Lowered the QC = poor ride. Suggestions to fix...

nathanfreke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lowered my truck recently and whilst i'm happy with the aesthetic results, the ride is beyond poor. To the point where i'm considering putting it back to stock.

Its a 2/4.5 drop and the problem is stemming from the rear. On my own, the truck hits the chassis over bumps and is like a spring board over rough road. With 4 people in it and some stuff in the back the truck is un drivable.

The shocks feel like they are doing zero to dampen the truck and whilst i've only flipped the axel on the springs, it feels like the spring rate is far to soft.

I've had a measure up and specced some rear (shorter) dampers to be made. I've taken a guess on valving but anything will be stiffer than whats on there at the moment. They will be adjustable so I can play with that or re valve if they are miles out.

What have people done to these trucks to get some form of ride quality back after lowering them? Is there some score with the rear springs?

The truck just feels awful ... every time I do a mod to the thing it seems to just make the truck worse!

What shocks are currently on the truck? All you did to lower the rear was a spring flip, correct?

Did you do poly bushings? You need a set of good shocks I will be selling mine if you are interested. Needs a c -notch point blank. I just dropped mine alot and it rides better than befor

It was a mcGaughys kit. Front springs, rear flip kit.

DM me a price for your shocks please.

The shocks are stock. It has drop bars on it so the shocks don't bottom out.
I'm not adversed to a C notch - but i'm almost certain that making just some normal improvements would improve the ride beyond belief.

It really is terrible - If I put my foot down and break traction, the truck turns into a pogo stick - to the point where it feels like the front screen is going to pop out! Before the drop it wasn't like this...

Anyone got a link to a poly bush setup?
Any other tricks to do to make this truck handle / ride better?

I lowered my truck recently and whilst i'm happy with the aesthetic results, the ride is beyond poor. To the point where i'm considering putting it back to stock.

Its a 2/4.5 drop and the problem is stemming from the rear. On my own, the truck hits the chassis over bumps and is like a spring board over rough road. With 4 people in it and some stuff in the back the truck is un drivable.

The shocks feel like they are doing zero to dampen the truck and whilst i've only flipped the axel on the springs, it feels like the spring rate is far to soft.

I've had a measure up and specced some rear (shorter) dampers to be made. I've taken a guess on valving but anything will be stiffer than whats on there at the moment. They will be adjustable so I can play with that or re valve if they are miles out.

What have people done to these trucks to get some form of ride quality back after lowering them? Is there some score with the rear springs?

The truck just feels awful ... every time I do a mod to the thing it seems to just make the truck worse!

Hi, i wouldnt do a flip kit and go with a Belltech leaf spring that still sits on top of the axle (cost about 360$) and gives you a 3" to 3,5" lowéring.
I would Support this with new Shocks (e.g. QA1) which are adjustable.

With this Setup you have a comfy but stiff ride and as mentioned before, i would upgrade to poly bushings (which are in the belltech leafsprings already)

All the best

Arne

i have the JTSV extreme lowering (flip) kit , with airbags in the back.
remember , a lowered vehicle is never that good ride than a stock vehicle , it looks very nice , ride great on flat roads , but with speedbumps and potholes , u cant have a sweet and soft ride...imho

i did the poly bushings and the bump steer kit from Tony's @ JTSV , and this is a good upgrade , still...lowered cars and trucks almost never rides as good as stock.

Haven't seen it mentioned but did you remove front and rear bumpstops? If you are sitting on bumpstops from and rear this is your problem. Stock our front suspension does little work as it's sitting on the rubber bumpstops already. Once lowered it has no where to go. Sitting on the bumpstops with even less suspension (spring/shock travel) gives the ride you are describing for sure.
Before spending any money take a look under her skirt. If you see rear bumpstops sitting atop axle or very little clearance and same up front to lower control arm, this is your first step towards a great riding/handling lowered truck sir.

Did somebody say C-notch?

Also keep in mind, when my truck was C-Notched you have the tire hitting the bed issue as well.. So you will need to do something to fix that as well..

And who would cut on a perfectly good SRT??? :dontknow::dontknow:

Front bump stops removed and the rear ones that were supplied with the kit are chopped right down.

The problem isn't the front, its the rear.
I understand that a lowered car is never going to be as good as a stock, there is always a comprimise but this is nothing short of lethal!

Its like the truck is so soft since I've lowered it, which I can't understand as the springs are the same.

Perhaps these new leaf springs, coupled with some decent dampers is the solution.

Back