JMB vs MOPAR CAI

80boboli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've had my bone stock truck for about a month now and its getting warm out so i think it's time for the first mod. At some point i will b adding B&B exhaust and a tune but i want to start with a CAI.

Currently I have narrowed it to the JMB or the MOPAR. The MOPAR is a lot more expensive but from what i have read it seems like the better CAI. I also like the way he mopar takes up the extra space that is left over from the extra battery mount.

On the other hand I know i can get the catch can to match if i go with JMB and the whole kit is a little cheaper and i can get it powder coated. If i most likely will not be doing a SC at least not for a while is the catch can necessary for a slightly modded engine?

Any feed back on the CAI looks and performance would be appreciated. Is the mopar CAI worth the extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars?

Mopar cai all the way - it worth the money - in both looks and performance, but I would choose the volant Over all of them - I have had ALL the after market intakes - and the volant performed the best.....

This IMHO .......

Don't need to take ne slack from the nay Sayers ....

Me I would get a volant or a k&n reason being you looking for a cai not a metal tube that's going to look good under your hood...

Thanks

Chris

i've had my bone stock truck for about a month now and its getting warm out so i think it's time for the first mod. At some point i will b adding B&B exhaust and a tune but i want to start with a CAI.

Currently I have narrowed it to the JMB or the MOPAR. The MOPAR is a lot more expensive but from what i have read it seems like the better CAI. I also like the way he mopar takes up the extra space that is left over from the extra battery mount.

On the other hand I know i can get the catch can to match if i go with JMB and the whole kit is a little cheaper and i can get it powder coated. If i most likely will not be doing a SC at least not for a while is the catch can necessary for a slightly modded engine?

Any feed back on the CAI looks and performance would be appreciated. Is the mopar CAI worth the extra 2 or 3 hundred dollars?

I have had the Mopar, JMB, and Volant on my grey truck and am using the K & N dropin on my red truck.
I liked the sound and SOTP performance with the Mopar but I wanted the Catch can and I also wanted to use the spare battery box custom box that I had.
I like the look of the JMB and I would say performance wise it would be equal to the Volant.
The Mopar is really sturdy and works well but I think the benefit of the integrated Catch Can out weighs the small performance advantage of the Mopar.

If you want bling get the JMB...Best lookin CAI out there....If you want performance just drop a K&N filter in your stock box...best CAI you can have for the truck...

I have heard all sorts of bad things about the volant CAI (with ram air). they have ran all sorts of test on here and most say you lose power with it. I put it on and IMMEDIATLY felt a seat of the pants difference.

Plus logic would dictate it would produce a jump in hp espessially at 40+mph

I debated on doing a write up on it but my buddy an my "feeling" is all i have to go on. i have not run any wind tunel, dyno, airflow, etc tests. but I KNOW i felt a diff. especially at the power band in second and up.

i would highly recoment Volant, but im sure someone on here will say im crazy and you acctualy loose HP with this mod,

Attempting to grab air from the open hood "Vent" does not provide any kind of Ram effect. It is loctaed in a low pressure area. Just take some of the blue painters tape, attach it to the front top of grill at hood line, then run it strait to the top of the windshield. If the scoop of any kind is below that line - NO positive pressure. You would have to be in the cowl area to obtain some pressure. You might get some cool air feed under engine vacuum though.

The stock system w/ a K&N is very good at providing the coolest air and ample volume.

Feel kinda stupid i didnt see it arlier.
when i put on the cai i took out the oem (im guessing) filter. that right there moght be part of it.

+ when i put it on it was 40 degrees out.

i would still recomend it though. No matter what you are assured to get the coldest air poss with the scoop. No question asked. esp if you seal the filter box.

If you want bling get the JMB...Best lookin CAI out there....If you want performance just drop a K&N filter in your stock box...best CAI you can have for the truck...

I agree! The stock set up is basically already CAI. Get the K&N drop in "cone" filter used in the 2500 Cummins stock airbox (Part E-0776). It will work in our airbox by simply removing the "intake" tube that snaps in/out of the side of the factory airbox.

Part E-0776 Product Specifications
Product Style: Unique Air Filters
Base Inside Length: 7.313 in (186 mm)
Base Inside Width: 6.313 in (160 mm)
Base Outside Length: 10.938 in (278 mm)
Base Outside Width: 9.938 in (252 mm)
CFM: 636.8
Filter Material: Cotton Gauze
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 6.29 oz (186 ml)
Height: 6.875 in (175 mm)
Top Outside Length: 7.5 in (191 mm)
Top Outside Width: 6.5 in (165 mm)
Weight: 4.4 lb (2 kg)
Product Box Length: 11.94 in (303 mm)
Product Box Width: 7.31 in (186 mm)
Product Box Height: 11.94 in (303 mm)

KNFilter.jpg

Oh yea. Thanks Larry (TNVIPER) for giving me the heads up fo this application.

Attachments

• K&N Filter.bmp
    138.1 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back