Is this a rod bearing?

No they would have had to left engine, remove mains and see worn mains. Metal shavings aren't going to choose to stay next to the mains that are supposedly bad. Doesn't work like that! Someone there wants your engine

They did seem sad when I said I'll pass on the short block rebuild. :dontknow:

Time to see if BMX will make house calls, ill pay him for his time at this point but he is busy.

Hard to tell your issue, did you drain the oil and cut open the filter? Also if you have to rebuild I've heard good things about Grimes machine shop in Alpharetta. They have done some Gen 2 Viper builds for major powered cars. ARD in Flowery Branch also has done some some work of a Few TT vipers and I'm sure they maybe able to assist in a rebuild.

Both shops are in GA..I miss Ga.

You mentioned this all started right after the truck was dropped off of a jack - any chance the bell housing got damaged and noise is coming from the flywheel. I think the bell housing is aluminum so it wouldn't bend so you might need to check it for cracks and breaks. I didn't see if this was a QC but if so there is also a metal cover plate on the bottom of the bell housing that could be damaged and contacting the bell housing. This might be way off base but it's hard to imagine internal engine damage showing up after a fall off of jack stands.

Sounds fishy to me. The excess blowby could be bottom end but the noise not so much. Locked up means it won't turn over. The starter would just click & stall.

Arrow did the engine in my truck. So far so good.

You mentioned this all started right after the truck was dropped off of a jack - any chance the bell housing got damaged and noise is coming from the flywheel. I think the bell housing is aluminum so it wouldn't bend so you might need to check it for cracks and breaks. I didn't see if this was a QC but if so there is also a metal cover plate on the bottom of the bell housing that could be damaged and contacting the bell housing. This might be way off base but it's hard to imagine internal engine damage showing up after a fall off of jack stands.

Its an RC, and the noise did start when it slid of the rocks other then that it was fine. I'll get up under it this weekend to verify if they actually did drop/lower the oil pan.

Hard to tell your issue, did you drain the oil and cut open the filter? Also if you have to rebuild I've heard good things about Grimes machine shop in Alpharetta. They have done some Gen 2 Viper builds for major powered cars. ARD in Flowery Branch also has done some some work of a Few TT vipers and I'm sure they maybe able to assist in a rebuild.

Both shops are in GA..I miss Ga.

Thanks for the leads.

Its an RC, and the noise did start when it slid of the rocks other then that it was fine. I'll get up under it this weekend to verify if they actually did drop/lower the oil pan.

RC manual transmission has a metal inspection plate as well. Dealership should have said something if it was hitting though because it has to be removed to get the oil pan off.

I just watched your video and I have to agree with others it sounds nothing like a rod knock. Too tinny sounding. Doesn't even sound like it is internal to the motor - like a pulley or something is making metal/metal contact.

Last edited:
I would pull the valve covers and buy a remote starter switch to be able to see what's going on with the heads/valves/springs/pushrod area while the motor is turned over slowly.

Just an update on my truck.

Engine has been pulled, oil pan dropped and this was in the pan. They dont know what it is at the moment, tear down is needed. The upper end looked good, rockers/springs, etc. I'll update as I find out more.

Anybody have any ideals what these pieces might be from?

Attachments

• SRT10RAM.jpg
    SRT10RAM.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 128
the one is a penny:rock::D

to me looks a bit like a part of the liner bore:dontknow:

I concur, the top piece is definitely a penny. The 2 other pieces don't appear to be part of the liner.

I concur, the top piece is definitely a penny. The 2 other pieces don't appear to be part of the liner.

Now im concern, I was hoping you'd be able to identify that with ease. They are cracking it open even further so I'll know in a day or so.

Now im concern, I was hoping you'd be able to identify that with ease. They are cracking it open even further so I'll know in a day or so.

Let me run out and take a look at one of the blocks I have and see if I can ID the area it came from.

Likely pieces they found from some other car and trying to get your engine still :(
Doesn't look familiar to me

I was wondering when we would get an update. Sounds like its still a bit of a mystery. Sorry for your troubles. My guess is possibly part of a piston skirt. Maybe unseen because the piston is up in the bore. either way, you should know soon enough

Update, bent rod. Pieces on that photo was from the broken piston attached to this rod. This was on the 6 cylinder im told, the 10 cylinder piston is also showing wear. No damaged to the crank im being told, im very lucky. I'll update with photos and more info.

*update* Photo of the bent rod damaged piston, this is what was knocking.

Attachments

• bent-rod.jpg
    bent-rod.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back