My battery EXPLODED!!

ohiosrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:mad:

Recently, I attempted to start up my 2006 SRT-10 Ram in the garage and take it for a short drive. While pushing the start button, the starter clicked and the dash lights flashed. Immediately, there was a LOUD explosion under the hood! It just about gave me a heart attack. I jumped out of my truck and opened the hood only to find smoke pouring from the battery area. I could see that the battery had completely exploded blowing off the top and sides of the battery into many pieces and there was liquid (acid!) everywhere. I didn't see any evidence of a fire so I immediately put a few layers of gloves on my hands and grabbed a few tools so I could to quickly remove the leaking battery. I then pulled out the hose and flushed the entire engine compartment and all affected areas for quite some time hoping to rinse away any of the damaging acid before it could do permanent damage.

There is now a dent in my hood from the battery terminal shooting upwards as well as acid stains on many of the plastic pieces and some other cosmetic problems in the engine compartment. I'm not sure if any of the mechanical components or anything else is also damaged.

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm not sure if I should call Chrysler or my local dealer to discuss and see if they are willing to cover the damage. I do have the "extended" 7 year warranty that I purchased when I bought the truck new. Would it be reasonable to file a complaint (or attempt a lawsuit) since this is the original OEM battery. Is this a situation where I should also notify the NHTSA? Would this be covered under my comprehensive coverage on my car insurance? I hate to file a claim even if that is an option... I haven't had to file for any claims for any reason in many, many years and certainly don't want to pay a deductible.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I am just thankful the hood was closed and there was no one standing nearby. It could have been so much worse!

Thanks in advance!

I don't know bro you are blessed there was no near it I think you insurance company would be more or a help to you

Crazy! Glad to hear you are alright. Please let us know how this turns out.

get a bog box of baking soda and put it in a bucket with water and spray it all over everything asap

Wow thats crazy man.. just recently had to replace my battery (oem) as well it just finally died on me... hope your situation gets better id contact dealer... insurance.... any1 to find out ur options

Glad to know you or no one else was sprayed with the battery acid. make sure to wash everything down with baking soda-water mix.
If you need any paint work my parents own a Mopar bodyshop/restoration shop south west of Cleveland.

Damn thats crazy. Ive never heard of a battery exploding before. Musta been some crazy pressure building up inside of it.

How long do I have until it's too late to use baking soda? Does it have to be done immediately or will it still help after several days have passed? Thanks again for all of the advice.. I'll keep you all posted after I get a chance to make some phone calls after Christmas! Keep the suggestions/opinions coming! :)

bakin soda ASAFP

there was an internal short in the battery. heat/spark ignited the gases & the rest is history.

either your warranty or insurence should cover it.

Sounds like a loose connection and you got a spark when you tried to draw current. Spark mixed with nitrogen from the battery and boom!

Theres a reason you connnect/disconnect a battery in a certain order and in a well ventilated area. Sparks are bad news with most chemistries of batteries...i.e. wet cell as most have in the SRT.

I believe it is Hydrogen that is produced when a battery is charged. Very important to unplug a battery charger from the wall first. Any sparks and BOOM!!!

Do you have a picture of your battery ?

Is it sealed or non sealed. thats a big question, My battery was not OEM when I bought my truck so I don't know.

Use a good AGM battery, no liquid acid or venting gases.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back