I'm done with the Dodge dealership!

MoparMan84

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been getting my oil changed by the dealership since Ive owned the truck (less then a year). I always request Mobile 1 0w-40. Found out that they put in 5w-40 the last 2 times. I know that its safe to put that in, but thats NOT what I requested. Second, i was under the truck yesterday and found out that there not using the VIPER oil filter either! You would think after spending 115 bucks for an oil change that they would do a great job and give full customer satisfaction. So, I'm changing the oil myself and buying VIPER oil filters. What ever happened to the customers always right?

This is exactly why I buy all my aftermarket stuff from our vender's. The quality of the product is the best in the market and the customer support is fantastic. Id like to thank all our vendors on here for their time and efforts.

How do they justify useing the 5w-40 and not the Chrysler recommended oil for the 2005's.....

Chysler made a change in oil vendors about a year ago and superseded all 0w-40 recommendations to 5w-40. The "Viper" filter is only listed for 06 and up in the parts catalog. It can be used on the 04-05 of couse. If you requested 0w-40 Mobil, they should of used it if they have access to it. Most dealers do not stock the Mobil 1 anymore. Mercedes Benz has also done the same

It might be the Chrysler dealer spec sheets call for 5/40.....I went to Advance Auto last week to buy oil for my wife's Durango and couldnt remember if it used 5/20 or 5/30....called the dealer on my cell phone and he looks it up and tells me 5/20......I get back home and the oil cap & manual say 5/30..:dontknow:

I had a similiar thing happen about a year ago, the spec sheet not agreeing with the manual, cant remember what it was though..

My local dealership doesn't pay attention. They always had to go somewhere and get the oil I needed. You would think that since I'm a returning customer they would stock 9 quarts for me. Also, awhile back, I mentioned to them about my brakes squealing, they said they would check it out, which they are supposed to check when I bring the truck in. They said it was just break dust. Come to find out when I put my new rotors on, there was no break pad left on the front pads. The squealing was from the backing plate on the pad grinding into my rotor. You think they would of caught that.

Most dealers suck. Only a few do the right thing and even with those, you have to keep tabs on. No pride in workmanship anymore.

Cheaper to buy the stuff yourself and just go to a local shop and let them do it and supervise.

That's the worst thing you can say about your dealership?

How dare they... I say crawl your happy butt under there and change your own oil like a real man, and show them your not the whiney yuppie they think you are.

Get a grip. 0w to 5w not going to do swat to hurt your engine.

iraqivet01 said:
that's not the point;)

i call them a few days ahead of time...i'm too lazy to do it myself...it's one of only a few things i don't do...

as i sit here with the entier front end off the truck getting it ready for fenders and paint;)

If you specified the 0W40 and the viper filter specifically when you booked it in then so be it, but if not then its not there fault.

The only person you can trust is yourself, so do it yourself. It will cost you $50 instead of $115 as well.

it seems most lube shops and service places continually strip oil drain plugs!! So DO IT YOURSELF to avoid problems. It gets less messy each time you do it. While its draining you can relax under your pride and joy and look for other problems ,like leaky hoses" which you can deal with before they make a mess.

Your lucky if that's the only problem you have. Last 2 times I went in they couldn't figure out the noise coming from my transfercase. They said "we hear it, and feel it, but can't tell what it is....drive it till it breaks then bring it in"

Then, I went in a week later for my wifes car, and told them the brakes are warped causing the steering wheel to shake (brand new car with only 7k on it). They changed the rotors out, 128 miles later they were warped again. I took it in and they told me to pound sand; just blamed it on her driving (yet she has had 7 cars and not 1 time had rotor issues).

Only good dealerships are ones that true car guys (Avondale, the moparconnection,etc) work at, and know what your taking about.

had an independent change my oil ONCE.they overtorqued the oil drain plug and cracked the pan!:mad:

I dont think all dealers are bad. Like Red said you need to find the ones who are true car and truck guys and take pride in their work. The ones who will go above and beyond to fix it and fix it right.

dragon said:
I dont think all dealers are bad. Like Red said you need to find the ones who are true car and truck guys and take pride in their work. The ones who will go above and beyond to fix it and fix it right.

Can you name one on Long Island NY you have heard good things about or know someone there? Tator's was the best shot we had and they lost their dealership status.

Who changes oil at a dealership. I'm pretty sure it not their top or highest paid mechanic. It the lowest and least paid guy on the peeking order.

Last edited:
At Arrigo Dodge in west palm beach fl. They have three mechanics that work
on are trucks that is it. I took my truck there and was tolled, i had to come back when one of those three guys were working. That was for a oil change.
I do it all myself now.

iraqivet01 said:
That's the worst thing you can say about your dealership?

How dare they... I say crawl your happy butt under there and change your own oil like a real man, and show them your not the whiney yuppie they think you are.

:D .....

Im not sure of any in New York. Im not familiar with the dealers there.

As far as who changes the oil I know that we only have 1 Viper certified tech that can touch the Viper cars. Our regular lube rack guys dont do the Viper trucks they are done only by our Chrysler Certified techs.

iraqivet01 said:
Who changes oil at a dealership. I'm pretty sure it not their top or highest paid mechanic. It the lowest and least paid guy on the peeking order.

Like dragon says, it has to be the Viper tech.....whether in Florida or Texas, each dealer I went to only had one guy.....he was the only one they would let touch the vehicle.....both of them worked Mon-Fri 9-5, or at least they claimed to anyway.....actually asked to meet both of them - great guys, and they really appreciate the thank you for their work and always treated me like gold when I came in.....I could call a week in advance, set an appointment and show up....they were the best....

Only downside was the cost - like $150 a shot for an oil change, and that was 2 years ago...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back