I am friggin through with BMW!!

fun2xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am so pissed right now. I have either owned or had a live-in girlfriend who owned a 2000-2002 BMW 3-series on four seperate occasions. Two of them were two cars with the same person. And I have a good friend with a late model 3-series. These cars are CRAP!!! Holy-moly, what are we paying $40k for? A car that has a lot of bells and whistles, but the build quality of a friggin Yugo? Of the five cars mentioned above, one needed a new motor before 20k miles(330i), one needed to spend more time at the dealer than in my garage the first year and was then "exchanged" by the dealer for a different model(M3), one has been in the shop at least every four months for the past two years for all kinds of miscellaneous crap as soon as 50k miles hit and the warranty was up(my friend's 325i), and now my girlfriend's car, which has 85k miles is back in the shop for the fourth time in the past year(325i). This time, no reverse at all. The dealer says the car will need a new tranny ($5000). I could buy a friggin Hyundai and get more miles outta that bitch for half the cost!!! I am so through with BMW. I will never buy another one again, and would like to tell all of my friends on this board to beware as well. I was always a die hard BMW enthusiast. They are great fun to drive, very performance oriented spirited driving cars, but apparently, out of the five cars listed above, only one lasted with no recurring or catostrophic failure. That's a pretty lousy batting average if you ask me. Gonna go see about trading the gf's car in on a new E-class this week, see if we can unload the car without doing the tranny work ourselves. Maybe DC will cut us a deal with our fixer-upper piece of crap car.

Greg

I've always had problems with my BMWs. Try Audi - you'll never go back. I've had 3 A6 4.2s...fun fun car...

I'm with ya.... I traded in this:

142_4257-vi.jpg

For This:

100_2581-vi.jpg

NO regrets... The truck is so much more fun than the M3.

Oh man, don't tell me this, lol... I love my '06 325i... I got the 4 door for the bigger 330i engine and also got the sport suspension so I could "enjoy" my drives home after work...

fun2xlr8 said:
I am so pissed right now. I have either owned or had a live-in girlfriend who owned a 2000-2002 BMW 3-series on four seperate occasions. Two of them were two cars with the same person. And I have a good friend with a late model 3-series. These cars are CRAP!!! Holy-moly, what are we paying $40k for? A car that has a lot of bells and whistles, but the build quality of a friggin Yugo? Of the five cars mentioned above, one needed a new motor before 20k miles(330i), one needed to spend more time at the dealer than in my garage the first year and was then "exchanged" by the dealer for a different model(M3), one has been in the shop at least every four months for the past two years for all kinds of miscellaneous crap as soon as 50k miles hit and the warranty was up(my friend's 325i), and now my girlfriend's car, which has 85k miles is back in the shop for the fourth time in the past year(325i). This time, no reverse at all. The dealer says the car will need a new tranny ($5000). I could buy a friggin Hyundai and get more miles outta that bitch for half the cost!!! I am so through with BMW. I will never buy another one again, and would like to tell all of my friends on this board to beware as well. I was always a die hard BMW enthusiast. They are great fun to drive, very performance oriented spirited driving cars, but apparently, out of the five cars listed above, only one lasted with no recurring or catostrophic failure. That's a pretty lousy batting average if you ask me. Gonna go see about trading the gf's car in on a new E-class this week, see if we can unload the car without doing the tranny work ourselves. Maybe DC will cut us a deal with our fixer-upper piece of crap car.

Greg

Thats Why love workin for them!!!:star: Job Security:D I love the fact that every day there's another that just went out of warranty!

Tom said:
Oh man, don't tell me this, lol... I love my '06 325i... I got the 4 door for the bigger 330i engine and also got the sport suspension so I could "enjoy" my drives home after work...

All I can say bro, is spring for the 100,000 mile warranty. You may end up needing it, perhaps even more than once. I am glad that most everything, with the exception of the current car I have, was covered under warranty. So far I have spent about $4500 in the past 12 months fixing this car, and now I need to drop another $5000. Hell, the trade in value on the damn thing is only about $13k!!!

Greg

FerrariTruck said:
Thats Why love workin for them!!!:star: Job Security:D I love the fact that every day there's another that just went out of warranty!

Ferrari, are you a BMW mechanic? Am I correct in deducing that these cars are huge, steaming piles of unreliable crap?

