Mod regrets?

04RAMSRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Open ended question to all out there. I have been reading alot of threads on here over the past few months and I have noticed a strange theme. It seems like many of you that have started modding your trucks, new throttle body, tuners, exhaust, etc. and then have numerous problems afterwards.

How many of you have regrets on a certain mod, and wished you had not done it, and your truck would run the same it did before you messed with it? If so, what mod was it?

I myself really want to start swapping out parts, but I have had troubles in the past with previous trucks, and always wished I would have left it alone afterwards.

Just curious
Thanks,

i have an 04 with full exhaust BB, intake, TB, short throw shifter, 2/3 drop, EBC rotors/pads , stereo upgraded and no regrets.. Looking to upgrade rear end gear next

No regrets yet, have only been wondering what the difference would be with an SCT from Torrie vs. my B&G Stage2 PCM, but I did score it from another member for $125 with a brand new 170* therm and gaskets so I had to get it........and it does run like a beast!!!!!!!

Mods are in my sig. No regrets, but ever since I did the throttle body my idle doesn't always kick down properly. Followed all the steps TWICE and it still does it on occasion, but the gain was very noticeable. Going to the track soon so hopefully I can confirm that with my #'s!!

Things that I regret, magnablown catback exhaust that developed a hole in the muffler in one year and centric brake pads, they didn't last long. EBC pads & Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers have since replaced my regrets.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I regret not setting aside enough money to get my heads worked. Now I'm debating pulling the top of the engine apart again for a custom grind cam and slow bleed lifters. Still not having funds to get head work done.

So, my advice to you is very carefully plan out what your end goal is and then start modding. Good luck!

+1 to all.

My mods are in my sig.

I feel it is important is to decide what you want to do with your truck and mod from there. My ride is a date truck. If I get it out 3 or 4 time a month, that a lot. The approach was mild performance upgrades and a nice eye catching look, out side and under the hood. Will I ever run a 1/4 mile, maybe someday. Do I even care what my 1/4 mile times are, Nope.

I will make other upgrades along the way but in due time. In ways, it's really more of a hobby for me than anything else, but they are really Bad MoFo trucks.

At the local meets they always get a lot of attention regardless.

Good luck and hope this helps,

B

Last edited:
No regrets from the Trainman, I 've been very lucky that nearly everything I have tried has worked...and I have slowly reduced my ET with each try. I am about to embark on a major undertaking and I hope I don't regret rebuilding the engine.

No regrets from the Trainman, I 've been very lucky that nearly everything I have tried has worked...and I have slowly reduced my ET with each try. I am about to embark on a major undertaking and I hope I don't regret rebuilding the engine.

Same here with the exception of lowering the front end so far, gonna bring it back up a half inch or so. I bought the truck to beat the piss out of it not lock it away in a garage some where.

I regret listening to people that don't race or work on their own trucks...they give the wrong advice 99% of the time..

My only beef is vendors who sell parts that don't fit 06's, yet they say they do.:mad:

I have a few regrets of listening to those who didn't know either yet joined the bandwagon of those saying the product was tits!
I did my own research and found what worked and didn't and have been duplicating or basing other builds off proven parts!
I really regret not having more money for parts :rock:

You newer guys (people with greater member numbers than 10,000) have a great advantage. Whether you are an owner of a heavily pre-modded 10 or a lighter modded rig with room for improvement, much of the trial and error has been done. Then you also have the vast knowledge of folks like Trainman on here who put together a beast and drives it like it was stolen. I’ve been around for quite a while and I’ve seen many mods take place as well as the results. I’ve come to believe that no two 10’s were built alike. The reason for that is because I’ve followed suit with some of the mods and I have to say I have regrets. Perhaps my regrets stem from not doing the work myself. I never want to because I don’t want to be the one to mess something up. Also, I don’t race her so some of the mods I got are probably an overkill. One regret I have is adding 100 shot of NoS. FATJACK runs like 200 shot all day. I believe phxpoolguy also runs some NoS. Both boast zero issues and their engines aren't even forged. I've never activated the NoS since it was installed back a few years ago. To be honest, I don’t want to. I have this really bad feeling that if I do I WILL blow something sky high. I don’t want to spend crazy money on #1900 regarding repairs. When her original T56 took a dump in Florida in 2010 it was HELL trying to get the warranty company to kick in.. WHY? Because they saw the damn ZEX equipment installed and swore up and down that my nitrous was the cause of the tranny breaking. I NEVER USED THE NOS. But, they stood their ground because they didn't want to pay for the tranny. I was really hard finally making them give in. Then after that the new tranny wasn’t installed properly or something. $6,000.00 later and it fine. But if the NoS wasn’t there I could have been saved from many headaches.

I regret getting HIDs back when I did. To this day I can’t find HIDs that are trouble free. I should have stuck with Silverstars when I had them. Now I have digital HIDs and I HATE them. The first HID install was in 2006. Apparently there was problems adding to my ’04. So the install required some hacking and relay additions (so I was told). The second system was the digital HIDs that I got from a vendor here a few years ago. It works like crap (I SHOULD have gotten it from XENON DEPOT). I haven’t driven her after sundown for months. It’s a wonder how I get my inspection done every year. My final regret is opting for a real carbon fiber hood. It’s too light for the stock hood shocks. Often it looks like my hood will fly off when I’m over 70 mph on the freeway. I should have gotten a JTSVP hood.

My regrets are my own damn fault but fixable. It's not like I'll ever get rid of her. I have to say I DO like the way she looks regardless and she drives fantastic. Puts a smile on my face when the gears are dropped and the throttle is opened up. I don’t drive her enough to justify spending more money. I drive here merely for therapy. Perhaps later this year or next I will change everything. I don’t race her… I don’t do the major work on her myself so I don’t expect anyone to follow my advice. To each his own I suppose. It’s been said, just focus on your goals, research the best combination of mods that work for you and make it happen if your finances allow. Despite my rambling and ranting… HAPPY MODDING!!

No regrets on my mods - see garage. Next are the headers and catback system and JTSVP coil and wires. I thought about not doing the headers myself after taking a close look underneath. BUT someone's quote in their sig keeps going through my mind - its something like, "always try to do what you thing is impossible". I know I can do it with enough time; I just got intimidated. I am definitely going to do it myself because of the pride afterwards!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back