Local Birds

Don't forget these little guys.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Attachments

• DSCN0222.JPG
    DSCN0222.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 49
It's not a local bird, I was just Throwin you a fast ball. It is a personal shot though...................... Meaning my wife took it.

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
meh someone beat me to the eagle post, but ive got a pack of these around the back yard..

DSC01061.jpg

That blue sky is a rare pic in Vancouver Canada. Did you photoshop the blue sky?:D

Great thread, just found it.

Will get the camera out.

Hummingbirds arrived last week, at the same time as the Orioles.

Have hordes of Goldfinch. Put out bluebird boxes this year and have one nesting pair...the other box has been taken over by a pair of tree swallows which eat lots of flying insects and are a beautiful blue color too so we let them stay.

Apparently bird watching and horsepower is somehow a symbiotic relationship...the sublime and the ridiculous?

Last edited:
I also feed the local birds. Too many to list. Of note are cardinals, red tail hawks, and owls. Needless to say, between the hawks, the owls and the coyotes, small dogs and cats don't last long in this neighborhood. My favorites are the Quail babies this time of year. Had a quail lay eggs in a potted plant on my patio this year. Made sure to act like I never really noticed her so she didn't abandon them. Well, last week the eggs hatched and two of the babies were trapped in between the pots (I had one inside the other). I noticed the mother Quail on the patio acting a bit frantic. Went out and discovered the two trapped hatchlings and set them free. Daddy Quail waited by the pot until they finally came out and joined their siblings. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
JRSVIPR said:
Look at the feet.
In the bird world they are talons, as for the mighty penguin,................those are some feet, water fins.........:rock: :D :rock:

Demon 8 said:
Much harder to catch on camera but yes, red tailed hawk, coopers hawks
Gunna buy a camera , gotta save a little scratch, $ :rock: :D :rock: , this thread is a winner..............:rock: :congrats: :rock:

I missed a male and female Indigo Bunting and my first Baltimore Oriole yesterday morning. I also picked up a window hummingbird feeder that is getting attention so I should have better pics of the ruby throat soon

Lynette and I are both major birders....

We have a goodly number of Western Tanagers, Orioles, and others that frequent our pond and waterfall in the backyard.....

We used to do hummingbirds big time when we lived in Aspen, but not in California.... One summer between May 9th and September 1st we used 185 lbs of suger.... No horseshit......

Here's a cool video I found on You Tube and some great hummer piks...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yujQFrXhG4c&NR=1

Enjoy

D

Attachments

• cosat's bib.jpg
    cosat's bib.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 18
  • costas  purple.jpg
    costas purple.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 14
  • costa's blue.jpg
    costa's blue.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 14
  • costa's colors.jpg
    costa's colors.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 16
  • rufous 1.jpg
    rufous 1.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 18
  • rufous 2.jpg
    rufous 2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 17
  • rufous 6.jpg
    rufous 6.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 15
this is our local bird, a thunderbird :D

the birds that fly around over there are nice
101856235_5_CwkA.jpg

In San Francisco there are two populations of wild parrots. I did not know this until I saw them. Always though it was strange but pretty cool. So I searched the web to share some pictures with you guys and found a short video of them.

http://www.wildparrotsfilm.com/TPOTH_Trailer.wmv

The city has now made it illegal to feed the birds because the birds are becoming so tame that they land on people.

Back