know I was having problems with my tranny and because it was a Suncoast naturally I drove it to them to get fixed. I love the fact that if you make an appointment you can literally drop the tranny off at 8am and be driving home the same day at 6:30 pm with a totally rebuilt tranny. Anyway to make a long story short not only did they rebuild it quick but they didn't charge me a penny! Yep not one cent, and that's with them putting in a new billet drum for third gear. That's an $800 dollar drum! I had the tranny built not even 2000 miles ago by them before this happened and we don't know the exact cause but all I can say is Ron is one of the nicest guys I've ever had the opportunity to deal with. As I was waiting in the waiting area he sat there for a good hour and discussed numerous topics of sorts . Not the sort of thing you would expect from a multimillion dollar making business owner that has 30 employees and lots to do. When it was done I went to pay and he said don't worry I'm warranting it for you. My jaw dropped and didn't know what to say. I've never once experienced any shop do that even we they didn't have too. There was no warranty left and he did that. All I can say is he has earned my bussiness forever!!!!! Go Suncoast!!!!!!!

That's a great story! It goes to show that not everyone in the automotive industry is a crook like some people believe. Thanks for sharing.

Great story bro! Awesome to hear this. I've talked with you and Santeen and I understand how frustrated you were. That's great Suncoast was generous enough to do that. Guess it'll be longer before you switch to a six speed then :dontknow: :D

That's awesome that they stand behind there product like that!! That's what a good business does!!! Great to hear!
What caused the failure???

That's awesome that they stand behind there product like that!! That's what a good business does!!! Great to hear!
What caused the failure???

No really sure if it was a first or secondary failure of the third gear clutch pack. Either due to torque converter failure or debris or something else. Third gear totally disintegrated and washer/spacer that hold drum in place allowed the drum to move back and forth. He said that if it hadn't been for the fact that I had billet drums that it could have blown apart and pieces of metal come through the floor board.

Also guys .... For those thinking the 4l80e would be a good fix or answer to the 48re. Don't even think about it. Ron at Suncoast already did it and the truck only made 3 passes down the track before the tranny went. He says on a stock truck it would hold up a little better but not much. Says when it comes to torque and hp and drivability that the 48re is the only way to go unless you go with a built t56. I still want a t56 in the future for the pure fun of 6 gears and 3 more mpg.

No really sure if it was a first or secondary failure of the third gear clutch pack. Either due to torque converter failure or debris or something else. Third gear totally disintegrated and washer/spacer that hold drum in place allowed the drum to move back and forth. He said that if it hadn't been for the fact that I had billet drums that it could have blown apart and pieces of metal come through the floor board.

If I'm not mistaken that somewhat of a similar story of what happened to NowWhat's Suncoast built tranny after 12,000 miles and Suncoast also did something similar for the new owner Tidnab when he took the truck in. Maybe Ryan (Tidnab) will chime in on this soon.

Ryan may be chiming in soon but I was wrong in saying Suncoast built the tranny. It was Westminster Transmissions. Not the same customer service as said above. Maybe Ryan will fill us in?

Last edited:

It sounds like it was a little under built to have failure so early??
My HTS tranny is holding up beautifully and still strong as day I put it in, got 3 seasons on it, all with a supercharger over 8psi boost.
That's still fantastic they stood behind it especially after warranty ran out.

Very Interesting

It sounds like it was a little under built to have failure so early??
My HTS tranny is holding up beautifully and still strong as day I put it in, got 3 seasons on it, all with a supercharger over 8psi boost.
That's still fantastic they stood behind it especially after warranty ran out.

Not under built. It's their full built billet tranny.

That is a great story, if mine ever goes, I hope I get that lucky haha

Full built billet!! Ohhhhhh. OK!
How much power were you pushing threw it And for how long?

Wasn't a matter of the power going through it that caused the failure. Tranny failure was secondary to possibly something else.

Wasn't a matter of the power going through it that caused the failure. Tranny failure was secondary to possibly something else.

Ok. I wasn't trying to bash your tranny, just trying to get an understanding of what went wrong with it, I'm sure there's lots of others wondering the same thing???

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back