How low before you have to shorten the drive shaft?

KyleB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently I have the 2/3 drop from Tony and was wanting to go a little lower if possible.

DJM has 2 & 3 inch drop control arms for the front, and Michigan metal works now makes a 2 inch drop spindle so getting the front down wouldn't be an issue. I would probably buy a 1 inch drop spring from Tony, and either do the 2 inch drop control arm or spindle to get the front down 3 inches.

As for the rear, getting it any lower looks tricky. How big of a lowering block can you run? Can you use a lowering block with shackles? Could you get a 3.5 or 4 inch drop without shortening the drive shaft or doing a c notch? Or perhaps pull out a leaf?

Just rolling around some ideas.

On an RC, at about 5" ,with the bump stops removed, the frame will be sitting on the axle tube. you will have to notch the frame to go more than 4".

I had 3-1/2'' blocks and removed 1 leaf on my NR back in the day. I also done the c-notch myself. Before the notch it bottomed out VERY easily.

I swapped in the T56 in my Ram and have serious vibration issues past 85mph.

I don't know if its related to the length of the driveshaft- but I think I am going to buy another shaft and see if that's the problem.

Holy shit did you really cut the frame ?!?!? Way to earn yourself a vehicle with a structural damage Carfax/title... Talk about decimating all the value of a vehicle...

Pretty sure that if the diff and tranny are directly opposite, you still have 1/2" left to enter tailshaft. 4" drop on an RC is that point. any lower will lengthen the distance between tailshaft and diff. hope this helps..

Holy shit did you really cut the frame ?!?!? Way to earn yourself a vehicle with a structural damage Carfax/title... Talk about decimating all the value of a vehicle...

Holy shit, could you be any bigger of a douche bag?

Not to mention truck has already been resold, so obviously it didn't bother 2 guys that much.

Not to mention truck has already been resold, so obviously it didn't bother 2 guys that much.

Seriously? DoucheBag?? That's what you come back with? HAHAHAHA
It appears there is a buyer or 2 that got hornswoggled.

You notch a frame and with welds that look like they were done at a Meth Rehab Vocational training class and it's all OK?

That truck runs through any dealer or auction lane and it is noted as structural damage.

Who's the Douche?

So because some mook hacked a frame, devalued a vehicle, created a branded carfax, title and someone bought said structurally damaged vehicle thats makes me the douchebag for bringing it up.... You are just as big a dumbass for defending it....

Notching a frame of a vehicle, let alone a limited production vehicle... Homer Simpson "engineering" its finest...

8f07a.jpg

Last edited:
So because some mook hacked a frame, devalued a vehicle, created a branded carfax, title and someone bought said structurally damaged vehicle thats makes me the douchebag for bringing it up.... You are just as big a dumbass for defending it....

Notching a frame of a vehicle, let alone a limited production vehicle... Homer Simpson "engineering" its finest...

8f07a.jpg

You can say what you want about devalue,branded carfax what ever the crap you want too;) Some hardcore people probably feel that way. I'm not here to argue BUT....

You could however at least admit that wasn't a hack job:D That hurts my feelings more than anything:(:chain: If you can honestly look at that pic and say its a hack job then you really don't know anything about welding/fabrication.;)

Last edited:
You can say what you want about devalue,branded carfax what ever the crap you want too;) I'm not here to argue BUT....

You could however at least admit that wasn't a hack job:D That hurts my feelings more than anything:(:chain: If you can honestly look at that pic and say its a hack job then you really don't know anything about welding/fabrication.;)

Sorry dude, even if the weld looked a roll of dimes the instant the frame was cut it became a hack job. I camt understand compromising structural integrity for an extra inch or whatever of drop....

Sorry dude, even if the weld looked a roll of dimes the instant the frame was cut it became a hack job. I camt understand compromising structural integrity for an extra inch or whatever of drop....

Everyone has there own opinion I'll just leave it at that.;)

I swapped in the T56 in my Ram and have serious vibration issues past 85mph.

I don't know if its related to the length of the driveshaft- but I think I am going to buy another shaft and see if that's the problem.

Be careful, your driveshaft (I'm guessing it's a one piece driveshaft on a quadcab?) speed is probably past it's maximum at that speed. I had the same thing on my T56 swapped hemi, I upgraded to a carbon fibre driveshaft and all vibrations are gone.

Do a google on 'driveshaft critical speed' and you'll find a lot of info.

Maybe someone should tell Dom how worthless his truck is now that he modified the frame.

Lol. What a joke! You guys are acting like he cut the truck in half, then used JB weld to put it together! It's just a C notch, a good one at that!

Maybe someone should tell Dom how worthless his truck is now that he modified the frame.

Just make sure you have enough insurance coverage. When some text er drills that thing in the ass end (with a school bus) the adjuster will be more than happy to give you book value for it. (on a stock 10 year old truck)

Whatever. You clowns just don't get it. So if someone disagrees they are branded a troll?

Hack away laddie.
Sure thing. If you knew better, you'd know he did a quality job. When you make one payment on it I think your opinion of his quality of work would weigh some, not much though.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back