Greg

fun2xlr8 said:
All I can say bro, is spring for the 100,000 mile warranty. You may end up needing it, perhaps even more than once. I am glad that most everything, with the exception of the current car I have, was covered under warranty. So far I have spent about $4500 in the past 12 months fixing this car, and now I need to drop another $5000. Hell, the trade in value on the damn thing is only about $13k!!!

Greg
Thanks for the heads up... Mine came with the free 50K warranty and I didn't buy the extended warrantee yet... I have a tendancy to sell my cars after 2 years, lol. I figure if I keep it then I would extend the warranty but they charge a lot to extend it. Something like 4800 for the two warrantees... Heck, maybe I will trade this thing in on the new Challenger or the new Camaro, lol...

fun2xlr8 said:
Ferrari, are you a BMW mechanic? Am I correct in deducing that these cars are huge, steaming piles of unreliable crap?

Greg

Yes I am....As Far as them being unreliable....Well the first 3 years of the 3 series blow...99-01...hell even the 02....In their defense the tranny in your car is made by GM:p They are very high maintence...Very easy to repair...

I've been a BMW guy since I was a kid, but since I've been without one for over a year now, I gotta be honest.......I really don't miss it. I've had five M3's in the past 12 years, and I honestly thought I would never ever be without one. I really haven't had too many issues with mine until the last one; a 2004 E46 M3. This thing needed a second gear synchro, a complete new differential, and a host of other things while I owned it. Luckily for me though, all these things happened while it was still under warranty, but I did get rid of it within a month of the warranty running out. Here's a couple pics of my last two M3's. My 1999 E36 M3 I had was by far the best one, no problems at all. I'm gonna wait and see what the 2008 M3 looks like, and I MIGHT consider another one.

Attachments

• BMW 002.jpg
    BMW 002.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2002 M3 1.JPG
    2002 M3 1.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 27
I have a motorcycle buddy who is a BMW auto mechanic. He's stated over and over what a pile they've turned into. Complains mostly towards BMWNA and software nightmare they try to force down the dealers/customers throats. Particularily with the CanBus system. He's had nothing but good to say on the older 5 series and 3 series.

BTW....he says MB is having similar issues with their late model cars as well. :dontknow:

Chuck B said:
BTW....he says MB is having similar issues with their late model cars as well. :dontknow:

That's why any car I get from here on out is going to be warrantied as long as I have it. BMW has had their chance, now I'm gonna shoot for a Mercedes. I was planning on trading the Beamer in this summer anyhow(on an M5). The timetable has just been pushed up a little, and the new brand of choice has been changed.

Greg

audi's are the same way. so are mercedes. My S4 spent a grand total of 5 months in the dealership during the 2 years I leased it. Fun car, but not reliable. left me stranded between az and cali once. and left me stranded on my way to work many many times.

fun2xlr8 said:

Greg

Be very careful when you by an Mercdes E-class.Because in europe they have massiv problems whit rost.The reson i no this is that i own a body shop. We have reperade allot of rost in theys cars.Be sure that you buy one whit warrenty.
Good luck

My friend had x 5 or whatever that minivan looking suv is. I thought it was a turd pile. The lamest things would break.......a window just fall off the hinges, they would fix it....then it would fall off again.... WTF!!!

patrick

My friends 3 series (2002) has window seals falling off it, broken door handles, rattles and is the biggest piece of crap....

shit...even the bmw museum in stuttgart is shit, the 'concept cars' they had on display GET THIS had fake 1980 cd players in them - they were so old and boring!!!!!

All models have duds though - my porsche cayenne has been the biggest piece of shit ive ever owned, i can honestly say its a rare day if i drive it and nothing breaks!!

Many years ago I had a 530. While it was a great car and fun to drive it was a money pit when it came to repairs.

Personally I would stay away from the German brands. Take a look at Infiniti or Lexus. Karen's last two cars have been Infiniti's and I have been very pleased with them.

portlandsrt...you traded your m3 for ram srt10, whoa your man! haha i have always been fan of m3 and mopar cars too but i dont know if i want m3, how was it? any pros and con?

We are about to trade in the wifes 2003 325I. It too has been a piece of crap. Tranny has been "fixed" 3 times, starter has gone out, automatic window broke, all this and only 20K miles..

Been looking at the 2007 Lexus 350 IS, 07 Infinity G35 sedan, and just found a Mercedes 2005 E55 AMG with 7K on it, I think we are going Mercedes..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back