New best time for Trainman

DevilDawg3097 said:
well yes and no. People forget every little 1/10 helps when your racing so I appauld you for goin left when everyone went right. Now if you want to reduce weight and be the first NA in th 10's which i believe is achieveable,PM me, just have to think out of the box:p Great times man gonna have to get you to run my truck fastest trap was 113 at 12.8:burnout: :burnout: best time was 12.6 @103 so I am pretty sure you driving my truck you can make the fastest s/c unless Prof wants to let you drive his:rock: :rock: Gongrats again

Prof and I are supposed to have a challenge Racketball match if he ever comes to California...maybe I will get some seat time in his truck then:rock:

Trainman said:
Prof and I are supposed to have a challenge Racketball match if he ever comes to California...maybe I will get some seat time in his truck then:rock:
Nice. I need to take a trip back to cali haven't been there since 96 so I am sure everything is different now:dontknow:

Trainman said:
Just got home from Sacramento and I am somewhat pleased and disappointed at the same time.I did set a new record for myself but it could have been much better had the starting line been up to par. I made three runs today to test out the new Ported Intake from Form and Function Performance in conjunction with DC Performance. Thanks guys for all the effort.
Here are my three runs in order. The weather was sunny and about 63 degrees. My first run I tried to get aggresive and leave at 3200 RPM but spun like crazy...plus I missed 3rd gear...anyway here are the numbers: 60'=1.997, 1/4 mile et= 12.985 @ 109.452 mph. I waited about 1 hour to cool down and my second run was the record...still a lousy 60' time.... left the line at about 2500 rpm with some spin then a slight bog,60'=1.951, 1/8 mile ET=7.987, 1/8 mile mph=89.364, 1/4 mile ET= 12.354 @ 113.224 MPH:rock:
I waited about 20 minutes before my last run and the shadows were creeping across the starting line so I was worried about the track cooling . I left the line at about 2800 rpm and spun to a 60' of 1.949, 1/8 mile [email protected] mph, 1/4 mile ET= 12.410 @ 113.051 MPH.
The reason I was disappointed is because if I had had even a decent 1.85
60', just 1/10th better, that would have been two tenths on the other end and I would have had close to a 12.15 ET. I will be talking to John at M&H this next week. My current Drag radials are about 3 seasons old and that may be my problem.....Hmmmm... maybe I'll go for smaller rear brakes and some full slicks on 16" wheels...Yeah, thats the ticket....If I can cut a 1.75 or 1.65 60' then I think an 11 second pass is possible.

Now if wifey were driving (given her light frame and very fast shifting) it would have been at least an 11.99 :rock: :D :D :D :D :p :p ;) :marchmellow:

Trainman said:
Just got home from Sacramento and I am somewhat pleased and disappointed at the same time.I did set a new record for myself but it could have been much better had the starting line been up to par. I made three runs today to test out the new Ported Intake from Form and Function Performance in conjunction with DC Performance. Thanks guys for all the effort.
Here are my three runs in order. The weather was sunny and about 63 degrees. My first run I tried to get aggresive and leave at 3200 RPM but spun like crazy...plus I missed 3rd gear...anyway here are the numbers: 60'=1.997, 1/4 mile et= 12.985 @ 109.452 mph. I waited about 1 hour to cool down and my second run was the record...still a lousy 60' time.... left the line at about 2500 rpm with some spin then a slight bog,60'=1.951, 1/8 mile ET=7.987, 1/8 mile mph=89.364, 1/4 mile ET= 12.354 @ 113.224 MPH:rock:
I waited about 20 minutes before my last run and the shadows were creeping across the starting line so I was worried about the track cooling . I left the line at about 2800 rpm and spun to a 60' of 1.949, 1/8 mile [email protected] mph, 1/4 mile ET= 12.410 @ 113.051 MPH.
The reason I was disappointed is because if I had had even a decent 1.85
60', just 1/10th better, that would have been two tenths on the other end and I would have had close to a 12.15 ET. I will be talking to John at M&H this next week. My current Drag radials are about 3 seasons old and that may be my problem.....Hmmmm... maybe I'll go for smaller rear brakes and some full slicks on 16" wheels...Yeah, thats the ticket....If I can cut a 1.75 or 1.65 60' then I think an 11 second pass is possible.
\

Good Times man!:rock: :rock: and i would be willing to bet your slicks arent helping you very much but then agian it better than street tires.. none the less bad ass times... i soon hope to join the race my motor will be in my hands sometime next week i hope they keep setting the date back on when i get it :mad:

