Mac vs PC

ccfeyh said:
I'd be looking at a Dell, I've had 4 of them over the years and all have been great, My company uses Dell's and we are one of the biggest purchasers of Dell in the world. All of us IT types use Dell laptops.

I've got one of the first 3GHZ desktops ever produced by Dell (about 7 years old) and it's still running and would run Vista if I was dumb enough to install it.

Now you want a nice Dell, go for the Alienation M-17, what an awesome laptop, but it does have an awesome price tag too. Tricked out they run well into $6K.
All i've had has been dell also...they are great quality!
HP-not so much:D

Silverbullet08 said:
umm thats what makes them different. yes we know a computer is a computer :banghead:

macs use to be there own parts inside, processors were faster, the powerpc g5 was the last. after 2006 they starting using intel parts. so you can run windows on a new mac.

i think the cheapest way would be to fix the one you have, i've got a 6 year old compaq desktop and i just put more ram in and a bigger hard drive and now it works WAY better, but i'm a cheapskate so i'll keep fixing this one till i can't find parts anymore

I have 2 Toshiba laptops and they are great!! One of them is almost 6 years old and works fine. It's just too dam slow to run anything now. The other is 1 year old and has been great! I had a bad experience with Dell more than once and will not go back to them. They have a horrible tech staff and my XPS 410 rattled like a worn out Yamaha single cylinder.

if i had to buy a non-gaming rig today it would be the cheapest i could find.
get an external hard drive for your important stuff and find the features you need.
cheap computers are out of date fast. faster then they break. buy a new $300 laptop each year instead of one, $1000 laptop every 3 years.
by the second year the $300 one will be as fast as the $1000 one is now.

scoobert said:
if i had to buy a non-gaming rig today it would be the cheapest i could find.
get an external hard drive for your important stuff and find the features you need.
cheap computers are out of date fast. faster then they break. buy a new $300 laptop each year instead of one, $1000 laptop every 3 years.
by the second year the $300 one will be as fast as the $1000 one is now.
Try these, don't know if it a good deal
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1086003

Silverbullet08 said:
umm thats what makes them different. yes we know a computer is a computer :banghead:

the mother boards too..... some mother boards cant run OS ie linux

my GF just got acer and it's really nice, 6gigs ram, 500gig HDD, vista actually seems to work ok on it lol, it was only 1200 at best buy

My Parents have a MB-Pro and it's a piece of SHIT. It locks up, the graphics processor crapped out twice (took 4 weeks to have it fixed, both times), and you can't use it as a "LAP"top because the battery gets hotter than the surface of the sun. :dontknow: :eek: Some websites HATE Safari, and don't work or freak out... like Google Maps.

.... It's nice and thin, and the graphics are great (when they work)... But, it's overall rating from me is 92% Turdish. :eek:

Buy a HP or Dell laptop, use Firefox as your browser (NEVER open IE), download "AVAST!" Anti-virus (it's FREE).... and ENJOY!

Hell, for the price of a new MacBook Pro, you could have a Alienware (now owned by Dell) or a loaded Dell XPS. :cool: :rock:

I have to agree with some of the others saying Toshiba is good... They are very good. :) I just never liked the looks/ergonomics of them.

My Wife and I both have HP laptops. Her's is the big 17" model w/ 6gigs of Ram and the big hairy AMD processor. She loves it... she can run the full suite of Photoshop CS4 with everything open and it doesn't lock-up. :dontknow: Can't think of anything more taxing than that... maybe Autocad? :confused:

I've got a more compact, 15.4" model (Pavilion DV6000) and it has worked flawlessly.

If you like XP Pro, why don't you just get a new copy/license from CDW and install that on a new laptop of your choice? I prefer wiping everything on a store-bought laptop and reinstalling just the OS anyway... it gets rid of all the bull shit they load on them (trial ware, AOL :argh:, pop-up crap, registration crap, NORTON :argh: , etc.) ;)

I just went threw this delima my self a few months back.. I picked up the 24inch mac computer aand got the wife a macbook pro.. we love them. much better than that pc .. just a few min to get use to it..

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
I just went threw this delima my self a few months back.. I picked up the 24inch mac computer aand got the wife a macbook pro.. we love them. much better than that pc .. just a few min to get use to it..
I went from an old Mac G-4 to a HP all in one Touch screen. I am ready to take the Mac in to be fixed, IMO the Mac. Hands down.

SRT10VENOMOUS said:

was the pc you bought anywhere near as expensive or was it allot cheaper?
compare apples to apples folks.

JRSVIPR said:
I went from an old Mac G-4 to a HP all in one Touch screen. I am ready to take the Mac in to be fixed, IMO the Mac. Hands down.

enjoy it, the g5 was the last true mac.

mac for sure had it 2 yrs never had a virus and ive been a lot of places ............i would never have another computer if it wasnt a mac!!!!!!!!!!!

I just like the freedom with my Dell XPS. I like Macs too. The one thing that's killing PCs right now is Vista. That's why they are working fast to push out Windows 7. I don't usually get a crap load of viruses and when I do I know how to deal with em so I'll stick with my PC :D

scoobert said:
was the pc you bought anywhere near as expensive or was it allot cheaper?
compare apples to apples folks.

enjoy it, the g5 was the last true mac.

I have well lets see.. right now in my home including the home office over 5 computers/laptops..

I have a HP laptop $2600 - im on the 4th replacement of this laptop over the last 2 years bigest piece of shit ever

I have a Dell $1600- Seams to work fine but i only use it for a specific software in the office, Battry latsted a couple months and is completly dead now i just leave it plugged in..

I also have a $399 Acer one laptop lil tiny guy with xp on it brand new seams to work ok locks up quite a bit

I also have a custom built PC for gaming that i paid over 2k for It has not been turned on for over a year ..

I also have the 24inch Mac Pc - which seams to run the best of all of them

Wife has the macbook pro 17 inch i think she loves it as well

The best part about the Mac's are I have not gotten a virus yet.. I use to have hackers getting into my email and private info all the time and really casueing me problems.. after the switch that has all stopped..

I definitly will not buy another PC ever....

Ohh and I would not recommend runnign xp and linux on the same pc, if one half gets infected with viruses they can skrew up the other half..

I've had the same issue with my (old) Dell laptop (Inspiron 9200, 17").... The battery crapped out, and I had to have it plugged in all the time (24/7... it was only shut off and rebooted when updated or new software added). :( :dontknow: .... It was my everyday computer in the office for over 5 years, and I finally retired it about 3 months ago. It still ran fine (plugged in), but the screen was getting a few lines in it. :) ...... Conservative estimate would be around 40,000 hours of run-time... I think that is pretty good. :dontknow: ;) I still have it, sitting in the file cabinet. My buddy is going to "borrow" it and use it for a Motorcycle Dyno/diagnostic computer. :rock:

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I love macs but a macbook pro starts at $1600. Looked at Office Max and they have a 15 inch Toshiba for $499. Not as fast as the more expensive units but my current unit is 6 years old.

I only use the computer for internet and email. Am learning towards the Toshiba.

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back