Hey Django!

ILtemprd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, I got my daughter an acoustic guitar for X-Mas. Its a small starter version. I have been watching her practicing a bit and this got me thinking. I have always wanted to learn to play, so I was thinking maybe we can learn together..anywho..I wanted to know yours, or if anybody else has a recommendation on a decent starter for me. Not looking for something real special as I dont know it will take. I hope it will though. I have been on ebay and looked at the Yamaha's, Ibanez, Gibson and so on. I have always wanted a black one but not critical. You can see my needs are simple. I also notice there are sizes..? You have met me and know I'm a tall/big sum-bitch. Does that have anything to do with what I should be looking for..? I have gone to guitar shops looking at one time, I have had this bug before. I can strum on any guitar, hold it and have not a clue what the hell I'm holding quality or sound wise... Any ideas..??..Thanks.

shawn my son has a ibanez and several other acoustic guitars.

Try SeaGull I have the mahogeny spruce and paid 150 bucks to put a pick up in it so its electric also, great guitar for the price and if you dont take to it they keep there value, just a thought.

Any Martin or Gibson (over $500) will hold their value as well. Martins (over a certain price point.... $1k I believe) are hand made and usually go up in value.

Hery Guys and Shawnie,

The suggestions that have been made are all good....

Shawnie, you probably have a hamhock for a hand... Guys your size usually do... For that reason I'm going to suggest the "POSSIBILITY" that a "slothead" guitar might be worth looking into. (see photo) This type of design affords the player a slightly wider fingerboard and this enables big hands to adapt more readily to the constraints of fingering the instrument. The strings can (sometimes)also be a bit looser because of the scale of the instrument and (as such) be easier to play and require less finger pressure to make a clear note when depressed... (Jerry Reed often played country/rock on a nylon slothead)

You may also wish to consider a nylon stringed model.... Nylon strings have a more "classical" music sound because of their tonality rather than a twangy steel string sound.... In this aspect, your ears and fingers will tell you which one is preferable to you..... With steel strings, you'll just have to work a bit harder and endure a bit more finger pain while your callouses are developing.... (if you get that far that is)

As for the guitar itself, I think the Seagulls and even Fender make a decent starter guitar, but I believe the best sounding and best playing entry level guitars are made by Takamine..... Thier natural (satin-non glossy) finish guitars afford a great tone right out of the box and don't require years of aging to develope like their nitro-cellulose (clear coat glossy) counterparts....

I'm talking about a fairly high quality instrument here even though this is a "starter" guitar .... It should run about $300-350 .... If that's too much money, then perhaps one of the other guitars mentioned (like an inexpensive Chinese/Korean Fender) might be fine.....

Go to your local Guitar Center and play several of those that I've described. Once you find one that feels great, tunes easily and has good intonation (the guitar's neck is properly set/ straight and it is in tune all the way to the 12th fret...this is important) then make your choice and begin grinding the salesperson... (remember, if he didn't have to OK the price with his manager, you haven't ground him down far enough) And make sure you get a "hard shell" case if you can afford it...... Soft shells or "gig bags" are for kids and those who can't afford anything better.... A decent hard case (reg $69) should come with the instrument.

Most important: Make sure you receive proper written instructions on how to tune the guitar..... If you don't know how to tune the guitar it will become a very large paperweight or item of decor for your walls.... If ya can't tune it, ya can't play it.....

I do hope that this has been useful information...

Good luck... And happy, productive learning and playing to you....

An afterthought: Sticking your fingertips in the freezer helps to ease the pain, but if you play through the pain too much, you'll get blisters... Blisters will pop if you try to play with them.... and you'll have to stop playing until they heal.. So when you see blisters, it's time to stop for awhile until the fluid hardens....

D

Attachments

• slothead guitar.jpg
    slothead guitar.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I happen to have three guitars, A Fender 6 string acoustic/electric, Fender Stratocaster electric and a Takamini 12 string acoustic/electric.

I been thinking about selling the Fender acoustic, it's in perfect condition, plays well and sound is awesome, paid over $600.00 for it. Tiger Maple wood, beautiful instrument. Would let it go for the right price.

Strat and Tak will never leave LOL

Tim, Have you ever heard of an Epiphone FT-140? Mine must be 30 years old. From what I've read online, it's a well liked acoustical. Just wonder if you've ever heard one.

Django said:
Hery Guys and Shawnie,

Shawnie, you probably have a hamhock for a hand... Guys your size usually do... For that reason I'm going to suggest the "POSSIBILITY" that a "slothead" guitar might be worth looking into. (see photo) This type of design affords the player a slightly wider fingerboard and this enables big hands to adapt more readily to the constraints of fingering the instrument. The strings can (sometimes)also be a bit looser because of the scale of the instrument and (as such) be easier to play and require less finger pressure to make a clear note when depressed... (Jerry Reed often played country/rock on a nylon slothead)

You may also wish to consider a nylon stringed model.... Nylon strings have a more "classical" music sound because of their tonality rather than a twangy steel string sound.... In this aspect, your ears and fingers will tell you which one is preferable to you..... With steel strings, you'll just have to work a bit harder and endure a bit more finger pain while your callouses are developing.... (if you get that far that is)

As for the guitar itself, I think the Seagulls and even Fender make a decent starter guitar, but I believe the best sounding and best playing entry level guitars are made by Takamine..... Thier natural (satin-non glossy) finish guitars afford a great tone right out of the box and don't require years of aging to develope like their nitro-cellulose (clear coat glossy) counterparts....

