Insurance Claims

stephen rose

Reaction score
Seeking some advice.
5 days ago I took my 04 Quad 10, stock, 25000mi, to get some warranty work (brake calipers, JTSVP thanks for the lines) done at a Dodge/Chrysler dealership, this past Friday they called me and told me someone stole my stock rims w/Pirelli tires
My insurance is telling me I have to pay a $500 deductible.
My worries is the insurance company low ball me on my refund to replace my stock wheels, as we know these rims and tires are not cheap.
Of course the dealership is wiping their hands clean because I have insurance to cover the damages.
Has anyone experience this before, any advice is welcomed.
Thanks.

They aren't low balling you on the price of the replacement rims, a $500 deductible is pretty standard. You pay that pretty much everytime you have an insurance claim unless you were involved in an accident of which you weren't at fault for, in which case the other insurance company pays for. Just make sure you get the real deal when it comes to your rims, and not factory reproductions.

Ah ha, my dad was an attorney as was my uncle, grandfather, cousin, daughter and her husband. That said, tell the dealership either they pay your deductible or you are turning it over to your attorney. They WILL pony up---guaranteed. It will cost them that much for the 1st hour of legal fees.

I'll bet you a dollar he has a 2005 with a 2004 build date

Totally agree that dealer ship needs to pay your deductible. Wheels alone with out tires areally $5600. Do not let them get off with out paying for oem wheels and new tires. Get an attorney if necessary. I work for a body shop and deal with them all the time.

I would in no way, shape or form pay your deductible for you. If you signed a repair order when the truck was brought in, you signed a legal document stating that the dealership is not responsible for any loss or damage incurred on their lot. It is an unfortunate incident but the dealership should not be on the hook for anything.

I would in no way, shape or form pay your deductible for you. If you signed a repair order when the truck was brought in, you signed a legal document stating that the dealership is not responsible for any loss or damage incurred on their lot. It is an unfortunate incident but the dealership should not be on the hook for anything.

That is exactly correct. This is why you have insurance. A dealer may in good faith may pay it.

Last edited:

Wow ok did not know that. I have never went to dealer for anything befor. Learned something thanks.

its not a dealer thing. its typically anywhere you take anything in for service. Boat, RV Motorcycle, Vehicle. release of liability.

its not a dealer thing. its typically anywhere you take anything in for service. Boat, RV Motorcycle, Vehicle. release of liability.

Exactly, it's a way to protect our investment. It's actually sad the world has come to this that you need to pay people to make sure you can keep your money. But that's another topic for another thread.

Most likely correct. But----do they want repeat business, do they want good customer relations, do they realize that word of mouth can wreck havoc on an otherwise good business. $500 ain't much of a deductible---I have 2 grand---much cheaper and I can sell the wife's car to meet the deductible if necessary. But what ever happened to "the customer is always right?" If I were the dealer you would not even have to ask. Maybe that's why I ain't a dealer. :dontknow: Right is right and wrong never is. :rock:

I will make sure to never take a vehicle to your service department. Just because you write in small print that we (the dealership) can screw you because we hold no responsibility for your car while it is in our care doesn't mean that you should do that or feel righteous in stating it. That is complete and utter bullshit and simply legal garçon to get you out of your due and expected responsibility. In fact I consider it fair play that the next time I hear a report about some punk vandalizing dealership cars at a lot that I can feel righteous and applaud them for sticking it to you!

Wouldn't go so far as to wish bad on a dealer or anyone else for that matter. Just had 2 trailers valued at 5-6K each stolen from a repair shop. Did not sign any work order (no little print at the bottom of the form) and the guy should have had them repaired 4 months ago. I could sue and get financially well but my partner and I do NOT sue anyone for ANY reason. Now before you go howling because of my earlier post remember, I did not say I would not threaten with a bluff and try to get the dealer to pay the deductible, I just will not sue. What goes around will ALWAYS come back around. Remember, customer reviews carry a lot of weight---at least for me they do. Wouldn't think the dealer would want this posted all over the internet---"customer has property stolen while in dealers care." Just saying.

