JTS Venom upgrades

Trainman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have recently installed some new upgrades from JTS Venom performance and I will be going to the final Test & Tune at Famoso this Sunday , Nov 4th to test them out. But here are a few initial impressions as I break in my new transmission I recently received back from Tick Performance.
As many of you know, last time at the strip I broke the master cylinder out of the firewall. I bought the JTS Venom clutch upgrade, with metal master and slave cylinder kit. I really like this! Pedal pressure is much easier with my McLeod twin disc.
I also bought the JTS Venom Gen II Shifter, wow its really close and tight throw....impressive.
I also bouth the JTS Venom Electric fan conversion and eliminated the factory hydraulic unit. I save some weight (about 10 lbs), really cleaned up the front compartment, went to a smaller overflow bottle. With the new hydraulic lines back into the power steering pump...it sounds like I have a small supercharger whine, just slight, but kinda cool. I also eliminated the upper Volant hood scoop, I just use the one behind the grill now (homemade using one of the brake duct tubes). I also bought an underdrive pulley for the Alternator. Truck runs at 170 degrees around town. Fan works great.
And finally, I bought the JTS Venom Carbon Fiber Driveshaft. It weighed 17 lbs compared to the stock driveshaft at 15.7 lbs. I weighed each 6 times to make sure. We did a dyno test baseline before and after and there is no noticeable difference in power output. Driving impressions.... very smooth, there is less in cab noise on the freeway, virtually no shifter vibration or noise! It is supposed to help with your 60' time (up to .15 sec.) but I really doubt that much....I can only hope. Results to be reported after this weekend.
Finally , I am breaking in my new transmission. I was having an issue with 2nd gear not going in. Turns out I had a broken shift fork, a funny wear pattern on 3rd gear, a bad input shaft, and a different wear pattern on the output shaft bearings. Tick Performance in NC is running a sale on their Stage II Viper rebuild for $1599, free shipping both ways. Rebuild includes carbon fiber synchros, stonger steel shift forks, Chryo treatment of all internals , and Polishing of all the gears! Torque capacity is increased to 750 ftlbs at the wheels! I am in the process of breaking in the trans now (recommended 400 miles of normal driving) so I have not tried any power shifts, but again the trans is smooth and quiet, no gear noise at all, in town or on the freeway!
Well thats it. We'll see how things work out on Nov. 4th.....wish me luck:rock:

Last edited:
Cool man keep us updated sounds like you will have better times with these upgrades!

Good luck bud! Sounds like a recipe for a new PR

I have a question for you.

Do you think by using the new shifter, will it throw off your shifting for a bit ?
I ask cause you were use to your shifter.

What no strikers?

Just wait.....they're out of stock right now, on the street Strikers. I will be getting a bare set (without valves and springs), that will be going to Greg Good for porting, special valves and springs. More on this later in the spring.

I have a question for you.

Do you think by using the new shifter, will it throw off your shifting for a bit ?
I ask cause you were use to your shifter.

Nope.....at my age (66), I've been doing this (power shifting) since 1964 and I rarely find a shifter that throws me off. I've been lucky that way!:rock:

Just wait.....they're out of stock right now, on the street Strikers. I will be getting a bare set (without valves and springs), that will be going to Greg Good for porting, special valves and springs. More on this later in the spring.

That's right Jerry. There should be some Striker-Rs in a week or so.
The Street Strikers are all gone until the end of the year.
There is room for sure in the Street Strikers so I'm anxious to see the performance of your rig after Greg Good works his magic on them !!

Ronnie

Can't wait to see how everything works out for you. Good luck!

I also bouth the JTS Venom Electric fan conversion and eliminated the factory hydraulic unit. I save some weight (about 10 lbs), really cleaned up the front compartment, went to a smaller overflow bottle. With the new hydraulic lines back into the power steering pump...it sounds like I have a small supercharger whine, just slight, but kinda cool.

is this normal have the same sound ?

Apparently this is not good, so I will be installing a larger diameter power steering line, per JTS Venom instructions.
I have the original Diameters (1/2" and 3/8")
Today i have locking inside for the steerlinggear and i don't See any Over pressure valve

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back