And if the fuel tank was moved to the rear ( ask nana, used a viper tank)then
a good set of long latter bars could be used and the truck would really hook up.:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I thought Ernie ( Ih8chvy) had a 12.03 from Macon gtg ?

oops ! my bad ! I think he is spraying N2O

Last edited:
Trainman said:
Yeah, I think he said he was spraying a 150 shot when he went 12.03 @ 107+ and then he sprayed a 200 shot and went like [email protected] he almost beat my speed!

well that makes me feel alitle better b4 i blew my motor up i was traping around 115mph lol on spray

Every time I get the mod bug under control,I see threads like this and I wanna be competitive .......................and then I read : "before I blew my motor" and I start to backpedal

HOT RAM said:
Every time I get the mod bug under control,I see threads like this and I wanna be competitive .......................and then I read : "before I blew my motor" and I start to backpedal

lol don't be scared!:rock:

So I just got off the phone with Lyle at DC Performance and he was giddy as a school girl over the track results. He stated that he ran through a few calculations from his Motec training back when he was with Edelbrock. Based on the figures from that training he was told that for every MPH increase in the ET (1/4mi), you should get ~12whp. So Trainman's increase from 110.55 to 113.224 (2.674mph difference) should be equal to 32.09 extra ponies at the wheels! :rock: All from the intake manifold work!

I trust Lyle completely when he stated this, as he has been dragging for years competing in several venues and winning at the Gator's National's event. We were in agreement that you just can't recreate a real world environment on the dyno. So that initial ~10whp/15wtq gain on the dyno has proven to be quite a bit more.

I also did check a few websites that had hp calculators on them and this is what I came up with:

From http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html
vehicle weight of 5500lbs, 1/4 mi trap of 110.55 and rear hp is 579.95
vehicle weight of 5500lbs, 1/4 mi trap of 113.224 and rear hp is 623.06

Net gain of 43.11whp

from http://www.dsm.org/tools/calchp.htm
Vehicle weight at 5500lbs, 1/4mi et of 12.496, and 1/4 trap of 110.55 we get:
Using the ET method, I come up with 557 horsepower
Using the Speed method, I come up with 580 horsepower
Vehicle weight at 5500lbs, 1/4mi et of 12.354, and 1/4 trap of 113.224 we get:
Using the ET method, I come up with 577 horsepower
Using the Speed method, I come up with 623 horsepower

gains of et method: 20hp
gains of speed method: 43hp

from http://www.dragtimes.com/horsepower-et-trap-speed-calculator.php
1/4 et of 12.496, trap of 110.55, and weight of 5500 we get 568.53 flywheel hp
1/4 et of 12.354, trap of 113.224, and weight of 5500 we get 599.80 flywheel hp

gain of 31.27hp

Not too shabby!

FFPerformance said:
So I just got off the phone with Lyle at DC Performance and he was giddy as a school girl over the track results. He stated that he ran through a few calculations from his Motec training back when he was with Edelbrock. Based on the figures from that training he was told that for every MPH increase in the ET (1/4mi), you should get ~12whp. So Trainman's increase from 110.55 to 113.224 (2.674mph difference) should be equal to 32.09 extra ponies at the wheels! :rock: All from the intake manifold work!

I trust Lyle completely when he stated this, as he has been dragging for years competing in several venues and winning at the Gator's National's event. We were in agreement that you just can't recreate a real world environment on the dyno. So that initial ~10whp/15wtq gain on the dyno has proven to be quite a bit more.

I also did check a few websites that had hp calculators on them and this is what I came up with:

From http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html
vehicle weight of 5500lbs, 1/4 mi trap of 110.55 and rear hp is 579.95
vehicle weight of 5500lbs, 1/4 mi trap of 113.224 and rear hp is 623.06

Net gain of 43.11whp

from http://www.dsm.org/tools/calchp.htm
Vehicle weight at 5500lbs, 1/4mi et of 12.496, and 1/4 trap of 110.55 we get:
Using the ET method, I come up with 557 horsepower
Using the Speed method, I come up with 580 horsepower
Vehicle weight at 5500lbs, 1/4mi et of 12.354, and 1/4 trap of 113.224 we get:
Using the ET method, I come up with 577 horsepower
Using the Speed method, I come up with 623 horsepower

gains of et method: 20hp
gains of speed method: 43hp

from http://www.dragtimes.com/horsepower-et-trap-speed-calculator.php
1/4 et of 12.496, trap of 110.55, and weight of 5500 we get 568.53 flywheel hp
1/4 et of 12.354, trap of 113.224, and weight of 5500 we get 599.80 flywheel hp

gain of 31.27hp

Not too shabby!

