Military Thread

Newbie to the Air Force, been in only 38 months, and working to get my degree in hopes of commissioning in the next year or so. I did 15 months in Turkey, and currently stationed in the UK, but deployed at the moment. I came in open general hoping to get avionics, but they put me in comm and now I am an admin; I patch vulnerabilities on the network while working as an ethical hacker.

Last edited:
I almost remember this night......

Attachments

• Juvat1004.jpg
    Juvat1004.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 42
38357_1570238334692_2834724_n.jpg

31876_10150175446370790_5496243_n.jpg

37755_1570239654725_6901695_n.jpg

34634_1538836429664_297201_n.jpg

31876_10150175446360790_7359810_n.jpg

heres a few pics of me running some missions in Afghanistan. Cant really go into much detail about it, but we had some crazy times. As you can see we would climb mountains just to get into good sniper positions, and we would stay up there for days.

Air Force Vietnam Era Veteran here...so looks like I'm the ancient one in here..lol. Duty at March AFB at Riverside, CA with the 33rd Communications Squadron. Back in the cold war with B-52's and KC-135's. Then two years duty overseas at Wiesbaden/Sembach Air Bases in West Germany (Berlin Wall was still up) with the 601 TACC Squadron..operations had Jolly Greens and OV-10's.

Attachments

• 832_pic_2.jpg
    832_pic_2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 10
Marines 6 years 3533 motor transport deployed iraq and afganistan miss the friends but not the b.s.

Currently Army Engineer officer, prior enlisted 25B Automations (computer/commo guy), was an E-5 when I went Green to Gold, now a 2LT, should pin 1LT in August. 7 total years of service with a 3 year break for college (BS in Criminology). 2 Middle East tours (Kuwait and Iraq), 1 in Germany, and now in Afghanistan. Airborne wings, some awards, some combat patches

28th Transportation BN, Mannheim, Germany (deployed for a year)
160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) Ft. Campbell, KY
Currently 1-187 Infantry Regiment "Leader Rakkasans!" serving as the Battalion Engineer, Ft. Campbell, KY (currently deployed)

Currently Army Engineer officer, prior enlisted 25B Automations (computer/commo guy), was an E-5 when I went Green to Gold, now a 2LT, should pin 1LT in August. 7 total years of service with a 3 year break for college (BS in Criminology). 2 Middle East tours (Kuwait and Iraq), 1 in Germany, and now in Afghanistan. Airborne wings, some awards, some combat patches

Currently 1-187 IN Regiment "Leader Rakkasans!" serving as the BN Engineer, Ft. Campbell, KY (currently deployed)

Sounds like you have a promising career in the military sir. My hats off to you!

Thanks man. I knew when I was a little boy I wanted to be GI Joe. The thing was even when I was 17 I still wanted to be GI Joe, I never outgrew it lol. Enlisted at 17, been doing it ever since. I bitch and moan all the time but truth is I don't think I want to do anything else, except be a pro baseball or football player lmao which ain't happening! So Army it is!

Thanks man. I knew when I was a little boy I wanted to be GI Joe. The thing was even when I was 17 I still wanted to be GI Joe, I never outgrew it lol. Enlisted at 17, been doing it ever since. I bitch and moan all the time but truth is I don't think I want to do anything else, except be a pro baseball or football player lmao which ain't happening! So Army it is!

Yep, same with me. In october Im getting out so I can really focus on school. Id like to get a degree (or two) and get into law enforcment, crime scene investigator, detective….something like that. Dont know if I will get back in, but right now Im headed down a different path. Best of luck to you, the best officers are the ones who were enlisted first. So Im sure you will be able to make changes where needed because you see things as a soldier, not a manager.

Thanks man, I do what I can. I'll take a Sapper Platoon after the deployment, hopefully Ranger school this year and Ranger Regiment next summer, but we'll see. It's def nice to know what the Soldiers are going through having been through it myself.

Thanks man, I do what I can. I'll take a Sapper Platoon after the deployment, hopefully Ranger school this year and Ranger Regiment next summer, but we'll see. It's def nice to know what the Soldiers are going through having been through it myself.

Sapper Platoon should be awesome. Def help you get ready for Ranger school.

Currently 1-187 Infantry Regiment "Leader Rakkasans!" serving as the Battalion Engineer, Ft. Campbell, KY (currently deployed)

you need to step up your game Sir...

Being a Military Brat that chose not to join but love every aspect of our armed forces I commend you all. My desire to become a fighter pilot was crushed early in High School when the recruiter came to my school, an ex Air Force school James Connally Air Force base here in Waco,Tx, and told me due to my frame size fighter seats won't accommodate me. I was 6'0 tall, 200 lbs of critical mass, power lifting, shot put/discus throwing, football playing, through Junior Hifh and High School. I was devastated that I ruined my own attraction to fly F-14,F-15, F-16, A-10, F-117, SR71, Stealth fighters due to my increased shoulder width / Chest size basically :(
Oh well, still love my air shows and path I chose regardless, and being raised military I learned all the discipline I needed to live a good life, respectful of others. :)

Funny you say that, just the other day I was reading up on some articles about what a man has to do to become a fighter pilot. And holy shit, you basically have to be better than the best of the best. Just making into the Air Force as an officer would weed a LOT of people out, but thats just the beginning. Thats not a job, thats a life. And one that very few people have the privilege of living. When my uncle made E7 he got to ride in a fighter jet after his promotion ceremony, he said it was the most bad ass thing he's ever done. I happen to enjoy the ground though, something about flying around on a huge gas tank with bombs strapped to it going 700 mph just doesnt sit well with me. Glad you grew up with some military in your family, it goes a long way later on in life.

I forget exactly what that recruiter told me but I had it confirmed at the recruiter station here in town and was told similar. Something like 5'8 175lbs medium frame, etc. I coulda lost 25 lbs but not the structure I'd worked 6 years for. Apparently seats are one size and that's it? I always thought it was stupid. My parents were in aviation and both A&P certified, FAA Certified QA inspectors for AA now but military background landed them the jobs. I knew the military background could help me but bring on the ground wasn't as persuading as being a pilot. Too bad UAV drones weren't a thing 21 years ago :(
I could fit on a office chair just fine :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back