Is this a rod bearing?

Was just wondering if the top had any type of damage. Last rod I seen like that was hydro locked with fluid in the combustion chamber.

The upside on this is that there was NO oiling issue. Rod bearing is intact and NOT blue from heat. You also said no crank damage.

Downside is that you had your piston (and possibly 2) "stuck" in your cylinder(s). Are the rings at the top land free? The first image of your piston with bent rod zoomed in on show some smearing of the aluminum over the ring. If so.... DETONATION. I'd check fuel system and tune. Rods do NOT bend like that unless the small end is under extreme load at RPM. Also, the piston top looks like an ideal environment for glowing hot spots from all the carbon build up. The engine was overdue for some Techron or Sea Foam treatment.

If this were my engine, I would widdle the new piston tops and remove any sharp points or edges around relief pockets etc. Also have the tops bead blasted to provide an even "Teflon like" surface to allow the carbon to evenly deposit onto. Just some extra tricks to keep the new build from being sensitive to dreaded detonation.

Yes, you are lucky the rod bent and did not break and window the block.

Cheers

I thought the carbon build up on the piston looked excessive as well. The 92k mile pistons I just pulled out didn't look nearly as carboned up.

mystery solved. I'm looking forward to watching your progression with the rebuild, as well as the responses from the vendors who may be able to offer different rebuild kits. Does your builder think that piston is beyond re-using? Will you try and do the rebuild yourself?

I sure as hell wouldn't reuse it.

For the amount of money that would be spent on building the engine, why risk it on re-using a bad piston?

Hydraulic lock. Check fuel injector, wiring, and ECU function on that cylinder.

thats the only thing it can be to bend a rod like that and no damage to the crown of the piston:rock:

Well I'll be....yeah something went awry in that cylinder for sure. Really didn't think it would be bottom end but there ya go. Lucky it didn't break

So much for the mook at the shop trying to scam you out of your engine...

I'd doubt hydro lock... the piston top would have been "washed out". Carbon has a dry appearance.

Cheers!

I want to say this just happen out the blue. It didnt happen while I was driving, I started it and that noise was there and cut it off. It hasnt went a mile since April. Prolly why it didnt break since I was not driving it. It was raining when I started and that noise was there. It just seems like a freak situation overall.

Motor is getting rebuilt since everything is torn apart. It will live again in a few weeks.

The new information helps. I would be interested to know HOW the fluid or water got into the cylinder(s) from just sitting. Something different about the engine air intake? Stuck injector would have to been on quite awhile....

Keep us posted.

Cheers

I want to say this just happen out the blue. It didnt happen while I was driving, I started it and that noise was there and cut it off. It hasnt went a mile since April. Prolly why it didnt break since I was not driving it. It was raining when I started and that noise was there. It just seems like a freak situation overall.

Motor is getting rebuilt since everything is torn apart. It will live again in a few weeks.

Did you confuse your oil filler cap and your windshield washer fluid jug again??? :D

Ouch.. yea my local mechanic wanted 8k+ to rebuild mine. I was like oh heeeeel na! So i just did it my self for 3k practicly a complete rebuild :)... One broken pushrod, 4 washed pistons (bad rings) and a REAAALLY bad burned valve

Also, i would suggest letting your mechanic know that Venomous1 can supply the parts. He has the contacts and im sure he might get them cheaper then your mechanic. I spent 2 weeks looking for main bearings (which aparently are discontinued according to 2 dealer ships) and Venomous had a set in his shelf the whole time ha.

Last edited:
So just an update, my truck is done. I pick it up tomorrow. Ive been told after looking at what they replaced it lived a hard life with the prior owners. I knew I was going to rebuild this motor one day, I just didnt think it would be half a year later of owning it.

As far as the bent rod, no idea how it happen, but im over it now. Im looking forward to driving my truck for the first time since april. Hope I still remember how to shift, ha!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back