Just inspected a 2005 RC with 16K miles and had few questions

twincharge7

Reaction score
Hey all,

I need all of the helpful information from the expert and experienced ones. Negative comments and stupid jokes are not needed here...seriously. They will not be responded and will be ignored. As I have been hunting for a black RC from the past 6 months, I finally found a local one with 16K miles with clear title. The owner is just a young guy with the third baby on the way and had to sell the RC and sadly, he owned it for three months only. To remind you, this was my first time to ever inspect an SRT-10 up closed but I had been automotive enthusiast since I was a kid. Brought my creeper with me to see everything underneath the truck yesterday (I wish I took the pictures) and wondered over a few things:

A. There were matte black paint in the middle of the truck, which I suspected was the undercoat. But, on the side (still underneath), the paint was silver (overspray silver and overspray matte black) so I asked the seller and of course, the stupid had never seen the bottom of the truck :stupid: Then, I looked the rear Bilstein shocks (on my creeper) from the middle of the truck and they were matte black. Surprisingly, the part of the rear shocks that faced the front was painted black. Then, (on my creeper) I entered underneath the truck from the rear and shockingly, from the rear looking at the shocks, they were not painted black (The usual yellow color Bilstein shocks). My questions:
1. Were there a possibility of an accident or multiple of accidents? (I had seen the wonders of a major damage of a wrecked car and was transformed to almost to a new car)
2. Would it be possible that those condition (overspray) coming from the factory or the dealership where the seller got it from?

B. When checking the left OEM fog light, I noticed there was moisture built up inside and wasn't too happy with it. I thought there was a crack/a small hole but it wasn't. Then, I checked the right OEM fog light, I noticed there was 1/8th of an inch of water accumulation. YES, WATER ACCUMULATION!!!! I asked him: do you know that all of the wiring can be burned in a few seconds when water and electricity mixed? Of course, the stupid didn't know how water got it in there :stupid:

My questions: Are all 2005 RC have the same issues from the factory?

If the issue came from the factory, I'd certainly walking away from my dream to own viper truck since 5 years ago.

You can get a Vehicle History report for 1.00, I would suggest thats where you start. Anybody can climb under a truck with a rattlecan and make color changes

Hey all,

I need all of the helpful information from the expert and experienced ones. Negative comments and stupid jokes are not needed here...seriously. They will not be responded and will be ignored. As I have been hunting for a black RC from the past 6 months, I finally found a local one with 16K miles with clear title. The owner is just a young guy with the third baby on the way and had to sell the RC and sadly, he owned it for three months only. To remind you, this was my first time to ever inspect an SRT-10 up closed but I had been automotive enthusiast since I was a kid. Brought my creeper with me to see everything underneath the truck yesterday (I wish I took the pictures) and wondered over a few things:

A. There were matte black paint in the middle of the truck, which I suspected was the undercoat. But, on the side (still underneath), the paint was silver (overspray silver and overspray matte black) so I asked the seller and of course, the stupid had never seen the bottom of the truck :stupid: Then, I looked the rear Bilstein shocks (on my creeper) from the middle of the truck and they were matte black. Surprisingly, the part of the rear shocks that faced the front was painted black. Then, (on my creeper) I entered underneath the truck from the rear and shockingly, from the rear looking at the shocks, they were not painted black (The usual yellow color Bilstein shocks). My questions:
1. Were there a possibility of an accident or multiple of accidents? (I had seen the wonders of a major damage of a wrecked car and was transformed to almost to a new car)
2. Would it be possible that those condition (overspray) coming from the factory or the dealership where the seller got it from?

B. When checking the left OEM fog light, I noticed there was moisture built up inside and wasn't too happy with it. I thought there was a crack/a small hole but it wasn't. Then, I checked the right OEM fog light, I noticed there was 1/8th of an inch of water accumulation. YES, WATER ACCUMULATION!!!! I asked him: do you know that all of the wiring can be burned in a few seconds when water and electricity mixed? Of course, the stupid didn't know how water got it in there :stupid:

My questions: Are all 2005 RC have the same issues from the factory?

If the issue came from the factory, I'd certainly walking away from my dream to own viper truck since 5 years ago.

The paint could be anything. I have a silver one and my under side is not as you described. The water in the fogs could be as simple as a bulb changed and not locked back in correctly. One thing to remember is just b/c it has low miles doesn't mean it will be in show room condition sadly. It is 8 years old. And before you get worried about water in the fog lights....the fuse will blow before all the trucks wiring shorts out and burns to the ground.

I had about 1 inch of water in my passenger side fog light for a long time. Finally got around to replacing them. No big deal.

There are people here who can carfax it for free for you, maybe one of them will chime in. If you're worried about it find a dealer in the area that has a Viper tech on staff and have them look it over. Did you drive it or just look at it?

Negative comments and stupid jokes on this forum??? Never bro youre in a really safe place. *cough* Why didnt you use "your creeper" to check out the stupids WATER ACCUMULATION?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gDcc-C8mbU]Eric Church - Creepin' (Official Video) - YouTube[/ame]

sometimes dealerships will spray bomb the undersides of cars to make them more appealing on the lot. i'd venture to say that's it.

i've never seen one from the factory that's had that much overspray on it.

Yea I didnt understand all the namecalling either, especially after he said "no jokes or negative comments" I think this guys a "creep"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZydtG3xqI[/ame]

Where are you located? I am selling my '04 with 23k miles on it, guaranteed never been in an accident. :D

somewhere in Ohio?

Lol...thanks all. Gonna get the VIN# and anyone can carfax it for me?

A09F39C3-059C-49B6-A2DB-C18BBEEF8269-4017-0000050D51695D87_zpsb3370d7a.jpg

Last edited:
I inspected it and test drove it.

There are people here who can carfax it for free for you, maybe one of them will chime in. If you're worried about it find a dealer in the area that has a Viper tech on staff and have them look it over. Did you drive it or just look at it?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back