Lifter question

ramv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed slow bleed lifters and had them at 3/4 turn from 0 lash. After running the truck to pump up the lifters, i re-adjusted them to 1 turn from lash and everything was fine. Truck had been sitting for a week and i fired it up today. There was a ticking sound from the driver side head that sounded like a loose rocker. I turned the truck off and took the valve cover off and the rockers on cylinder 1 were loose. Started the truck again and all the rockers were getting oil except the ones on cylinder 1. After about 20 seconds oil started flowing from the rockers on cylinder 1 and the rockers weren't loose anymore. Push rods are seated correctly on the lifters and rocker cups. Lifters are installed with oil hole up. Why would the lifters loose oil pressure like that. Input?

Also im using the oem black oil filter and 15w50 oil weight and its been kinda cold this week. Is there an oiling problem to the cylinder 1 lifters that anyone is aware of.

I had a similar issue on mine when we installed the Strikers. Once the lifter pumped up, the ticking went away and there were no further issues. 15w50 is fairly heavy oil. I run 0w40 here, where it get's really cold.

I should also say I started my truck up last week, it was about 20F and there were no issues.

I had a similar issue on mine when we installed the Strikers. Once the lifter pumped up, the ticking went away and there were no further issues. 15w50 is fairly heavy oil. I run 0w40 here, where it get's really cold.

Lifters were already pumped up and today they were not. After running the engine for a while, lifters finally pumped back up after oil started flowing through them again. Kinda weird that none of the other lifters were doing that. Making me think its an oiling issue to those lifters on cylinder one. Also, oil level is fine.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm jumping the gun and need to break in my setup a little longer

Are you running the heavier oil just to lower the lifter noise? Or.....?

Are you running the heavier oil just to lower the lifter noise? Or.....?

Just for better protection. I usually run the heavier weight during summer, but thats what I had available in my garage at the moment.

Put a few miles on it to make sure the lifters are fully pumped up. Sometimes (often) there are one or two stubborn ones (when they are brand new) that need additional time to pump-up and finally quiet down after they do.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back