My trans is on it's last leg. Opinions?

SANTEEN

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tranny is about to go. Just want some opinions on what the problem may be. I'm just curious. Trans is gonna get rebuilt, no matter what. Here are the symptons:
-With truck running, trans will not properly engage into reverse. Lever will move into reverse and box lights up. Give it a little gas, it will not move. Give it more gas and it tries to move, but acts like the e-brake is fully engaged.
-Also with truck running, it will not roll freely in neutral. If I put it nuetral in my inclined driveway, it will not roll back. If I give it gas, it will move forward, just as if it was in drive.
-All forward gears seem to work fine. Dont feel any slipping and it appears to go through the gears fine.

-Now, if i shut the truck off and put it in neutral, it rolls back just fine.
:dontknow:
-Also when I first took it out this morning, it made a pretty hard shift into second, under normal acceleration.

These are the only symptoms that I have noticed. My initial thought, is a planetary gear issue. But, not really sure.

Not trying to make light of the problem Steve, You know I love you and don't like to see anyone have to spend any more money than neccessary. These GD trucks are too expensive anyway.

Not trying to make light of the problem Steve, You know I love you and don't like to see anyone have to spend any more money than neccessary. These GD trucks are too expensive anyway.

Not a problem Jack. I gotta be able to laugh about it. I knew it was only a matter of time, before the P.O.S. trans took a shit. Just curious what may be the issue with it.

I heard no mention of servicing the trans or if the fluid level was ok,,, How is the band adjustment ,especially the low/reverse band ? Is the kickdown cable adjusted ?

VIPR PWR said:
I heard no mention of servicing the trans or if the fluid level was ok,,, How is the band adjustment ,especially the low/reverse band ? Is the kickdown cable adjusted ?

Lol! Anyone that knows me, knows better. Every 6 months, I adjust both bands, change filter and fluid. And in those 6 months I probably put only 3500 miles on the truck. I know adjusting the bands are key to keeping these trans together. This is not one of those "boohoo my tranny broke" threads. I knew it was only a matter of time, before it went. At 590 whp, that stock tranny was probably getting almost 700hp from the motor. So it wasn't if, but when. I just like to learn. So, I want to know what may have broken. The tranny is getting a full build, with billet parts.

Damn that sucks. Man. My tranny does some weird reverse shit like that too maybe ill try the neutral thing when I get home.

Thats exaclly the same systoms my truck had when i first put the used tranny in that i bought. When i pulled it out and sent it out to be rebuilt my tranny guy said all the clutches were burnt and the clutch disk had gotten so hot they melted together. Simple rebuilt will fix it right up. Probley gonna wanna get a rebuilt torque converter also and make sure you flush all your lines and coolers because its gonna be BLACK and smell like sh!t

Hey bud it's your neutral safety switch. Mine has the same symptoms. If it is dirty or going bad it will cause this. I just ahd mine repalced along with a bad ass rebuild too. The truck was shifting solid and sounded beefy, except my carrier bearing blew out for the 2nd time in 2 years....which will lead to my new thread!!!

My last one which had kevlar bands and new springs valve body ect was $2300 the current one was similar at $2100. I have basic TQ also, upgrade that and you will be looking around $3k

Sweet thanks man that will be my first major upgrade im pretty sure

To be honest with you, don't "upgrade" this crappy trans. If you are anticipating on paying $3k or even a little more...buy a whole new model. The 48RE sucks no 2 ways about it. I have had mine rebuilt 2 times before, this being my 3rd, that I know of. Both times HP shift kits were added, new kevlar bands, spings and levers were changed out, solenoid was changed to GM, valve body was completely reworked and customized, both times ended in failure. I'm sure it will happen again.

you can thro parts at a turd all day long, but throwing the right parts in the correct way and you get a strong oak, we will get ya taken care of santeen, all the ones we have done so far including mine are holding up perfectly, I talked with brian tho, and I think we will start doing our own billet inputs and shaft assemblies soon

you can thro parts at a turd all day long, but throwing the right parts in the correct way and you get a strong oak, we will get ya taken care of santeen, all the ones we have done so far including mine are holding up perfectly, I talked with brian tho, and I think we will start doing our own billet inputs and shaft assemblies soon

This is true and you are the man that can make magic happen:p . All my rebuilds started out and held strong for months and months, then as a daily driver they slowly came apart.

I'm just saying if you got the money to go all out, buy a better base then the 48RE:elefant:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back