Most likely correct. But----do they want repeat business, do they want good customer relations, do they realize that word of mouth can wreck havoc on an otherwise good business. $500 ain't much of a deductible---I have 2 grand---much cheaper and I can sell the wife's car to meet the deductible if necessary. But what ever happened to "the customer is always right?" If I were the dealer you would not even have to ask. Maybe that's why I ain't a dealer. :dontknow: Right is right and wrong never is. :rock:

The customer stopped being always right when they became scam artists trying to get something for free when they aren't entitled to it. If we personally damage someone's property: bump a car in the parking lot, cut a tire on a lift, etc. we will absolutely pay to repair that damage because that is our fault. But expecting us to pay for something that is out of our control is ridiculous.

I will make sure to never take a vehicle to your service department. Just because you write in small print that we (the dealership) can screw you because we hold no responsibility for your car while it is in our care doesn't mean that you should do that or feel righteous in stating it. That is complete and utter bullshit and simply legal garçon to get you out of your due and expected responsibility. In fact I consider it fair play that the next time I hear a report about some punk vandalizing dealership cars at a lot that I can feel righteous and applaud them for sticking it to you!

That is your choice, however your logic here is flawed on so many levels I'm not sure where I should start. The fine print doesn't say we can screw you, it simply states we can't control everything and for that reason we aren't responsible for the person that decides they like your wheels, while we aren't open drives on the lot and takes them. You are acting like we don't respect other peoples' property when it is on our lot, you are wrong, absolutely wrong. We treat every customer's vehicle like they are our own, better than our own for that matter. See the bold and large font for the absolute dumbest quote ever posted on the VTCoA, I hope you are applauding them as your insurance rates rise with everyone else's to help the insurance company recoup their losses.

Wouldn't go so far as to wish bad on a dealer or anyone else for that matter. Just had 2 trailers valued at 5-6K each stolen from a repair shop. Did not sign any work order (no little print at the bottom of the form) and the guy should have had them repaired 4 months ago. I could sue and get financially well but my partner and I do NOT sue anyone for ANY reason. Now before you go howling because of my earlier post remember, I did not say I would not threaten with a bluff and try to get the dealer to pay the deductible, I just will not sue. What goes around will ALWAYS come back around. Remember, customer reviews carry a lot of weight---at least for me they do. Wouldn't think the dealer would want this posted all over the internet---"customer has property stolen while in dealers care." Just saying.

This right here is one of the few things that is right with the world. Someone who doesn't sue at the drop of a hat. It is unfortunate that something like this would happen but it is part of business. If someone feels the need to post on the internet that their vehicle was vandalized in our lot and for some reason puts that blame on the dealership, that is flawed logic in my opinion. I have had my vehicle vandalized on someone else's lot, didn't blame them for a second, because as stated previously the dealership can't control other people and prevent them from coming on the lot and taking what they want or causing damage to other people's property.

The customer stopped being always right when they became scam artists trying to get something for free when they aren't entitled to it. If we personally damage someone's property: bump a car in the parking lot, cut a tire on a lift, etc. we will absolutely pay to repair that damage because that is our fault. But expecting us to pay for something that is out of our control is ridiculous.

That is your choice, however your logic here is flawed on so many levels I'm not sure where I should start. The fine print doesn't say we can screw you, it simply states we can't control everything and for that reason we aren't responsible for the person that decides they like your wheels, while we aren't open drives on the lot and takes them. You are acting like we don't respect other peoples' property when it is on our lot, you are wrong, absolutely wrong. We treat every customer's vehicle like they are our own, better than our own for that matter. See the bold and large font for the absolute dumbest quote ever posted on the VTCoA, I hope you are applauding them as your insurance rates rise with everyone else's to help the insurance company recoup their losses.

This right here is one of the few things that is right with the world. Someone who doesn't sue at the drop of a hat. It is unfortunate that something like this would happen but it is part of business. If someone feels the need to post on the internet that their vehicle was vandalized in our lot and for some reason puts that blame on the dealership, that is flawed logic in my opinion. I have had my vehicle vandalized on someone else's lot, didn't blame them for a second, because as stated previously the dealership can't control other people and prevent them from coming on the lot and taking what they want or causing damage to other people's property.

Just wondering what you would say if you took a valuable diamond ring to the jeweler to have it cleaned and it got lost. Wasn't his fault? How bout taking your computer to the repair shop and some other customer bumped into it and it hit the floor and is trash. Maybe I am totally wrong but I leave my truck with a certified dealer and it is his responsibility that I get it back as delivered. Who knows who stole the tires and wheels? Maybe an inside job but the bottom line I trusted him and believe he does indeed have a fiduciary responsibility. Am I mistaken, does the dealer not have insurance for just this kind of problem?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back