head and cam combos

68charger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
anybody have any opinions on the different head and cam options out there. I know strikers are the best but expensive, Roe has a kit with impressive gains they claim 710 crank hp on there web site and Greg Good has a good rep. for his head work. does anyone here have any experience or opinions of these or any other head and cam set ups out there :burnout:

If your looking to stay N/A contact Trainman or RottenRonnie!

I know Ron and the Trainman are the guru's on n/a builds:D just wanted to see if anybody had any opinions or insight on this topic:rock:

I'm in the same boat, having a fat qc I need more power. Stryker/Cam combo is prob the way to go, but you gotta pay to play. I've heard plenty good about Greg's porting. I've talked with Row about getting a 710 cam installed with required headwork. Your looking at $5-6k for a 710 installed by Row. Not saying that's a bad price, but I wouldn't let just anybody touch my baby!

I'm in the same boat, having a fat qc I need more power. Stryker/Cam combo is prob the way to go, but you gotta pay to play. I've heard plenty good about Greg's porting. I've talked with Row about getting a 710 cam installed with required headwork. Your looking at $5-6k for a 710 installed by Row. Not saying that's a bad price, but I wouldn't let just anybody touch my baby!

how much hp will a 710 cam get you?

how much for the cam and heads?

And what all else needs to be done in the heads/cam job. tune, inject, etc??? do you have to go forged internals for this???

Greg Good gives you the best bang for the buck by far. He has been porting heads for many years, and porting Viper heads ever since Dodge started building Vipers. He built my engine and heads for an FI application (currently the highest hp supercharged application on a Ram SRT10). My Greg Good built engine/heads made more hp than Eric's build and Eric used high dollar Strikers and a high dollar Hogan intake on his build. All of my specs are posted on my build sheet on this forum. I believe that a Greg Good set of heads on an NA Viper build also have the NA Viper record.

Contact Louie at AMS Engines,he will make you a custom cam for your application,not a multi purpose cam,tell him what your goal is and he will design it for ya Randy.Louie will port and polish your heads also with custom cam(,you will have to call him for exact price),give him a ring.
http://amsengines.com/

Last edited:
I know Ron and the Trainman are the guru's on n/a builds:D just wanted to see if anybody had any opinions or insight on this topic:rock:

Please...I am not a guru, my engine is pure stock inside, I have never even removed a valve cover, I am not a mechanic, just a driver. RottenRonnie is very knowledgeable. However, if I was to rebuild my engine, I would seriously consider a set of Striker Street heads (not race) to maintain torque, a bump in compression to between 10.5 and 11 to1, and a custom cam. That Roe 710 cam looks interesting.

Please...I am not a guru, my engine is pure stock inside, I have never even removed a valve cover, I am not a mechanic, just a driver. RottenRonnie is very knowledgeable. However, if I was to rebuild my engine, I would seriously consider a set of Striker Street heads (not race) to maintain torque, a bump in compression to between 10.5 and 11 to1, and a custom cam. That Roe 710 cam looks interesting.

No gurus' here either...
There are head/cam choices out there.
Like Trainman said, try to BUILD TORQUE with these trucks. If you have a flyweight vehicle, you can afford to concentrate more on horsepower than torque production. And, thanks for the compliment Jerry..;)

The Strikers and the Geb IV heads are excellent.
They are both scienced-out units, so be cautious about claims of massive power improvements through porting. My advice if you are going to use either of these heads, LEAVE THEM ALONE.
Guys in the Chrysler Airflow division have done additional porting on the Gen IVs and know EXACTLY what they can and can't do. I'm not talking c.f.m. values here, but actual POWER improvements through porting. Without relocating the guides on the Stage IVs (a re-casting), there isn't much left in them. They work very well just as they are. Same goes for the Strikers. I'd be very cautious if you are making changes to either. I'd try either of them out of the box first before tearing into something that is ready to bolt on AND ACTUALLY WORK.

Strikers for example are designed for an improvement in horsepower and torque between 2500 and 5800 which work well with the cars and the trucks.

But in every case, don't assume that if a head flows more, it is going to make more power. It isn't that simple and in many cases, more flow (past a certain point) can cost you power. It depends on what your porter knows and doesn't know.