In all fairness the results are from 2 different tracks with different factors to consider including altitude. I say there is def a gain above and beyond the dyno proven gains in the real world but not 30 - 40 rwhp gains. I would also further speculate the difference is between say 15 - 20 RWHP which is excellent in itself. I just don't want people to get the wrong idea about the real amount of gain.

Your work is second to none and I would def recommend the intake. Lets see how Jerry does at the same track with the intake to get a realistic comparison. Famosa will be open in March where we will probably have our 2nd Annual West Coast National GTG. I'd would like to extend you an invite to attend.

SrtBrad said:
In all fairness the results are from 2 different tracks with different factors to consider including altitude. I say there is def a gain above and beyond the dyno proven gains in the real world but not 30 - 40 rwhp gains. I would also further speculate the difference is between say 15 - 20 RWHP which is excellent in itself. I just don't want people to get the wrong idea about the real amount of gain.

Your work is second to none and I would def recommend the intake. Lets see how Jerry does at the same track with the intake to get a realistic comparison. Famosa will be open in March where we will probably have our 2nd Annual West Coast National GTG. I'd would like to extend you an invite to attend.

No offense taken and I appreciate the input. I agree that there will always be factors to take into consideration if even it was at the same track. Baro pressures and weather can create abnormal and inaccurate results too, and I am well aware of this.

I was just asked by Lyle to further reinforce the results as they seem to jive with his calculations.

We will be trying this same work on some more robust platforms, two high horse applications with at least one of them being twin turbo, and one being a GenII version.

Thank you for the invite as well. I would like to attend! I will just have to see where the shop is at then and go from there. Is that a full weekend deal? Is there a link to the details? Thanks again for the support Brad.

FFPerformance said:
No offense taken and I appreciate the input. I agree that there will always be factors to take into consideration if even it was at the same track. Baro pressures and weather can create abnormal and inaccurate results too, and I am well aware of this.

I was just asked by Lyle to further reinforce the results as they seem to jive with his calculations.

We will be trying this same work on some more robust platforms, two high horse applications with at least one of them being twin turbo, and one being a GenII version.
i'm interested in knowing if you've come up with a cost for your intake process yet ?
will you have a swap program so guy's trucks won't be down awp's ?

moparracing said:
i'm interested in knowing if you've come up with a cost for your intake process yet ?
will you have a swap program so guy's trucks won't be down awp's ?

DC Performance and I will be working this out in the coming week or so. I will say that at this point, there are no cores available for swaps, and even if we did get some I would expect that the core fee would be significantly more than the cost of the ported and coated manifold. We have considered this though.

I will be here to talk about the technical side of things should anyone have questions but right now all sales will be funneled through the DC Performance team. :rock:

I also have a spare stock intake.....also on your weight calculations , I take off my bed cover (120 lbs), my tailgate (60 lbs) and I change the front tires from 305-40-22 to a 245-45-20 and save about 30lbs per wheel (60 lbs) . The truck weighs 5000 lbs with 1/4 tank and stock wheels and bedcover. I remove 240 or so then put my 210 body ( I know loose some weight!!) back in and I'm at 5000 lbs race weight....not 5500 lbs.

Trainman said:
I also have a spare stock intake.....also on your weight calculations , I take off my bed cover (120 lbs), my tailgate (60 lbs) and I change the front tires from 305-40-22 to a 245-45-20 and save about 30lbs per wheel (60 lbs) . The truck weighs 5000 lbs with 1/4 tank and stock wheels and bedcover. I remove 240 or so then put my 210 body ( I know loose some weight!!) back in and I'm at 5000 lbs race weight....not 5500 lbs.
yeah i just weighed mine today, with a little over 1/4tank of gas and now spare(other than that everything there) i was 4800lbs, 2740 front axle/2060 rear axle. somy slicks are 62lbs lighter so i'm at4738 plus my 240 is 4978 race weight

ARRESTmeRed04 said:
yeah i just weighed mine today, with a little over 1/4tank of gas and now spare(other than that everything there) i was 4800lbs, 2740 front axle/2060 rear axle. somy slicks are 62lbs lighter so i'm at4738 plus my 240 is 4978 race weight

Time to switch to Bud LIGHT:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back