Help..! Backup Camera Project:

I think the cameras are okay BUT everyone is missing the main point, whenever you drive a vehicle like a truck, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS do your backing first while you have been driving for awhile and can see the location you are placing the truck, then when you come out of your house or mall or restaurant or whatever, you DON"T HAVE TO DO ANY BACKING, rather you pull forward out of the parking space !! Good rule DO YOUR BACKING FIRST, and you will not have any backing surprises....I personally still like the sensor warning system that helps you to know how close you are to something when backing, the cameras have a tendency to take your view away from your mirrors and where backing to, and also the camera unless a fisheye type doesn't always show your bumper proximity to the wall or bushes or another vehicle as clear as you may think !! My $.02 ...

Pastohio said:
I think the cameras are okay BUT everyone is missing the main point, whenever you drive a vehicle like a truck, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS do your backing first while you have been driving for awhile and can see the location you are placing the truck, then when you come out of your house or mall or restaurant or whatever, you DON"T HAVE TO DO ANY BACKING, rather you pull forward out of the parking space !! Good rule DO YOUR BACKING FIRST, and you will not have any backing surprises....I personally still like the sensor warning system that helps you to know how close you are to something when backing, the cameras have a tendency to take your view away from your mirrors and where backing to, and also the camera unless a fisheye type doesn't always show your bumper proximity to the wall or bushes or another vehicle as clear as you may think !! My $.02 ...

Those are some very good points. Something I've always noticed was the point made about taking your attention away from the mirrors and whats around you while backing up. Especially with me having the screen down in the floorboard. I have to back up twice as slow when using the camera just to give me time to keep checking the mirrors too. And I also agree that it's hard sometimes to judge depth perception from a camera at that point of view. But there are many times when the camera has been useful.
Backing up first is always a good idea but since D shares a driveway with his neighbor, that might not always be an option, thus the need for a backup camera or sensor. I feel like its all about your personal preferences with whatever you chose, but its better to be safe than sorry in matters like this. Especially if children are always around.

Django said:
Certainly sounds easy enough in theory..... But backing up (either way) creates the neccesity for the camera..... It doesn't matter which way ya' back up... Yer still fkn backing up.........:dontknow:

I think your perception of my driveway is that of a normal one.. (a row of houses lining the street - all next to each other with driveways..... It isn't like that) I am on a flag lot and I share a driveway with my next door neighbor..... Makes it really dicey when there's six cars in the driveway and someone wants to get out...

Ya kinda need to see it to understand....

D
well maybe you could just park your truck in the street or at my house i dont have that problem!:)

505'sFastestViper. said:
well maybe you could just park your truck in the street or at my house i dont have that problem!:)

I don't think I should make this my first post of the day.....

Lynette, may I have another cupp'a coffee, if you would be so kind....

D

Venom Power said:
Wow,wannarace has a real clean camera set up..

Yes....

The only drawback is the (albeit convenient) placement of the monitor....

The fact that it's under the jump seat console makes it (as he mentioned) a bit slow in watching all your mirrors the monitor at once.

I'm thinking that the monitor should be mounted in the squarish "catch all" tray in the shifter console.....or maybe somehow in the small shelf in the dash under the A/C controls if possible.....

Not really sure yet.....:dontknow:

D

Last edited:
Django said:
Yes....

The only drawback is the (albeit convenient) placement of the monitor....

The fact that it's under the jump seat console makes it (as he mentioned) a bit slow in watching all your mirrors the monitor at once.

I'm thinking that the monitor should be mounted in the squarish "catch all" tray in the shifter console.....or maybe somehow in the small shelf in the dash under the A/C controls if possible.....

Not really sure yet.....:dontknow:

D

No NO you got it pegged D.. That's exactly what I planned... The catch all square. I don't want to have to look down so I attempted to do it overhead, but no workie. I have to mount it below where you mentioned. Custom console though...

Venom Power said:
No NO you got it pegged D.. That's exactly what I planned... The catch all square. I don't want to have to look down so I attempted to do it overhead, but no workie. I have to mount it below where you mentioned. Custom console though...

If there's some way to mount it, either in the shelf thing or where the cd storage is, I'd go for that.......Probably have to use sticky tape , though.... Not my fave..

D

Maybe you could get a screen to go in your visor. Or if you dont want to cut anything or make anything permanent, maybe get a screen that's flat enough and light enough and just use some heavy duty velcro... just an idea. it seems like the perfect place as far as being in your field of vision, too.

:idea:

Django said:
If there's some way to mount it, either in the shelf thing or where the cd storage is, I'd go for that.......Probably have to use sticky tape , though.... Not my fave..

D
here would be my idea if you don't have a DVD unit.

http://qualitymobilevideo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LBMS5200

or for more choices: http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/rearview-mirror-monitors.html

It would allow you to still keep an eye on your mirrors and what can't be seen. :D

Yeah it's one of those ones you can't win... you get a bigger picture but then you've got this massive rear-view mirror. :)

I personally like the DVD in-dash choice because of all the fun you can have with it. But then your looking at a 2000 dollar deal.. so, i dunno.. maybe install the camera cause you can always use with anything and just run it to a cheap Wal-Mart screen that's held in the visor.

You can find all different kinds of visor monitors out there. I'm sure it wouldnt be too hard to find the right one.

Deibs said:
Yeah it's one of those ones you can't win... you get a bigger picture but then you've got this massive rear-view mirror. :)

I personally like the DVD in-dash choice because of all the fun you can have with it. But then your looking at a 2000 dollar deal.. so, i dunno.. maybe install the camera cause you can always use with anything and just run it to a cheap Wal-Mart screen that's held in the visor.

I already have he DVD in-dash set up, but I already have so much hooked up to that (NAV, XBOX, Trip info, iPOD). Shifting in reverse will override any or all of that and disrupt the entertainment (my daughter will flip if her show switches to a picture of her bike behind us). So a dedicated screen down below in the catch-all :dontknow: will have to do.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back