How many hours to replace a fuel pump?

Trex20165

Reaction score
Does anyone have access to a Chilton Time manual? Had to get the fuel pump replaced last week on my 05 RC and the dealer charged $430 for labor. That seems excessive to me, looks like a 2 hours job (or less) to drop the tank and replace but wanted to know what a Chilton Time manual lists for job.

2.1 hrs is book time according to alldata. Sounds like they charge $200 an hour where you took it.

Thanks, I also found another site (automd.com) that lists the same labor time: 2.1 hours. Awesome. Looks like I am going to visit them this afternoon to discuss.

good luck with it, hopefully you can get some money back.

2.1 hrs is book time according to alldata. Sounds like they charge $200 an hour where you took it.

Who needs a Chiltons when you have access to the best dealer employees in the country? :rock:

Who needs a Chiltons when you have access to the best dealer employees in the country? :rock:

Thanks for the compliment Chris. They are few and far between in this job.

you have to calculate in diagnosis time. We charge extra for specialty vehicles too. Just some food for thought

I just got back from the dealer. The other issue I had was the charge of $344.25 for the fuel pump. I checked 2 other local dealers and 3 online sites, the pump was $255 MSRP. Online prices were as low as $180 and all showed MSRP as $255. And they also charged a $49.95 shop fee which also seems high.

So I went in with some documentation and a spreadsheet of my calculated "reasonable" costs and spoke to the service manager's manager. Found out a few things. They do charge $130 and hour for specialty vehicles (Viper, etc.). Originally, I was told a minimum diag charge was $130 but this would be included if they did the work. He worked the numbers and said the labor was only high by about $30 (2.1 x $130 plus $130 diag charge). He said the parts manager set the fuel pump price and there was nothing he could do about that. After a 20 minute discussion, he offered a $30 cash refund or a $236 credit. I took the $236 CREDIT for future work.

Next time I will get the repair details and do the research in advance. I don't mind paying a fair price for service. I just thought $925 (with a 15% off coupon) for a fuel pump and fuel injector cleaning service was a lot. Thanks for the input from everyone.

No offense to the dealer guys here but in my experience when it comes to parts they are going to charge you list price. The price they charged you for the pump is a good deal more than what they paid. But then again it's a business and they are out to make money.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back