If the Gen IV conversion doesn't come to pass and the Strikers aren't back into production, that leaves the o.e.m. heads. Properly ported Gen IIIs can make some good power. It depends on who ports them. You could talk to Greg Good. Let him know what your expectations are...

Ronnie

Last edited:
Sounds pretty expert to me:burnout:

No gurus' here either...
There are head/cam choices out there.
Like Trainman said, try to BUILD TORQUE with these trucks. If you have a flyweight vehicle, you can afford to concentrate more on horsepower than torque production. And, thanks for the compliment Jerry..;)

The Strikers and the Stage IV heads are excellent.
They are both scienced-out units, so be cautious about claims of massive power improvements through porting. My advice if you are going to use either of these heads, LEAVE THEM ALONE.
Guys in the Chrysler Airflow division have done additional porting on the Stage IVs and know EXACTLY what they can and can't do. I'm not talking c.f.m. values here, but actual POWER improvements through porting. Without relocating the guides on the Stage IVs (a re-casting), there isn't much left in them. They work very well just as they are. Same goes for the Strikers. I'd be very cautious if you are making changes to either. I'd try either of them out of the box first before tearing into something that is ready to bolt on AND ACTUALLY WORK.

Strikers for example are designed for an improvement in horsepower and torque between 2500 and 5800 which work well with the cars and the trucks.

But in every case, don't assume that if a head flows more, it is going to make more power. It isn't that simple and in many cases, more flow (past a certain point) can cost you power. It depends on what your porter knows and doesn't know.

If the Stage IV conversion doesn't come to pass and the Strikers aren't back into production, that leaves the o.e.m. heads. Properly ported Gen IIIs can make some good power. It depends on who ports them. You could talk to Greg Good. Let him know what your expectations are...

Ronnie

If the Stage IV conversion doesn't come to pass and the Strikers aren't back into production, that leaves the o.e.m. heads. Properly ported Gen IIIs can make some good power. It depends on who ports them. You could talk to Greg Good. Let him know what your expectations are...

Ronnie[/QUOTE]

so J.M. isn't making Strikers anymore? i'm not familier with Stage IV heads

JM Cylinder Heads (Strikers, ported o.e.m., Hemi, SRT-4, etc) is currently up for sale. All the programs for making the hardware still exists.
But until it is sold, all existing inventory is on hold.

Sorry '68, I should have said The GEN IV heads which are the 2008 and newer factory Viper heads. There is (again) a conversion program underway to adapt them to the Gen IIIs. They are an excellent head and are what gives the Gen IVs the lion's share of the additional 100 horsepower over what the Gen IIIs make.
I'll post up when the Striker's and the ported o.e.m. heads are available again.

Ronnie

Last edited:
JM Cylinder Heads (Strikers, ported o.e.m., Hemi, SRT-4, etc) is currently up for sale. All the programs for making the hardware still exists.
But until it is sold, all existing inventory is on hold.

Sorry '68, I should have said The GEN IV heads which are the 2008 and newer factory Viper heads. There is (again) a conversion program underway to adapt them to the Gen IIIs. They are an excellent head and are what gives the Gen IVs the lion's share of the additional 100 horsepower over what the Gen IIIs make.
I'll post up when the Striker's and the ported o.e.m. heads are available again.

Ronnie

ARe yourefering to SRT10VENOMOUS' build? didnt he make some EXCEPTIONAL power gains with tis setup? last i heard he was putin out very good numbers with a slipping clutch. hads any more progress been made

we were up as high as 610rwhp, at 18% drivetrain loss thats in the 720 hp range, and ran into some trani issues.. Now re doing the trani..

I dont know what to do with this thing, seams that the power is tearing up a lot of the stock drivetrain,
There are several guys interested in this set up that are at our shop, so I might pull it and sell it to one of these guys who has more time to play with the braking parts that this hp is causing.. Maybe its just my truck but I just want to drive the dam thing lol.. So who knows maybe ill return her back to a stock head port and polish and just drive it.. Sucks when it sits broken for months on end..

So who knows.. Will let ya know how it turns out..

i thought there were all kinds of guys runnin high HP #s through the stock drivetrain?? i thought all you got to do is toughen up the spiders and DS?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back