Need HELP/ ADVICE!!!

Have you tried pulling a spark plug to check and see what it looks like ?? They can give you a good idea if you're burning it !!!:dontknow:

joemags54 said:
Eddie, how many miles on the rig? and how much oil do you consume?
18k on mine, never has burnt a drop of oil maybe mines different. but its always full, i run 9 qts. when i change the oil.imho 2 or 3 qts of oil between oil changes is excessive, its got to go somewhere, either out the tailpipe for into water system or on the ground, one of the three places.

oil leaks are my pet peave, i dont care if it has 150000 miles on her if its leaking oil i wont rest until ive got it fixed...lol all engines are different, we have a fleet of 70 cat diesel engines, they all burn 1 to 2 gallons when we first get them because they put dello 400 in them from the factory when we do the 1st oil change with sherll rotella they normally quit using oil some will still burn a half gallon every now and them between changes some a gallon, any more than that we get to looking for a problem.

eddie102870 said:
18k on mine, never has burnt a drop of oil maybe mines different. but its always full, i run 9 qts. when i change the oil.imho 2 or 3 qts of oil between oil changes is excessive, its got to go somewhere, either out the tailpipe for into water system or on the ground, one of the three places.
Well thank the Heavens!! Your info here is certainly encouraging!. I hope we have more owners in your shoes than not. I only have 1950 mi on my truck but I religiously check the oil. For me, as well, it is a pet peeve. I would still like to keep this thread alive and have as many people as possible "weigh in" on this topic. We may find some help or guidance for the owners ,who have higher oil consumption, than we all might agree is "normal".

JRSVIPR said:
1- quart for 1000 mi. is normal up to the 50,000 mi. mark, Then it goes to 1- quart every 750 mi.

J.R.

holy hell!!!!!!!! check the gas and fill the oil please.

there would be some major problems if ya burn 1qt in 750mi.:dontknow:

05BLACKVIPER said:
holy hell!!!!!!!! check the gas and fill the oil please.

there would be some major problems if ya burn 1qt in 750mi.:dontknow:
This is within standards for almost all DC vehicles.

J.R.

I know this may be strange, but did you ever consider that someone may be messing with you? If you leave your truck outside and not around for a while, is it possible someone may be draining oil on you when you are not around.

Jealous people out there... You never know wheat someone can or will do.

I have seen people mess with vehicles. Sliding under the truck and draining some oil into a pan then taking off is not that far a stretch for someone with a grudge.

I hope not, but here in NY, people are prick. Present company excluded that is. :)

Oil consumption

Check the PCV return line on the passenger side valve cover. I had one crack at 11,000 miles and it used 7 quarts of oil in 250 miles. It only smoked upon modest throttle in first gear. It didn't smoke in any other gear because it was just burning it like gas! Technicians didn't find it until the engine was torn down and then it was found. I was lucky that I checked my oil when i noticed the guage fluctuation. The oil pressure came up fine once there was sufficient oil at idle. I was well in warranty so I got a total engine rebuild at 11,000 miles. Good Luck, Mark

I talked to a few independent performance places that deal with these engines. What i got from them was the rings on the pistons are garbage. They stated that after about 30,000-50,000 miles the rings become lose or muchie. This allows the synthetic oil to pass thru causing the engine to burn the oil. they recommended going to royal purple or a heavy weight or upgrade.

Dodge sent out those memos to cover thier arss and not do any recalls i would guess.

I did not have any problems until i hit 33,000 miles. I have personally checked my enigne bay, all lines , and underneath the truck. Not a drop of oil.

Dodge told me that if the problem continues they will have to do a deeper investigation as to why it is burning so much oil. They said I would be covered because i brought the problem to thier attention prior to my warranty being up. I will let you all know in about 2,000 miles.

Thanks for all the help and advice. You all are the best.

