Low HP numbers

moparman95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any idea whats goin on here?? Ported TB, No cats, CAI, a tune from Torrie, and I can only get 367 at the wheels. WTF mate?? The tune is just a little lean on the front side, 12.8, so its not lean enough to rob me of that much power.

Its an RC, and we pulled it in 4th gear. I bought her used, what could the previous owner have done? :dontknow: Ideas??

Yup looks like mine, my rings didn't seat on all 10cyls if you have a boroscope or access to one pull the plugs and take a look for a cross hatch if you can see one your cylinder walls are glazed.

http://vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46930

There are a few other threads I have trying to figure out my problem I would post them but I have to leave for work now.

Yup looks like mine, my rings didn't seat on all 10cyls if you have a boroscope or access to one pull the plugs and take a look for a cross hatch if you can see one your cylinder walls are glazed.

http://vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46930

There are a few other threads I have trying to figure out my problem I would post them but I have to leave for work now.

Awww man... I gotta boroscope, I'll check that out. That's not the news I wanted to hear man! I'll check the TPS cause I am having that high idle issue. Rings.. shit.. looks like I'm gonna get some motor honey too.

depends on the dyno more than anything, the area an so on, dont dwelve on the numbers,
also on the tb sometimes I dont get enough of the coating off the idle screw where the throttle hits, take a look at it, see if there is some color there, if so , take a small file (finger nail file works best) take off a touch of powder and the idle should correct itself

Any idea whats goin on here?? Ported TB, No cats, CAI, a tune from Torrie, and I can only get 367 at the wheels. WTF mate?? The tune is just a little lean on the front side, 12.8, so its not lean enough to rob me of that much power.

Its an RC, and we pulled it in 4th gear. I bought her used, what could the previous owner have done? :dontknow: Ideas??

425 wheel is about normal on a Dynojet for a stock Gen III with a standard transmission. Under 400 for an automatic.
If it is a Mustang or a Dynodynamics like the one we use, you can expect 10-15% less than that, on average.
A 1/4 mile track is a great place to see IF the vehicle is low on power or if you just have a stingy dyno..

Some guys really get carried away with horsepower numbers and when you see a QC with "750 to the wheels" run 100 m.p.h., something is really wrong with those numbers...:)

Ronnie

Not the dyno, same one I use and my times are fine. Scott didn't mention it but he can't get it to run quicker than a 14.2. Thought it was the driver till we took it to the dyno,lol. For some reason it runs really rich above 4k, dips to 10 A/F on the high end. Vaccuum leaks maybe?

if thats the case then he needs an air fuel guage of some sort to get an accurate reading , give that to torrie to adjsut, but also a leak down test , an a possible oil analysis will tell him alot also

I got the retune from Torrie, and had it re dyno'd on Sunday. A/F is back to normal, and my power curve is where it should be. Still no HP/TQ (367/440) gains.

Not the dyno, same one I use and my times are fine. Scott didn't mention it but he can't get it to run quicker than a 14.2. Thought it was the driver till we took it to the dyno,lol. For some reason it runs really rich above 4k, dips to 10 A/F on the high end. Vaccuum leaks maybe?

I ran a 14.1 once...

425 wheel is about normal on a Dynojet for a stock Gen III with a standard transmission. Ronnie

Guess the B&B exhaust, JMB intake and Xmetal TB was good for that 1hp gain I got :p

Take a look into the glazed rings and do a leakdown I went through this all last year. When mine was dynoed at rottenronnies I only put down I think around 475-485 with the blower, headers, catless @ 7#s

and my best was 507 local ( on a dynojet with 5# running a 11.7af wot, with manifolds and cats) 6months before ronnies run.

I made 417 hp and 422 tq on a stock quad cab on torries dyno in jax.

With 65k on the odo.

I think its a factory freak.

Last edited:
Question... On the dyno pulls, the 6 speeds pull in 4th gear, NOT 3rd, right??

I made 417 hp and 422 tq on a stock quad cab on torries dyno in jax.

With 65k on the odo.

I think its a factory freak.

NOT a factory freak, but more like average again dependant on the dyno. I put down 423/425 stock in my QC. After complete exhaust minus headers, TB, coil packs, wires, and tune I am currently at 428/480. My HP didn't budge much but the Torque sure did and TORQUE is what gets a 5600lb beast moving off the line!;)

Yes, you should always pull in the direct drive (1:1 ratio) gear... 4th for sticks, and 3rd for autos.

how can u pull in 3th with our automatic transmission...?
not a stupid question i hope...LOL
but my auto have gear 1 , gear 2 and then D , with the tow button on , it goes to 4th gear , right ?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back