Help..! Backup Camera Project:

Django

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys n girls,

I'm seriously considering a backup camera for my truck. My neighbor has 2 young kids and they can appear out'a fkn nowhere.... The blindness cone behind the truck is an issue and I want to alleviate the potential dangers...

I've heard than some of you here have these units and I'd be grateful for any input on the best bang for the buck and installation....

Ideally, I'd like a unit that has a decent screen... not the unit that wires into a combination rear view mirrow/backup camera application.... The local guys have said that a good screen is about $150 (6 inch Valor VH600WSD) and $160 for an Audiovox (#CCDLS) camera.... plus $150 labor..... The labor I can get done for alot less from a guy who does car shit for me...

Anyone have any input or experience they'd like to share...?

Thanks in advance....:rock:

D

The FX35, QX56, and the new SRT/8 had/have backup cameras. They are great.

Sorry I cannot help you any on the aftermarket ones. All the ones I have had were factory installed.

These days back up cameras are a must. Personally I feel a camera will serve you better than back up sensors. Kids have always made me nervous when around my vehicles while I'm driving. They are way too unpredictable. I'm currently in the process of having a camera and dedicated screen installed as well. I’m going with a 7â€￾ wide screen custom mounted in the shifter console and a color/night vision camera hidden real clean in the rear. I will post pictures of the completed project.

I have a Backup camera in a windowless Ford Van . It is an absolute must given no windows. Dont recall the brand but cost around $500 installed

D...saw a camera on a license plate frame....looked simple enough...

just put one of those back up alarms on instead....beep....beep....beep...:D

If they get hit then....it is darwinism...:D

Train horns will solve the children problem!

Nowwhat said:

"Survival of the fittest...?":p ;) :eek: :D

Bone said:
Train horns will solve the children problem!

You guys slay me.............:rock:

D

Last edited:
Nowwhat said:

I came real close to running over a child once years ago. Luckily the mother happened to notice at the last second where her child was and screamed.

Not sure it would have been something I could have lived with.

Django said:
Hey guys n girls,

I'm seriously considering a backup camera for my truck. My neighbor has 2 young kids and they can appear out'a fkn nowhere.... The blindness cone behind the truck is an issue and I want to alleviate the potential dangers...

I've heard than some of you here have these units and I'd be grateful for any input on the best bang for the buck and installation....

Ideally, I'd like a unit that has a decent screen... not the unit that wires into a combination rear view mirrow/backup camera application.... The local guys have said that a good screen is about $150 (6 inch Valor VH600WSD) and $160 for an Audiovox (#CCDLS) camera.... plus $150 labor..... The labor I can get done for alot less from a guy who does car shit for me...

Anyone have any input or experience they'd like to share...?

Thanks in advance....:rock:

D
next time you get home instead of pulling in your driveway...back in:congrats: :congrats: and save a kid and some money!!!!!

505'sFastestViper. said:
next time you get home instead of pulling in your driveway...back in:congrats: :congrats: and save a kid and some money!!!!!

Certainly sounds easy enough in theory..... But backing up (either way) creates the neccesity for the camera..... It doesn't matter which way ya' back up... Yer still fkn backing up.........:dontknow:

I think your perception of my driveway is that of a normal one.. (a row of houses lining the street - all next to each other with driveways..... It isn't like that) I am on a flag lot and I share a driveway with my next door neighbor..... Makes it really dicey when there's six cars in the driveway and someone wants to get out...

Ya kinda need to see it to understand....

D

Here are a few pics of my backup camera setup.

It's mounted just to the left of the license plate. I'm not too sure about the brand or cost of the camera. I had a local audio/video store install it. The monitor is located underneath the center seat just beside the driver. I got the tv off of ebay. This is just a monitor that is made to fit into a headrest. If you need more exact dimensions or the brand I would be more than happy to go look for you. Anytime the truck is in reverse, the tv displays the backup camera image. Any other time, the tv runs off of the flip down tv/dvd player in the back.

Attachments

• DSCN1128without license plate.JPG
    DSCN1128without license plate.JPG
    751.3 KB · Views: 2,818
  • DSCN1107without license plate.JPG
    DSCN1107without license plate.JPG
    639.3 KB · Views: 1,020
  • PICT0351.JPG
    PICT0351.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
  • DSCN1096.JPG
    DSCN1096.JPG
    827.5 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN1101.JPG
    DSCN1101.JPG
    727.5 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCN1485.JPG
    DSCN1485.JPG
    600.9 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN1487.JPG
    DSCN1487.JPG
    950.8 KB · Views: 266
wannarace? said:
Here are a few pics of my backup camera setup.