Jax Ram said:
Check the PCV return line on the passenger side valve cover. I had one crack at 11,000 miles and it used 7 quarts of oil in 250 miles. It only smoked upon modest throttle in first gear. It didn't smoke in any other gear because it was just burning it like gas! Technicians didn't find it until the engine was torn down and then it was found. I was lucky that I checked my oil when i noticed the guage fluctuation. The oil pressure came up fine once there was sufficient oil at idle. I was well in warranty so I got a total engine rebuild at 11,000 miles. Good Luck, Mark

Mark,

Good to here from you bro!! havn't seen you since the big GTG!! Call me, I wanna see the SRT-8!!:rock: :rock:

Marc T said:
I am with Bucke77 and Silver on this one. It is normal for these engines to consume oil. It is mostly from the crank case pressure which blows the eccess into your intake via the vent.

If you rev it up hard and let it back to idle you will notice a small puff of blue smoke right at the end. Nothing to worry about, you could also get the JMB catch can and monitor how much oil is being blown out of your crank case.
Just a thought!!

I also think what Flyinglow said may very well be true! If you let the dealer change your oil last time they may not have comp[letely filled it??

Fill her up and watch it closely! I think you will find it is consumming oil at a normal rate!!

Watch this vid, you can see the little puff of Blue smoke I was reffering too. Just after he revs it!!

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t60/BlackViperRam/?action=view&current=MOV02317.flv

2ndchance said:
I need some advice and help from the experts. Last week i posted a thread about my Psi for the oil gauge dropping to 0 everytime i came to a stop. I took her to the dealer and they told me it was a relay switch that was bad and replaced it. They also did an oil change and told me that she was about 3-4 quarts low. They told me that after 30,000 miles that these engines comsume alot of oil. They told me that this is normal for these engines to comsume at least 1-2 quarts for every thousand miles. They stated that being low on oil also could be causing the problem for the Psi to drop.

My question is what the dealer stating true? After 30,000 mile these trucks eat up that much oil???

Anyone else having this problem??

-OR-

Am I facing a more serious problem and the dealer just doesn't want to fix the real problem. I am no genius but i don't think it is normal for the truck to comsume that much oil with in 2,000-3,000 miles.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

I had my truck bouncing off of the rev limiter when it had 5 miles on it during the test drive. I bought it, and since then I have used Mobil 1 0-40W (changed every 3200 miles).

I now have 32,345 miles on the truck. I does not use any oil between changes even after a long fast highway trip or several passes down the track.

Years ago, the 426 Hemi I had used low tension rings and would use a quart every 1000 to 1200 miles which was considered normal, but that was years ago and the technology in modern engines and lubricants is light years ahead today.

Your engine would have to be very low for the oil pressure to drop (as in sucking air) if it was an actual pressure drop and not a gauge or sender fault.

Here in Canada, dealers aren't paid full shop rates by the manufacturers and some will fight tooth and nail on warranty issues; especially those that take up a lot of their shop time (like an engine overhaul or replacement). I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same deal where you are.

"It is normal for these engines to use oil after 30,000 miles." Maybe that's why the warranty on the Viper engines is only good to 29,999 miles. :D

I think their sales department might be too close to their paint booth.:idea:

Ron

Finally figured out how to get this posted. To late huh?

J.R.
P.S. Pic. # 2 does not represent any of our vendors.:D F#&*ing Keven:rock:

Hey where did it go?

JRSVIPR said:
Here it is he-he. :dontknow:

J.R.

Thanks!!! I printed it up and I am going to have the dealer go through the steps of provided on the form. Thanks again.

2ndchance said:
Thanks!!! I printed it up and I am going to have the dealer go through the steps of provided on the form. Thanks again.
Sorry it was not sooner, It takes me awhile to things worked out. Damn computers. ( Not operator error ):D

J.R.

2ndchance said:
Sorry it was not sooner, It takes me awhile to get things worked out. Damn computers. ( Not operator error ):D

J.R.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back