My Durango SRT-10 project

nycstev said:
Did they make hemi Dakotas?

No never did. The biggest engine they ever put in them is the 5.9L. A couple of guys have swapped them into their Gen 2 Daks.

Do you have a link to any Dakota Hemi swops? I have a 2001 and was thinking of swopping a hemi.

A little more progress. Finally got the H1 parts in. I will be completing the T-Case rebuild this weekend. Here are a couple of pics showing the differences in sprocket/chain size between the Hummer and Durango.

21988820102_large.jpg

H1 sprockets to the right and its chain is the lower one.

21988820103_large.jpg

Better angle to show the size differences between the chains. Rest of the internals are the same (D lacks oil cooler though).

gtx0227 said:
wow....never in my life would i have thought of that i am really interested to see how this turns out. hope it works out for ya!

and yes im the ONE guy who wants to tub out,build up drop a small block into a pinto, i just cant find one.....

I had a 351 clevland with a C6 in a Pinto. It was just a stock 315HP motor but it ran hard.

Poky good to hear your project is coming along. The size for the gear surface area is huge compared to what you had to start with.

scoobert said:
why the H1? all it has was a 200hp diesel in it.

Go back and read his past posts.............:rock::rock::rock:

He is building a real fire breathing iron V10 for it...............:congrats::congrats::congrats:

scoobert said:
why the H1? all it has was a 200hp diesel in it.

It is not the HP but the TQ I am worried about. The Durango's is rated at 1486ft/lbs in a 5,500lb GVW. The H1 is 2340ft/lbs in a 11,500lb GVW. With the TQ mulitplication of the Converter and Tranny I could easily exceed its rated input capacity with a slightly modified V-10. With the H1's parts other things will break first (hopefully traction):burnout:

Decided to go ahead and upgrade before it left me stranded.

Can finally check one thing off the list. Now I am moving on to the engine side of things. Deck plates and sleeves are next on the list. Have decided on using dry sleeves as it is considerably cheaper to have made and will leave more of the blocks structual integrity. This will still allow for a 4.18" bore though.

Strongly leaning towards doing a short fill of hard-blok as well. Anyone have any experience with it?

pokeytemplar said:
Strongly leaning towards doing a short fill of hard-blok as well. Anyone have any experience with it?

Have never used it on a street motor just race stuff. Filled a small block 383 1/2 way and the motor made more power and the rings held/lasted longer.
I wish I knew more about how it works on an iron 10 cyl. I will ask around and get back if anyone has experience.

FSTJACK said:
Have never used it on a street motor just race stuff. Filled a small block 383 1/2 way and the motor made more power and the rings held/lasted longer.
I wish I knew more about how it works on an iron 10 cyl. I will ask around and get back if anyone has experience.

I appreciate it. With a 5" span between the deck and the bottom of the block I feel a short fill (~1/2 way) would greatly increase the strength of the cylinders (along with the sleeves). The negative that I have heard about was increased oil temps on street builds due to the lack of cooling to the bottom of the cylinder bores. Nothing the dry sump wouldn't take care of. :D

pokeytemplar said:
It is not the HP but the TQ I am worried about. The Durango's is rated at 1486ft/lbs in a 5,500lb GVW. The H1 is 2340ft/lbs in a 11,500lb GVW. With the TQ mulitplication of the Converter and Tranny I could easily exceed its rated input capacity with a slightly modified V-10. With the H1's parts other things will break first (hopefully traction):burnout:

Decided to go ahead and upgrade before it left me stranded.

i can testify to the strength. my suburban has the same xfer case, i have shattered two rear ends without hurting it. are you worried about turning? it is a locked diff, i believe.

scoobert said:
i can testify to the strength. my suburban has the same xfer case, i have shattered two rear ends without hurting it. are you worried about turning? it is a locked diff, i believe.

Turning no, I am not worried at all, it is an open diff in AWD mode. Really the biggest deal can be caused by binding when you have a couple of low tires or the tire height is off by more than a 1/4". Now I feel that I can turn the power up as much as I want (or can afford) without worrying about snapping the chain.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back