Need HELP/ ADVICE!!!

2ndchance said:
thanks, were did u get that notice?
I got it from a line forman at my dealership. I don't know how to post it from my E-mail.

J.R.

2ndchance said:
I am gonna have to do it the hard way and hit different dealers. If they all say the same thing then i will look for a tech who has some experience with these motors. Maybe gary at x-metal or sean at roe can help me out with an answer.

I know something is wrong but i am a dummy when it comes to cars/trucks.

Evil cats are taking out exactly four courts of oil everytime you think everything
is good. see look! there takin' your neighbors rims!

wheels.jpg

Sharpi

Thanks. i needed a good laugh after dealing with the good for nothing dealership...........

I'm sure if it's a real serious problem the stealership wouldn't mind putting
this in your truck instead:

bccat16.jpg

Sharpi

This certainly seems like ALOT of oil to consume. At almost 4 qts lost, it's about half the total volume essentially, in between oil changes. I don't care what the company line is, that just 'taint right!. The oil ring at the top of the piston is supposed to swipe most of the oil back down to the reservoir. Unless you have a giant puddle under your truck or a bad "hot" leak (like the oil lines) Burning that quantity of oil in NY would not pass emmissions test! So, what do we have? Bad rings? out of shape cylinders? I would love to hear more from the rest of the guys. I don't want to be an alarmist but,This could be a serious issue. :dontknow: (could be the cats) I would look at the entire engine bay very slowly and carefully for any evidence oil is present. This may help to pinpoint the trouble.

Last edited:
i took a close look and i didnt find a drop!!! no leak ,no puddle, not anything. I wont be able to get her in the shop till monday. i am out of town anyways and she'll be sitting for a few days. i wish i had more experience with this stuff . i will keep u all posted!!!

If not said already.....

The last time the oil was changed, the tech screwed up and didn't put enough oil in (like they would admit it if they did)

2ndchance said:
i took a close look and i didnt find a drop!!! no leak ,no puddle, not anything. I wont be able to get her in the shop till monday. i am out of town anyways and she'll be sitting for a few days. i wish i had more experience with this stuff . i will keep u all posted!!!
Try doing your own oil consumption test. Make sure your oil is at the right level. drive it for 600mi. then re-check. That is what they did to mine, It was less than a quart so they said it was within standards.

J.R.

P.S. Do you get any black sooty looking stuff on your tail gate, Or the back of the truck?

2nd chance, here is a website I found dedicated to Daimler Chrysler problems. Judge for yourself it may be worth the read. They mention (you have to scroll down) the Viper, and the "Burning lots of oil is ok" memo. Take a look,daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com. Let me know what you think.

includemeout said:
Are you sure the idjuts are not putting in 11 qts. then saying it is low.
it only holds 8.7 total by factory manuel. if thier using the old compuer data base this could happen. just a thought.

That would be my guess. Make sure they have the right number of quarts.

thanks joe. i read that tonight. i dont quite agree with it but i dunno. i think they just sent out that memo to cover thier arss.

I'm within a few miles of hitting 30,000 miles, and mine goes through 2 or 3 quarts between oil changes.

Truthfully I really don't care. I just add a quart when needed and drive it.

Oh, I forget who said it, but the oil ring is on the bottom of the piston, not the top. The top ring is a compression ring.

Didn't want anyone to get confused.

I am with Bucke77 and Silver on this one. It is normal for these engines to consume oil. It is mostly from the crank case pressure which blows the eccess into your intake via the vent.

If you rev it up hard and let it back to idle you will notice a small puff of blue smoke right at the end. Nothing to worry about, you could also get the JMB catch can and monitor how much oil is being blown out of your crank case.
Just a thought!!

I also think what Flyinglow said may very well be true! If you let the dealer change your oil last time they may not have comp[letely filled it??

Fill her up and watch it closely! I think you will find it is consumming oil at a normal rate!!

2ndchance said:
thanks joe. i read that tonight. i dont quite agree with it but i dunno. i think they just sent out that memo to cover thier arss.
I don't think I agree with it either! How could you burn off nearly half the oil in your truck in such a short time?

Silverback said:
I'm within a few miles of hitting 30,000 miles, and mine goes through 2 or 3 quarts between oil changes.

Truthfully I really don't care. I just add a quart when needed and drive it.

Oh, I forget who said it, but the oil ring is on the bottom of the piston, not the top. The top ring is a compression ring.

Didn't want anyone to get confused.
That was me Silverback. Sorry!:eek: How many miles between oil changes do you drive?

mine has never burnt that much oil, id check water, if there'oil in there could be a head gasket.

joemags54 said:
That was me Silverback. Sorry!:eek: How many miles between oil changes do you drive?

3500 between changes.

I guess I should mention something also. The majority of my driving is to and from work. Hell, I never have the time to do much of anything else anylonger.

Anyway, with that type of driving it goes through oil at the rate I mentioned earlier.

Now last Fall when I went to the Bakersfield meet, which was approximately 2100 miles round trip, it did not use any oil, and there were times I was cruising in the 80 to 90 MPH range.

So it seems at least with my truck that if driven long distances, it's fine on oil. However the stop and go traffic of going to work and back uses more.

Anyone else have any observations like this with their's?:confused:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back