I'm talking about a fairly high quality instrument here even though this is a "starter" guitar .... It should run about $300-350 .... If that's too much money, then perhaps one of the other guitars mentioned (like an inexpensive Chinese/Korean Fender) might be fine.....

Go to your local Guitar Center and play several of those that I've described. Once you find one that feels great, tunes easily and has good intonation (the guitar's neck is properly set/ straight and it is in tune all the way to the 12th fret...this is important) then make your choice and begin grinding the salesperson... (remember, if he didn't have to OK the price with his manager, you haven't ground him down far enough) And make sure you get a "hard shell" case if you can afford it...... Soft shells or "gig bags" are for kids and those who can't afford anything better.... A decent hard case (reg $69) should come with the instrument.

Most important: Make sure you receive proper written instructions on how to tune the guitar..... If you don't know how to tune the guitar it will become a very large paperweight or item of decor for your walls.... If ya can't tune it, ya can't play it.....

An afterthought: Sticking your fingertips in the freezer helps to ease the pain, but if you play through the pain too much, you'll get blisters... Blisters will pop if you try to play with them.... and you'll have to stop playing until they heal.. So when you see blisters, it's time to stop for awhile until the fluid hardens....

D
Awesome!..Thanks Timbo.:congrats:

ccfeyh said:
I happen to have three guitars, A Fender 6 string acoustic/electric, Fender Stratocaster electric and a Takamini 12 string acoustic/electric.

I been thinking about selling the Fender acoustic, it's in perfect condition, plays well and sound is awesome, paid over $600.00 for it. Tiger Maple wood, beautiful instrument. Would let it go for the right price.

Strat and Tak will never leave LOL
I was looking to spend a couple hundred bucks for the first one, then when I go on tour maybe around 600. lol.

Django said:
Hery Guys and Shawnie,

Shawnie......... With steel strings, you'll just have to work a bit harder and endure a bit more finger pain while your callouses are developing.... (if you get that far that is)..........

D
OOOOOOHHHH!!!! Did i just hear a call out?:D

Good info Tim.:rock:

Washburn all the way!

WashburnIbanez.jpg

ILtemprd said:
I was looking to spend a couple hundred bucks for the first one, then when I go on tour maybe around 600. lol.

Well, I've also got a Martin Goya 5 string and a 1932 Dopurya Brothers Starburst Dobro in MINT condition, that I might take someone's 10 for, but probably NOT.

LOL

Last edited:
SilvrSRT10 said:
Tim, Have you ever heard of an Epiphone FT-140? Mine must be 30 years old. From what I've read online, it's a well liked acoustical. Just wonder if you've ever heard one.

I've not personally played one of those.... But, I will make an overall observation regarding ALL guitars..... I used to think that the name, brand and fame of any particular guitar had something to do with it's being a great guitar.... Over the years, I've had to moderate my original perspective....

This is my conclusion...(it took decades and alot of error to arrive here)

A great guitar can be a $30 guitar from Sears ..... A shit guitar can cost $3000... It all depends on the individual instrument.... There are "no name" guitars that are essentially worthless on the open market, but you wouldn't trade them for anything... They are quite simply made from great woods, by a great luthier under the best circumstances consistent with the perfect co ordinates of celestial alignment..... In other words, this cheap POS just came together by the Will of God..... Conversely, some supposedly hand made, high end, famous name guitars can end up as the biggest POS you ever played and cost you an arm and a leg....

Conclusion: Every guitar is an individual and must be played before we can determine it's value.... A cheapass Strat made in Mexico can best fkn awesome..... You could also get a PRS that winds up being a dog.... (FYI doggy PRS guitars are rare...PRS makes a consistently great guitar)..

joemags54 said:
While we are at it, in the "Ask Django" thread, what do you think of the T5?

Taylor makes a nice guitar...... Many pro players love them.... They are very well balanced in the sonority dept.... They just never killed me... I dunno why.. Maybe it's the fact that they don't "boom" like I want 'em too.... I was raised on Martins and Guilds... I like a guitar to go off like a field cannon from across the room.... For this reason, Taylors never blew my mind...

Again, Bob Taylor (San Diego) makes a damn fine guitar.... There's nothing but personal taste that keeps me from owning one.... (except maybe the hefty price tag that they now command) But even when I had the money, I went another direction....

BUT... I have a lot of players as friends... And many of them PRIZE their Taylors above anything else in their acoustic guitar collection...

I'm truly honored that you guys would trust my opinion in this area....

Thank You....

D

Last edited:

Thank You....

D[/QUOTE]
Who else would I ask?

SRT-IZ said:
OOOOOOHHHH!!!! Did i just hear a call out?:D

Good info Tim.:rock:

More a fact of life than a call out.......

I can't count the number of times I've help select guitars for people.... Very few of them are still playing......

Any instrument "requires" much if one is to eventually get to the "fun place"....

Most are not willing to pay the price..... Pain, sufficient time, effort, tenacity, perseverance and dedication are all requirements of a competant player...

Some are left scattered somewhere along the roadside..... Their guitars are under the bed or in a closet....doing nothing...

Sad but true...the casualties are many....

Dj

[/quote]
Who else would I ask?[/quote]no horseshit

joemags54 said:

Thank You....

D
Who else would I ask?[/QUOTE]

Kevan, or anyone else here who plays..... Maybe the guys at Guitar Center..... Esteban....? ;)

Lotsa guys...

D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back