Help guys, truck running crappy and I give up!

VENOMOUS1 said:
I have been for the most part silently trying to fix an issue with the 10 that aggrevates the crap outta me. Usually ask for help at my wits end, so here I am. My mileage has gone to crap from 14.5 to about 11.5 and the power seems to come and go. I am 99% confident it is a sensor, but which one?
Scenario:
Mostly happens at cruising speed around 60MPH with a steady throttle and even road. Seems to have something to do with the throttle being barely open, whether cruising through a parking lot with the throttle barely cracked, or doing 60 with throttle barely cracked. Pretty much another reason I was thinking TPS. The engine will start sputtering and falls on its face and I have to give more throttle to maintain speed. As soon as I hit the gas a little more, she darts forward and quits the sputtering. While she does this there is a messload of unburned fuel coming out the exhaust to the point where I smell it in the cab at 60mph? I have tried to just let this continue on to get a check engine light or something, but she never says anything. ( my check engine light does work) She also shifts quicker than she used to like and older car with a vacuum leak at the tranny modulator. Just normal accelerating it shifts to second at about 10 mph and all the other gears early bogging the motor down. I believe this is caused by whatever sensor is involved with tranny shift points also.

Here are the things I have done to remedy this situation to no avail and what I think could be culprit. I am going to try and borrow a Scan Tool that Chrysler uses to log and visually watch the sensors as I am driving and when it acts up see what is acting up.

1. Changed plugs and wires
2. Added Screamin Demon coil packs.
3. Changed tranny fluid and filter and new tranny sensors from MOPAR
4. Changed TPS as this seemed reasonable by everyone else's issues like this.

None of the above made the slightest difference at all with respect to fixing the issue at hand.

Things I think could be culprit:
1. Fuel pump/filter which I cannot access to change? Acetone her?
2. MAP sensor since that feed the computer all airflow info since we have no
MAF.
3. Coolant temp sensor- Have seen them read 0 degrees on a 90 degree day and vice versa.
4. Intake Air Sensor- seen them read incorrect temps and cause issues.
5. Cam and Crank sensors? I go more likely with cam sensor as I've seen more cars not even run with bad crank sensor.

Please help if you have run into anything similar or have any knowledge to share.

Thanks, Scott:mad:

HELLO!!!!! O2 sensor(s) first. upstream only....

scoobert said:

HELLO!!!!! O2 sensor(s) first. upstream only....

Sorry damnit, I did it again, O2s were both replaced as well to try and cure problem. Thanks Scoob.:rock:

I know it was said once before but I think it is a vacuum leak, carbon build up behind your throttle body, or your idle screw hanging up when you give it slight throttle

Last edited:
Has anyone thought of checking for Clogged Cats ???

I have read sever threads about Poor Performance, Spitting, Sputtering, and general loss of power. The problem was finally discovered to be Clogged Cata and after they were replaced the problems went away.. :)

Along with watching the fuel pressure when it happens, also watch what the O2's are reading. Do they go rich (.750-1.000v) or low (.000-.250v)?

Well if it's of any help my truck kinda does the same thing. It idles very rough , almost wants to stall unles I give it gas. Once I give it gas it's fine. It also seems to be running rich when it is having the problem. Only difference between mine and yours is my check engine light would come on and read a vacuum line leak. Came to find a vacuum line from the evaporator was leaking.

My qc was doing something similar to what you are describing. there are some body grounds on both fenders under the hood on the upper edges. take the bolts out and scrape the paint off the fenders and bolt them back up. that took care of all my problems. give it a shot dosent cost anything just a little time .

ws62000 said:
My qc was doing something similar to what you are describing. there are some body grounds on both fenders under the hood on the upper edges. take the bolts out and scrape the paint off the fenders and bolt them back up. that took care of all my problems. give it a shot dosent cost anything just a little time .

Thats weird...what were the wires grounding?

Da1Chief said:
Has anyone thought of checking for Clogged Cats ???

I have read sever threads about Poor Performance, Spitting, Sputtering, and general loss of power. The problem was finally discovered to be Clogged Cata and after they were replaced the problems went away.. :)

Yea i thought of that one but check his sig.....no cats! :D

the truck did not seem to run crappy today man ;) lol

anyways hope u figure the problem out

VENOMOUS1 said:
Sorry damnit, I did it again, O2s were both replaced as well to try and cure problem. Thanks Scoob.:rock:

hmmmm, my second guess would be EGR, seeing as how the truck don't have one, maf, map, or whatever the truck DOES HAVE. def a mixture issue if it is surging. fuel filter been changed?

Give Scoob a snack as he nailed it maybe. Stingray as well!!
While logging it finally acted up so I hit record, and I have a bad (new O2) which i doubt cause it did it with old O2, or bad wiring it seems. The right O2
Would go flatline dumping fuel like a mofo running injector pulse widths 4-5 ms. less than the good side. Once it quit acting up. They evened back out.

The knock sensor still bounces from .29 - 4.5 every second or so, but timing is unaffected? Stays .36* cruising and 28* WOT. Maybe it just dumps fuel for knock sensor vs. Timing retard???

VENOMOUS1 said:
Give Scoob a snack as he nailed it maybe. Stingray as well!!
While logging it finally acted up so I hit record, and I have a bad (new O2) which i doubt cause it did it with old O2, or bad wiring it seems. The right O2
Would go flatline dumping fuel like a mofo running injector pulse widths 4-5 ms. less than the good side. Once it quit acting up. They evened back out.

what did you use to record it? i have had major issues with running in my accord, would like to log it as codes don't come up relevant...

Called a genesys evo, the program looks as if Napa carries it. Imagine it's high dollar. I have the old system andvit was about $4k!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back