Ilmore v-10 engines how'd they do it?

pokeytemplar said:
I was checking out their site (once again) and I had to ask you all this question:

How in the world can they make that engine run at 5400-6300RPM continuously without the #3 throwing? I know that they are showing "at the crank" HP and TQ numbers but people have blown theirs with less. Is it still all just a matter of tuning?

Just throwing this one out there for your opinions...........
This is origanal post. got to jawin about rev lim and rpms, then swapped a scary drivin story, thats all:D

I'm a little tired and hungover so this is short and blunt so excuse me;)

going past 6000 rpms is jsut dumb, peak hp on a heavily modded motor stops at 5800rpms and thats a heavily modded motor, there are some that go to 7000 rpms but youare talking a 60k motor, total with stud girdles, finely matched pistons, 2k rods, and a ton other stuff, but........they dont live long, they are built for one reason and one reason only........a pass at atime.

9 out of 10 motors on this forum quit making hp at 5400rpms, you risk major breakdown and valve float after that.

even with a good set of aftermarket springs please dont go past 6300rpms , and then you are jsut waisting rpms:argh: so why do it?

jsut because it sounds cool? anything that turns up that high is made purposly for short stretches and it takes a ton of money.

a 522 stroker is no different, if you want a motor that goes 7k rpms, prepare to spend inheritance and often.

Stinker said:
a 522 stroker is no different, if you want a motor that goes 7k rpms, prepare to spend inheritance and often.

If I'm not mistaken, my builder mentioned that turning down the big end of the rod (as when offset-grinding the crank) would have been the next mod in line if I'd planned on an even higher HP build.

off set grinding the crank puts the rods into a different angle thru the bore, it has been done and alot

but there actually is no gain in hp, just bragging rights of cubic inches, you will gain a touch of trq, but hp usually there isnt much difference,

your best bet is to resleave the block and go with a larger bore to get more cubes.. there fore more hp.

let me state something tonight, here , and now, i am not an expert on viper engines , that takes years and years of experince to do, but i am wanting to get into the building of them, and with that for the past 6 months have done a ton of homework.

going with a 522 does give you more cubes, but not neccessarily more hp.

one can actually make jsut as much on 505 cubes;)

for years some builders have used the 522 deal as a way of mking tons more $ when actually it dont take not that much more to do a 522, jsuta little more machinging

Stinker said:
off set grinding the crank puts the rods into a different angle thru the bore, it has been done and alot

but there actually is no gain in hp, just bragging rights of cubic inches, you will gain a touch of trq, but hp usually there isnt much difference,

your best bet is to resleave the block and go with a larger bore to get more cubes.. there fore more hp.

let me state something tonight, here , and now, i am not an expert on viper engines , that takes years and years of experince to do, but i am wanting to get into the building of them, and with that for the past 6 months have done a ton of homework.

going with a 522 does give you more cubes, but not neccessarily more hp.

one can actually make jsut as much on 505 cubes;)

for years some builders have used the 522 deal as a way of mking tons more $ when actually it dont take not that much more to do a 522, jsuta little more machinging

I will agree with that comment. Most of the offset grind stroker kits that are offered is so the builder can use "cheaper" off the shelf chevy rods. Because it is Viper they can charge the higher premium. Please don't take this as me saying the kits are cheap in quality. They are just cheap in their purchase price compared to low-volume, custom Viper rods......

ok,,,,,,,,,how do I say this without offending you.....

there is no actually manufacturer of a viper rod with a few acceptions,

90% of the rods available are a gm rod. the price difference is the grade of rod, say eagle vs oliver

and the bolts used in the rods.

K1 rods are the closest, and even with them you need a certain crank bearing, and you also have to switch to a .927 pin size.

but the rest need the crank turned and new pistons to accomidate 927 pins.

the fun part,,,,,,,,,making it all work:argh:

No offense taken. Eagle and Carrillo both make viper rods and we would agree that each are at opposite ends of the price spectrum. What is the price per rod? Custom rods range from $180-$280 per rod/manufacturer. If they are custom made by Oliver, R&R, Cunningham, or Carrillo.

eagel makes a 6.123 rod which isnt really a viper sized rod, it si the same as others, the crank has to be machined to match, and the pin size is .927, they just used the rods size from a 340-360 mopar.

oliver rods with are the choice of major builders run $1850,

i dont even mess with carrillo, there rods are way too over priced and you get the same quality for 1k less with oliver or even dyers

Stinker said:
eagel makes a 6.123 rod which isnt really a viper sized rod, it si the same as others, the crank has to be machined to match, and the pin size is .927, they just used the rods size from a 340-360 mopar.

oliver rods with are the choice of major builders run $1850,

i dont even mess with carrillo, there rods are way too over priced and you get the same quality for 1k less with oliver or even dyers

Ohh I see our misunderstanding. I am thinking every generation of Viper not just Gen 3. Gen 1 and 2's use 6.123 rods and Gen 3's use the 6.221. And yes they do change the pin size to the popular .927 to make it cheaper and easier to get pistons.

Is the $1850 for a set of Chevy rods that fit the Viper application or is that the price Viper rods that require no crank machining?

You are right a set of Carrillo rods run right at $2800 a set.

i thought the purpose of a stroker was to make more torque at lower rpm's so you wouldnt have to turn the motor as hard and beat the bearings up. my 408 stroker in my challenger peaks at 5500 rpm

522 is just the offset grind crank in order to run Oliver and similar rods. It is done for the parts not because of a perceived hp or tq gain. Like Stinker said, if you want more power from the motor go with a bigger bore.

Stinker said:

going past 6000 rpms is jsut dumb, peak hp on a heavily modded motor stops at 5800rpms and thats a heavily modded motor, there are some that go to 7000 rpms but youare talking a 60k motor, total with stud girdles, finely matched pistons, 2k rods, and a ton other stuff, but........they dont live long, they are built for one reason and one reason only........a pass at atime.

9 out of 10 motors on this forum quit making hp at 5400rpms, you risk major breakdown and valve float after that.

even with a good set of aftermarket springs please dont go past 6300rpms , and then you are jsut waisting rpms:argh: so why do it?

jsut because it sounds cool? anything that turns up that high is made purposly for short stretches and it takes a ton of money.

HEY JT , thank you kindly:congrats: I will keep it under 55 ,5400 is plenty fast to do sum asswaxin:rock: :D

Stinker said:

HEY JT , thank you kindly:congrats: I will keep it under 55 ,5400 is plenty fast to do sum asswaxin:rock: :D

do you know how much one of those engines cost?

when your paying over $50k for an engine, they will make sure it can handle those rpms...those arent stock viper motors in there...

Also when you offset grind for the Chevy rods you don't have to increase stroke. You could leave it the same or slightly decrease it. Unfortunately, you cannot destroke as far as you can stroke it due to where the material is in the journals.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back