Ilmore v-10 engines how'd they do it?

pokeytemplar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was checking out their site (once again) and I had to ask you all this question:

How in the world can they make that engine run at 5400-6300RPM continuously without the #3 throwing? I know that they are showing "at the crank" HP and TQ numbers but people have blown theirs with less. Is it still all just a matter of tuning?

Just throwing this one out there for your opinions...........

How would a tranny or screw put a different load on the oil pump. Is the starvation due to oil not being picked up because the increased lateral forces?

Last edited:
100% load is 100% load whether through a vehicle driveline or a prop. Not sure what they change, if anything, as far as the oiling goes. Boat engines aren't expected to live as long as car engines, 100k miles vs 1000 run hours.

Then what does everybody consider the "safe" max RPM of the Viper? I would assume the 5400rpm mark.

6300 with upgraded springs, retainers, keepers.

5800-6000 stock.

5500 according to DC.

every engine will be slightly different.

There will be many different issues you will be getting into with upping the RPM (valve float, oiling, bearings, etc.)

I think someone has gone to 6800? I don't remember who?

Last edited:
Thanks Bone

So your saying Ilmore reworks the engine before shipping. I knew they had to do something to up the compression to 10:1.

If you check out their site have you seen those water cooled headers. That would definitely reduce under hood temps......

Bone said:
I think someone has gone to 6800? I don't remember who?
I think I hit that when I did the 1-2-1 shift at Rockingham. :(

I'm pretty sure I've gone to atleast 6500:confused: Damn stick just won't go where I want it to:D

If you keep it under 5500 rpm... should have nothing to worry about:dontknow:

I think rev lim in stock form is 58 maybe 6 tho , I know I bounced off it several times , now I watch it close and never exceed 55 as per DC suggests.

LoveThisTruck said:
I'm pretty sure I've gone to atleast 6500:confused: Damn stick just won't go where I want it to:D

If you keep it under 5500 rpm... should have nothing to worry about:dontknow:
Is the rev lim over 65 on stock :dontknow:

Scrambler1 said:
100% load is 100% load whether through a vehicle driveline or a prop. Not sure what they change, if anything, as far as the oiling goes. Boat engines aren't expected to live as long as car engines, 100k miles vs 1000 run hours.
What is stock rev lim :dontknow:

I hit rev lim in 3rd did not look at tach, instead went for speedo view, over 120.....I think stock rev lim is 66.............:dontknow:

TNVIPER said:
Mine was 6250 stock....guy hit it on a dyno once....hit it so hard he thought the engine blew..
I think its safe to say 55 is perfect , as far as horsepower "PEAK", it may drop past this rpm :dontknow:

1-2-1 can slam the front end real hard, lol.
thats the R's i shift at

heard of a couple of theroies about block twist. wonder if thats apart of the #3 prob?????

Last edited:
LoveThisTruck said:
I honestly dont know. I know it didn't sound good lol, and scared the sh*t outta me:eek:
how about a backfire in the intake, that scared the s#@t outta me :eek:

Django said:
That thought makes me sick to my stomach.......... :eek:

D

It was only momentary. I was pretty quick on the clutch. I apparently didn't do any harm. Everything is still working fine. :congrats:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back