Need new valve spring and pushrod.. ASAP!!

That's what I have. I thoroughly enjoyed the transmission.. The truck is plenty of fun. It just isn't fast enough or comfortable enough. I have no problems with a mid/high 12 second vehicle if it's comfortable on the street. For it to be this uncomfortable, I either need it to be a work truck, or mid 11's. I don't really want to put the money into this to try to get there.

You see all of the posts, within the last 6-9 months, where guys with 40-50k in upgrades are having a difficult time selling for $25k??!!

I know that cars are not an investment, but I am not gonna sink enough money into this thing to get it where I want it.

LOL I thought your avatar was a quad cab.

Well guess what I found..?

This motor has been apart before with damage to #2 cylinder, somehow. Look at the marks on the bottom of the cylinder head. Looks like something was chewed up pretty nasty. Of course, as referenced above.. None of this was disclosed.
zutupyna.jpg

datesedu.jpg

zazetuje.jpg

Nope, way out of my price range but I did get a set of ceramic coated OE manifolds from a very generous member;):rock::D so I could get rid of one of the last eye sores under the hood(rusty manifolds and heat shields). These will look nice with all new SS hardware along with new tanks from Justin(JMB) to replace the other 2 ugly pieces under there, pics to come when finished with all mods, give me a few weeks.....:drool:

Was gonna say, headers/manifolds is all you need to be about comeplete... Just ordered Justin's tanks aswell. Stoked.

This motor has been apart before with damage to #2 cylinder, somehow. Look at the marks on the bottom of the cylinder head. Looks like something was chewed up pretty nasty. Of course, as referenced above.. None of this was disclosed.
zutupyna.jpg

datesedu.jpg

zazetuje.jpg

Looks like a bolt went through there, is the piston chewed up too?

zutupyna.jpg

datesedu.jpg

zazetuje.jpg

How bad is the piston damaged? Sorry to see this.

Piston is pristine...

Work had been completed some time ago apparently. This isn't why I pulled it apart, this is just some evidence of earlier problems.

Last edited:
Piston is pristine...

Work had been completed some time ago apparently. This isn't why I pulled it apart, this is just some evidence of earlier problems.

Kinda what I'd thought. Piston came apart at rings/ring lands so they chunked a piston in there and left head alone apparently. :(

Kinda what I'd thought. Piston came apart at rings/ring lands so they chunked a piston in there and left head alone apparently. :(

Just another idea that could explain the low miles put on it by previous owner, the hurry he was in to move it, the uncharacteristic lack of power (vs a friends truck). Maybe even the broken valve spring... Whether it was him rebuilding it and selling for a quick profit, or he bought a turd and recognized it too, either way-really wish I would've known!

This really brings new justification to the timebomb statement before, I have no idea of the condition of the rest of the engine/truck now.. No faith... I'm probably just lucky it's made it this far.

Just another idea that could explain the low miles put on it by previous owner, the hurry he was in to move it, the uncharacteristic lack of power (vs a friends truck). Maybe even the broken valve spring... Whether it was him rebuilding it and selling for a quick profit, or he bought a turd and recognized it too, either way-really wish I would've known!

This really brings new justification to the timebomb statement before, I have no idea of the condition of the rest of the engine/truck now.. No faith... I'm probably just lucky it's made it this far.

EDIT-
Issue resloved!!:rock:

Last edited:
I was referring to the fact that the engine had been "repaired" in the past. The pictures don't lie.

Kyle- I don't have a problem with you at all. I genuinely think that you saw a good deal on the truck, from someone who abused it, and bought it. I think part of you also acknowledged that it was down on power. There was something that you didn't like about it. Maybe it was just the general condition of the truck. Either way, the #2 piston turned into a grenade. Someone repaired it, but didn't bother to mill the heads.

What I noticed is that I have, like you, sank time and money into the thing trying to bring it back to a reasonable condition. The engine trouble has challenged my faith in the truck. I had already planned to get rid of it, this just solidified that decision.

Not starting sh!t.. Just stating a fact that the engine had been torn into before, by someone, and that I felt it was a timebomb.

No offense meant to you at all..

I was referring to the fact that the engine had been "repaired" in the past. The pictures don't lie.

Kyle- I don't have a problem with you at all. I genuinely think that you saw a good deal on the truck, from someone who abused it, and bought it. I think part of you also acknowledged that it was down on power. There was something that you didn't like about it. Maybe it was just the general condition of the truck. Either way, the #2 piston turned into a grenade. Someone repaired it, but didn't bother to mill the heads.

What I noticed is that I have, like you, sank time and money into the thing trying to bring it back to a reasonable condition. The engine trouble has challenged my faith in the truck. I had already planned to get rid of it, this just solidified that decision.

Not starting sh!t.. Just stating a fact that the engine had been torn into before, by someone, and that I felt it was a timebomb.

No offense meant to you at all..

I myself didn't know it had been broken into before. I will say that the truck was a demo when the guy I purchased it from got it. Maybe something swept under the rug?:dontknow:

I've blown an engine before I know all about what your dealing with.:( At least yours don't have a golf ball size hole in the block!:D

My apologizes again Jeremy! Hope you get it going again without spending a fortune.

Last edited:
It's going now, I finished putting it together just a couple of hours ago. Running smooth.

As far as cost..

Tony is, beyond a doubt, the best vendor I have ever worked with. I bought a lot of stuff from him while I had the truck. He overnighted an intake valve, two valve springs, two pushrods, exhaust gasket, and head gasket.

He argued when I wanted to pay him for it. I basically had to force a payment upon him. Even then, he would only accept a little amount.

Top notch!! I almost wish I was keeping the truck so I could continue doing business with him.

As of right now though, the truck is no longer mine. I am signing the paperwork on a ZCP, DCT, M3..!

M3, nice choice, you'll be much happier......good luck.

Nice work, Mine was abused before I got it and 2000 miles later I was rebuilding the engine. Just because they clean up well you never know the real story-- I tried to call the guy many times after I bought the truck but no answer. But I made the truck into what I wanted it to be so It all worked out

Nice work, Mine was abused before I got it and 2000 miles later I was rebuilding the engine. Just because they clean up well you never know the real story-- I tried to call the guy many times after I bought the truck but no answer. But I made the truck into what I wanted it to be so It all worked out

Sometimes it's all about motivation to start a project you already intended.. Just a catalyst to get started! Glad it worked out like you wanted..

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back