Ilmor 600 HP Boat Engine

if they did not do a cam change for the truck, that engine would have some great bottom end torque:rock::rock:

I thought we discussed this before and basically came to the conclusion that these engines aren't magic - they are a Gen III with decent heads, intake, and fuel system, that are dyno'd accessory less, on a friendly dyno. I don't think their results are anything we couldn't duplicate?

I thought we discussed this before and basically came to the conclusion that these engines aren't magic - they are a Gen III with decent heads, intake, and fuel system, that are dyno'd accessory less, on a friendly dyno. I don't think their results are anything we couldn't duplicate?

they would have to turn the water pump???

& they can do more with the timin because of the extra coolin a marine engine has availible to it

they would have to turn the water pump???

& they can do more with the timin because of the extra coolin a marine engine has availible to it
Good point about the extra timing. They can probably be a little more creative with the cam profile too.

they would have to turn the water pump??? & they can do more with the timin because of the extra coolin a marine engine has availible to it
I believe it's a closed cooling system but either way they are still using cool water to extract heat through conduction which is better than trying to cool it through air.

I believe it's a closed cooling system but either way they are still using cool water to extract heat through conduction which is better than trying to cool it through air.

yep, closed system. like ya said<40 degree to 50ish water temp. = great coolin:rock::rock::rock:

Boat motors also have tighter ring gaps and typically cams that are designed more for maximum hp at high RPM and less concentration on lower RPM drive ability. That combined with cooler running temps and less chance of detonation make it easier to get bigger numbers out of them.

Boat motors also have tighter ring gaps and typically cams that are designed more for maximum hp at high RPM and less concentration on lower RPM drive ability. That combined with cooler running temps and less chance of detonation make it easier to get bigger numbers out of them.

I didn't know that about the ring gaps. I actually thought the Illmor's used factory rotating assembly's.

The marine grinds that I have looked at for old school V8's weren't peaky at all. They were big torque cams with broad power bands.

I didn't know that about the ring gaps. I actually thought the Illmor's used factory rotating assembly's.

The marine grinds that I have looked at for old school V8's weren't peaky at all. They were big torque cams with broad power bands.

I said that wrong. It wasn't the ring gap it was the piston to cylinder wall clearance that is tighter. I had a V8 bored and stroked a few years ago and when I took the parts to the machine shop the tech asked me what it was for and I told him a boat. He told me they run a tighter piston/wall clearance. Might be due to the cooler engine operating temps. I didn't do to much I depth research on he cams - I was just told by everyone not to run a cam for a car/truck in it and get a marine spec cam.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back