How fast does your oil get dirty?

evanandretti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first got the truck it was nice and clear, and stayed that way even before a 'due' oil change. Got the truck ready for summer today and noticed it's gotten a little dark. Not black or anything, just darker then it was before when I had my first oil change (but with less miles)

SO, just curious... how fast does your oil get dirty?

I change every three thousand too...and mine comes out the same color it went in...but I use Royal Purple...

Same thing here . Every 3000 I put new oil and filter . It gets dirty a bit but not much , some of synthetic oils are dark when they are new . And when I go to track I do it almost every 2 or 3 time I go .

I check it every time I get gas, Once it starts to change color I change it out. Normally about 3.5k - 4.0k/ I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 15w-50 with about 43k miles.

Mine isnt too dark when I change it but its noticeably dirty. I also have to add about half a quart at about 2500 miles.

You guys do realize that changing synthetic oil every 3000 miles is a total waste.. Now normal natural out of the ground oil every 3000miles ok.. but synthetic is designed to go 10 to 15k miles... Your nuts if you change more often than that.. I go 10k no problem on an oil change i think ive even done 15k miles... No problems here truck is strong as ever,

My oil gets dark pretty quick but I think its due to the turbos using it to cool down. I use mobil full synthetic 15w-50

When oil gets dirty that means it is doing its job. It is supposed to get dirty cleaning all the nasty shit outta your engine.

You guys do realize that changing synthetic oil every 3000 miles is a total waste.. Now normal natural out of the ground oil every 3000miles ok.. but synthetic is designed to go 10 to 15k miles... Your nuts if you change more often than that.. I go 10k no problem on an oil change i think ive even done 15k miles... No problems here truck is strong as ever,

You might want to check your owners manual for what the manufacturer recommends. Mine says use full synthetic and change far more frequently than 10K much less 15K miles.

You might want to check your owners manual for what the manufacturer recommends. Mine says use full synthetic and change far more frequently than 10K much less 15K miles.

Meh... all ya have to do is touch the oil with your fingers and feel it, And you know if its still good or not..

. The owners manual will put you on the extreme end of safety as they want to void your warranty any way possible, OhHHHH mister whoever you did not do you oil change every mile ohhh sorry warranty void lol....

But ya synthetic oils are designed to do 10k - 15k miles as per manufactures, I doubt they would sell a product and claim 10-15k miles and have engines wearing out all over the country,, that would be bad for business..

so anyhow i do mine every 10 to 15k miles and when i take the oil out it still feels good... Anyhow thats where I change mine...

Plus its not like we drive an exotic worth any money... lol..

I'm somewhat with you Venomous...... I don't do 10k but oil doesn't need to be changed every 3k these days.....I'm down with rubbing it between my fingers to check viscocity.......but I do every 5 to 6k maybe more if I'm busy ;)

Not knocking on anyone that does it sooner though...there's nothin wrong with it and it is cheap insurance if it gives you a warm and fuzzy!

I change my oil every 4k or before. Never more than 4k. But that's just me.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back