Military Thread

Funny you say that, just the other day I was reading up on some articles about what a man has to do to become a fighter pilot. And holy shit, you basically have to be better than the best of the best. Just making into the Air Force as an officer would weed a LOT of people out, but thats just the beginning. Thats not a job, thats a life. And one that very few people have the privilege of living. When my uncle made E7 he got to ride in a fighter jet after his promotion ceremony, he said it was the most bad ass thing he's ever done. I happen to enjoy the ground though, something about flying around on a huge gas tank with bombs strapped to it going 700 mph just doesnt sit well with me. Glad you grew up with some military in your family, it goes a long way later on in life.

I'd love to fly in a jet. F-22? Yes, please, and thank you.

Spent 90 minutes in the back of an F-16 flying around South Korea doing bomb to mud and air to air runs. It was absolutely the most fun I've ever had in my life. The air to air was a trip that just can't be explained without a YeHaw or two.... The air to mud, was almost as fun...

Spent a lot of time in the seat working on systems(frickin forever ago). At the time I was 5'8" and about 185lbs at my heaviest. Still plenty on room, however, There is more to it than just looking out the canopy, most switches you better know where they are and how to move them without looking, OK... done. You need to have enough room to look out the canopy just about 360 degrees..... Height, it comes down to with the seal all the way down, you still need about 4 inches of learance from the top of your helmet. The canopy can and is designed to move that much in the event of a collision with an object (ie bird). Size (opinion) really is a matter of leaving the craft in a hury, ie emergency ejection. You need to get smallHed down, arms in, if not, your leaving bits and parts in the aircraft whether you like it or not.

last but not least, the bigger you are, the harder it is on you at 9g's. 175lb guy weighs 1575 lb, a 200lb guy a staggering 1800lbs. You need to keep the blood in your head and I'm not sure what extended problems would be there with greater size

I'm hungry, got to go to lunch :eating:

I'm sure there is a pilot out there somewhere that has flown combat jets that can lend a hand. I just know that when I got my ride, our configuration only allowed for a 6.7g manuver, damn........ Didn't black out, but my view narrowed ... a lot

Anyway, have fun

Cheers

fknVj

Navy Nuc Submariner (spoken sub mu reen er)

15 years
Separated as a Chief

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364585980.685617.jpg

So are you saying you were in the Hunt for Red October? lol jk but man that pic is badass, just being out in the middle of the ocean somewhere like that is cool

Enlisted in the army at 17. Infantry, 11C, heavy mortars to be specific.
2/16th Infantry Reg. Ft. Riley, KS. 1st I.D.
Desert Shield, Storm, and The Cease Fire. Our platoon fired more heavy mortar rounds than anyone else in theater.
C.I.B., E.I.B.
4 yrs active duty, E-5. Another 6 1/2 yrs in the guard. Got out as an E-6 when Pres. Clinton was sending us all over the world as "pease keepers", A.K.A. Targets.
My brother spent 5 years in the marines as an aircraft mechanic and an embassy guard in Rome and Egypt.
My hats off to all that have served.

US Navy with just a little over 20 years and will do at least another 4.
First 8.5 years enlisted as a PH1 (Photographers mate) and served on the USS Saratoga, USS JFK and NAS Jax.
Went to night school, Clep, classes on the ships and got my degree and went straight to OCS with no break in service.
Almost 2 years in flight school and did a tour flying the H-3. Tour as a flight instructor, Mini Boss on the USS Nassau and I'm almost done transitioning to the H-60S.
I'm currently stationed in Norfolk, Va.

New and old aircraft's.

H60S_zps83e41bcc.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

DSCF0404.jpg

US Navy with just a little over 20 years and will do at least another 4.
First 8.5 years enlisted as a PH1 (Photographers mate) and served on the USS Saratoga, USS JFK and NAS Jax.
Went to night school, Clep, classes on the ships and got my degree and went straight to OCS with no break in service.
Almost 2 years in flight school and did a tour flying the H-3. Tour as a flight instructor, Mini Boss on the USS Nassau and I'm almost done transitioning to the H-60S.
I'm currently stationed in Norfolk, Va.

New and old aircraft's.

H60S_zps83e41bcc.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

DSCF0404.jpg

…THIS…..IS BEYOOOND bad ass!!!! :rock::rock::rock:

I have been in the Army for 8 1/2 yrs. I am a Blackhawk Mechanic and Crewchief. I am Airborne, Air Assault, and EOD Phase 1 Qualified. I have been to Fort Bragg NC, Aviano Italy, Stuttgart Germany, Redstone Arsenal AL, Eglin AFB FL, Seoul South Korea, and now Fort Campbell KY. I was in Iraq 05-06, and will be in Afghanistan starting Jan, for 9-15 months. Units were 57th Medivac (Air Ambulance), G Co. 52nd AVN (Italy), E Co. 52nd AVN (Germany), G Co. 52nd (Germany once Aviano closed), D Co. 4-101 (current)

Small world..six years(02-08) Army with the 82nd as a UH-60 Crewchief/Mechanic. I still work on 60s as a contractor.

I have been in the Army for 8 1/2 yrs. I am a Blackhawk Mechanic and Crewchief. I am Airborne, Air Assault, and EOD Phase 1 Qualified. I have been to Fort Bragg NC, Aviano Italy, Stuttgart Germany, Redstone Arsenal AL, Eglin AFB FL, Seoul South Korea, and now Fort Campbell KY. I was in Iraq 05-06, and will be in Afghanistan starting Jan, for 9-15 months. Units were 57th Medivac (Air Ambulance), G Co. 52nd AVN (Italy), E Co. 52nd AVN (Germany), G Co. 52nd (Germany once Aviano closed), D Co. 4-101 (current)

Hey man I'm at Campbell also, though currently deployed. I think you know/met my buddy Jake. Hit me up man, I'll link up with you when I get back.

Small world..six years(02-08) Army with the 82nd as a UH-60 Crewchief/Mechanic. I still work on 60s as a contractor.

Sweet! I was suppose to be with the 82nd, but was switched to the 57th Med as they were deploying 4 months after I got there.

Hey man I'm at Campbell also, though currently deployed. I think you know/met my buddy Jake. Hit me up man, I'll link up with you when I get back.

I have met Jake, and hang out with him every now and then. In fact we are going to Challengerfest 4 this weekend. Who did you deploy with?

Just retired after 24yrs in the Air Force...last duty assignment was USTRANSCOM at Scott AFB, IL.

yeah man, I'm in the Rakkasans! They're ok I guess. I was in the 160th there at Campbell a few years ago and we hated 3BCT lol. They're not as tough as they think, but they're good dudes, it's just weird being in this brigade having been a unit that disliked this brigade lol

Here are a few more pics. Got to love having flight line access at an air show. All of these were from 2005.

DSC029221.jpg

DSCF0415.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

FlyingLow.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back