Into the wild blue yonder..........

walbert said:
Lesson 4.
Take off- Very good. Got complimented from the instructor.
Slow flight/ Stalls/ Stall recovery- Very good, the instructor thought I have done this before.
Todays landing........ a bit squirrely
I felt the instructor put in a bit of correction to get me back on track. The wind was gusting a bit and I wasn't coming in straight. Landed off the center line a bit... but hey, I landed it and we walked away with no damage to the aircraft :D

screw the aircraft, as long as your ok. if it comes down to me or the plane guess what i'll choose.... you take a video camera up yet? i have been searching for a window mount for a camera so next time i can record it.

I got a window mount, but haven't taken it up yet. I will though. :D

Wow, I haven't kept this updated in awhile.
Today was lesson #8. touch and go's for 2 hours.
I'm getting really comfortable with talking on the radio, take offs are no problem. I am holding on the center line really good. Landings are getting alot better. Getting the landings on the center line much better now.
I also went up and rode back seat with a friend who was getting a check ride. Its really interesting seeing another instructors view point on everything.
Here are some pics from that ride. Pics are big so I am posting links.

Lantana airport
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/...arch 3 2010/?action=view&current=781df2e4.jpg

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/...arch 3 2010/?action=view&current=8daf15a0.jpg

Boynton Beach inlet
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/...arch 3 2010/?action=view&current=6fa2589a.jpg

Looking north
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/...arch 3 2010/?action=view&current=1633439c.jpg

My House
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/...arch 3 2010/?action=view&current=807ad3eb.jpg

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Yea it is a great view. We have no mountains, but with a beach like that, I cant complain. It was a nice change to get over the beach again. I haven't been out that way since the first lesson. Alot nicer than seeing the swap and fields from out west. There were ALOT of sharks that you could see still near shore.

Nice pics. Wish I was flying again. I haven't done so since 1987. What airplane are you taking your lessons in?

5e823efd.jpg

2004 172SP

KLN 94 IFR GPS
Nexrad
traffic avoidance
dual nav-comms
airbags

ZCx said:
airbags?????

Yea, thats what i'm thinking. It says so..... I am still waiting to get my manual for the airplane. After I get that, I can let ya know. I looked, but have yet to find anything in the plane. :dontknow:

Found this:
The AAIR system is designed to enhance passenger safety in aircraft by reducing head impact trauma in otherwise survivable accidents. The system resembles a normal seat belt in size and shape, but it contains an airbag that rapidly inflates upon sensing an impact. The airbag is folded into a sheath on the lap restraint and safely deploys away from the passenger, eliminating many of the hazards of automotive airbags that deploy toward the occupant. The system is self-contained, modular, and independent of aircraft power.

Last edited:
walbert said:
5e823efd.jpg

2004 172SP

KLN 94 IFR GPS
Nexrad
traffic avoidance
dual nav-comms
airbags

i plan to do my next one in a 172 RG. you get a signature for "complex aircraft" if you do lessons in a RG.

scoobert said:
i plan to do my next one in a 172 RG. you get a signature for "complex aircraft" if you do lessons in a RG.

No 172, 182, or 206 RG's at the place I am training at. Would have to do it in a Piper Arrow.

Lesson #9 today.
Clouds @ 1000ft, winds 17kts gusting to 29kts. That being said......... Holly crap was that not fun.
We flew the pattern and was just working on take offs and landings again. I didnt even have a touch and go today because of the landings. I also had 2 firsts today. I ended up bouncing a landing, but ended up landing it with little problems. Only one bounce that brought me back up probably 5 ft.
The second first was a go around. I was coming in all lined up but getting bounced around but no different really from the other landings. I am over the end of the runway and just cut power back to idle and out of fricking nowhere the plane was tossed to the right sided so the nose was at 45 degree angle, and the winds no where near level. I pushed the throttle to full, got it leveled out, called the go around, and got the hell outta there. My instructor was like " i was wondering what that was all about" He was happy to see that I called the go around all on my own, and handled it really well.
I ended the day with the highest winds, but had my best landing. :rock:

I remember those things happening to me too...and that was 45 years ago!

You will never forget that first real bounce, or the cross wind that all of a sudden makes your life stream past...mine was setting up for a crosswind landing, crabbed a little dropped a wing a little to slip towards the end of the runway...and the wind died!!!! Same issue...went around wondering if I needed new underpants???

Very interesting and fun stuff, Wal......

Thanks for sharing it......... a bit of a thrill, eh?

D

yea, bit of a thrill. Sorta like a haunted house as a little kid. :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back