Make your automatic live longer

jrgnd said:
Acceleration(Aka Horsepower)...That's what kill the trannies. A cummins does not accelerate as fast as a Viper Motor...

Also the Horsepower and Torque curb is dramatically different...

the cummins does however dump 500-700ft/lbs at around 1800, and full hp 400 in my case, at 2800, so the cummins hits a lot harder of the bat then the srt, not to mention it wieghs a ton more..... but its really like compareing red apples to green apples, there similar but differnt

We have had Joe at Westminster Transmissions do all of our work for the trucks. He has gone through the learning curve with this and knows what to do. We have put automatics in Vipers up to 1300hp and what we do with them is differs to what Joe does on a heavy truck.

Feel free to call and I can help.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc
310-841-6996

Dusty at http://www.htstransmissions.com/Store.html is the guy I talk to.

They re bore certain bores and lap the valve body plates to kill the port communication problems that the shift kit won't fix.

He's a really good man, and his prices are fair. the gov solenoid is sold separately.

Also the gov solenoid fail because it becomes magnetized and picks up the metal after the filter. I think after I get my HTS valve body I'll be stocking up on gov solenoids as it seems to be a throw away part.

So other then routine maintenance what do we need to do for the tranny other then a complete rebuild. Let's break this down by Needs and cost.

What can be done that is cheap?

What should be done first?

FlyingLow said:
So other then routine maintenance what do we need to do for the tranny other then a complete rebuild. Let's break this down by Needs and cost.

What can be done that is cheap?

What should be done first?

Smoke i would service the tranny and adjust the bands to begin with bo, that would be a good start

It would also be helpful if we could hear from members who either work for Dodge or have discussed with Dodge about upgrading the tranny AND still being covered under warranty.
I would definitely like to prolong the life of the tranny and if by installing better parts I get better performance while saving Dodge money and time by not having to replace parts or an entire tranny, I think they would be all for it.
Anyone with any knowledge on this? Robert?

Stinker said:
Smoke i would service the tranny and adjust the bands to begin with bo, that would be a good start

I get mine serviced at least every 15K miles if not sooner based off of my driving. I was just wondering what else I can do that is not crazy on the old wallet.

What will a shift kit do for these trucks?

What about a new valve body?

TRQ converter?

Which of these 3 will have the best result on life of the tranny or best for ET's?

FlyingLow said:
What will a shift kit do for these trucks?

What about a new valve body?

TRQ converter?

Which of these 3 will have the best result on life of the tranny or best for ET's?

A shift kit will improve line pressure and firm up clutch engagement and shifts.

a new valve body is around $500, and does almost the same thing.

trq convertor........at least $1800, and not neccessary unless you really get a good tranny together .

basically if ya want to go racing, get a complete tranny to hold the power.

but for the money a shift kit will elongate the trannies life, and improve ET's

give me a few more days ( u's guys are killin me and jeff:D ) and I will have a kit together including a deep pan, a shift kit, tranny fluid, and filter and gasket. all in one bundle.....:D

Thanks for the tranny info.
My 06 is stock with the addition of line lock. How long will the tranny survive spinning them hard in first then second at a stop then letting off the button? Have not done it yet but will when some one is videoing or a crowd is watching. Got alot of respect for you viper guys. Any suggestions?

Heat is a big killer in these trannies, keep the fluid changed at least every ten thousand or so, changin to royal purple will also help with cooling.
and a shift kit to increasse line pressure along with keeping the bands tightened will help also

For those of us with warranties, how will these transmission improvements/upgrades effect it? It would be logical that the dealership would be all for us extending the life of a very expensive part and saving them money in the process.

BlackKnight said:
For those of us with warranties, how will these transmission improvements/upgrades effect it? It would be logical that the dealership would be all for us extending the life of a very expensive part and saving them money in the process.

really depends on the dealer, but going to a deeper pan for longevity of fluid, and keeping the fluid cooler I wouldnt think would affect the warranty, now the shift kit I dont know, but I would think that it may be kinda hard to tell if it had one in it:D

Can't the dealer adjust the bands when servicing the transmission. I had the fluid and filter changed at the dealer recently, and I asked to have the bands adjusted. The service guy said you can't do it. I thought you could if you're dropping the pan for the filter change. Am I wrong? I didn't know enough to argue, but my transmission seems to slip a lot under wot.

MWM said:
Can't the dealer adjust the bands when servicing the transmission. I had the fluid and filter changed at the dealer recently, and I asked to have the bands adjusted. The service guy said you can't do it. I thought you could if you're dropping the pan for the filter change. Am I wrong? I didn't know enough to argue, but my transmission seems to slip a lot under wot.

Welcome to Dealership Hell.

Yes a Dealer can adjust the bans. I just had my tranny serviced and the bans were adjusted. In fact, when the dealer entered by VIN and mileage, the service computer told him my tranny, with ban adjustment, was do. This must be done to keep warranty. Check your service manual, find the page and take it back to the stupid bastage and show it to him. You may have to read it to him as apparently he cant read.

Good Luck

Georgia Ken said:
Welcome to Dealership Hell.

Yes a Dealer can adjust the bans. I just had my tranny serviced and the bans were adjusted. In fact, when the dealer entered by VIN and mileage, the service computer told him my tranny, with ban adjustment, was do. This must be done to keep warranty. Check your service manual, find the page and take it back to the stupid bastage and show it to him. You may have to read it to him as apparently he cant read.

Good Luck

All true :) but I wouldn't want that clown touching my truck -- find a dealer that knows how to service the 48E diesel transmissions - gees it is not rocket science and you can actually adjust bands yourself via the outside case adj screw set up and drop the pan to get to the inside adju screw set up Georgia Ken is correct - the service manual has it all :):rock:

MWM said:

It is in you owners manual at the 15K mile service. ;)

I have on the site now too, a package of a deep pan, shift kit, tranny fluid and filter. An altogether package for those wanting to do it at one time

pieces can be ordered seperatly

whats a shift kit do? as in to the driving. will it always shift hard? even when cruising( that could get annoying)?

will it help get a better shift from a performance stand point? make that worse? or stay the same?

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back