It's mounted just to the left of the license plate. I'm not too sure about the brand or cost of the camera. I had a local audio/video store install it. The monitor is located underneath the center seat just beside the driver. I got the tv off of ebay. This is just a monitor that is made to fit into a headrest. If you need more exact dimensions or the brand I would be more than happy to go look for you. Anytime the truck is in reverse, the tv displays the backup camera image. Any other time, the tv runs off of the flip down tv/dvd player in the back.

Cool, so that camera is actually mounted (and a hole drilled) straight thru the bumper..........What do ya think about the ones that fasten to the license plate frame....?

I love the idea of putting the monitor under the jump seat..... But where will I put my GLOCK now.................:dontknow: :eek:

Thanks very much for the piks bro...... :rock: BTW You have the carbon fibre dash kit like mine....;)

D

Last edited:
Django said:
Cool, so that camera is actually mounted (and a hole drilled) straight thru the bumper..........What do ya think about the ones that fasten to the license plate frame....?

I love the idea of putting the monitor under the jump seat..... But where will I put my GLOCK now.................:dontknow: :eek:

Thanks very much for the piks bro...... :rock: BTW You have the carbon fibre dash kit like mine...

D

I havnt really looked into the ones that clip on to the plate frame. I would just wonder about the quality of the picture for those. I've been very happy with this camera. And with all of those LED's surrounding it, it lights up everything in the dark which makes it even better to see.

As for the glock, maybe you can rig up some kind of holster under the steering wheel... or rig up a holster on the shifter and make it a real pistol-grip! :rock:

You are the only other person I know with this carbon fiber dash too. If only you knew how many pm's i've gotten on where I've gotten that dash kit from... and I have no clue because it was already on there when I bought the truck. Got any idea where it came from so i can let all of the inquisitive people know?:confused:

wannarace? said:
I havnt really looked into the ones that clip on to the plate frame. I would just wonder about the quality of the picture for those. I've been very happy with this camera. And with all of those LED's surrounding it, it lights up everything in the dark which makes it even better to see.

As for the glock, maybe you can rig up some kind of holster under the steering wheel... or rig up a holster on the shifter and make it a real pistol-grip! :rock:

You are the only other person I know with this carbon fiber dash too. If only you knew how many pm's i've gotten on where I've gotten that dash kit from... and I have no clue because it was already on there when I bought the truck. Got any idea where it came from so i can let all of the inquisitive people know?:confused:

Good point about the LEDs and visibility. I'm just a little hinky about drilling into the bumper.... Did it require touching up the paint after you drilled it... Or does it come with a bezel to finish it off...?

BTW....You are a funny man.........."a real pistol grip" indeed. Maybe we should be ordering our shifter grips from Pachmayr.

I'm pretty sure this is where I got the carbon fibre dash kit......

http://www.wowtrim.com/store/p/404-...nd-3500-03-05-Basic-Kit-2-4-Door-22-Pcs-.html

Thanks again for your help, my friend...:rock:

D

as far as touching up, here's a trick when you drill through a painted surface, use masking tape and drill through the tape. it keeps the paint from chipping and leaves a clean hole.

Django said:
Good point about the LEDs and visibility. I'm just a little hinky about drilling into the bumper.... Did it require touching up the paint after you drilled it... Or does it come with a bezel to finish it off...?

BTW....You are a funny man.........."a real pistol grip" indeed. Maybe we should be ordering our shifter grips from Pachmayr.

I'm pretty sure this is where I got the carbon fibre dash kit......

http://www.wowtrim.com/store/p/404-...nd-3500-03-05-Basic-Kit-2-4-Door-22-Pcs-.html

Thanks again for your help, my friend...:rock:

D

I was the same way about drilling. Never really liked that idea. That's why I went the the shop to install it. If they mess it up, they pay for it. And I figured they had more experience with installing them. I didnt really want to experiment with my drilling abilities on an SRT 10.
Sorry I couldn't help more with how its installed. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to install it yourself, though.

And thanks for that website of the dash. Thats the one. Now I can actually know what I'm talking about when I try to help people out.

Well, it's been good talking to you but I've got to be going to bed now. Good luck with your search for a backup camera and let me know if you want to know anything else about mine. Later. :sleep:

instalation is fairly simple on a system like that. all that it involves really is A mounting camera. B running wire from camera to screen. C running power to the screen. D (optional) running the power off of the reverse switch located on trans. if you do this, it will automatically turn on when in reverse, and off when not. the other way is to just run a switch that you turn on and off when you want. a beginner can do this in a day without problems. now a factory integrated system is tougher in most cases. hope this helps

Tim I have a license plate mount, backup camera that I will install after the Nats and give you a report.

The wife's Murano has a factory backup camera, and it is great so I will have something to compare the plate camera with.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back