Nitrous Question?

HISS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum. I am now the peoud owner of a 2004 Silver R/C. I have had the truck about three weeks, and I have added a B&M Shifter, FIPK intake, and Cold Fusion Nitrous. I have not sprayed the truck yet because I'm not sure if it is safe without being able to take timing out. The Kit I have runs off the injector rail, and is adjustable 100 to 300 hp. My question is would a 100 shot be safe with the factory tune colder plugs, and some 109 unleaded race gas? I have a dyno appointment this Sunday, and want to sparay it opn the dyno, while I monitor A/F, but want to be sure the kits hits before I put it on the chassis dyno.

93 Octane will be fine with the 100 shot, take it out and spray the piss out of it, your gonna love it. Personally, I would dyno it with 93 Octane but DO NOT go over 150 shot with stock internals, no matter which fuel. BTW your nitrous system is probably for a V-8, mine is, my 125 shot dynoed 75hp to the rear wheels, they are diluted some when used on a 505 inch V-10.

Last edited:
FATJACK said:
93 Octane will be fine with the 100 shot, take it out and spray the piss out of it, your gonna love it. Personally, I would dyno it with 93 Octane but DO NOT go over 150 shot with stock internals, no matter which fuel. BTW your nitrous system is probably for a V-8, mine is, my 125 shot dynoed 75hp to the rear wheels, they are diluted some when used on a 505 inch V-10.

150 With no tune? Mine is for a Viper, its a dual nozzle kit, very nice and dirt cheap.

Tooloe said:
just dono't nget greedy or you'll become a member of the kablooey club!

Thats why I asked the question, don't have the money for a new shortblock lol.

take fatjacks advise...ive blown up an engine being stupid about it...dyno it to make sure your a/f is in the safe range and then have fun with it....the engines love spray and will be a whole other beast.

HISS said:
Thats why I asked the question, don't have the money for a new shortblock lol.
Then you need to take the Nx off...

BigRed460 said:
Then you need to take the Nx off...

So does this mean running any NX is risky? And you should have a stash just in case? :dontknow:

I've never had the chance to play with the NX. Can you hit it at any speed, gear, or RPM?

I have a NOS window switch on mine that will only let it activate between 3000 and 5500 rpms (adjustable settings) and will only activate at WOT.

FATJACK said:
DITTO!!!!! You dont want it to spray below 2500 rpm. I just use the WOT switch from launch!! I have the window switch but didnt work well for my preference. But sooner than later you will need a bottom end. Spray now and pay later:burnout:And DC left my factory tune alone for when I'm spraynig and got a couple other tunes when not on the bottle.

riley6 said:
So does this mean running any NX is risky? And you should have a stash just in case? :dontknow:

I've never had the chance to play with the NX. Can you hit it at any speed, gear, or RPM?
I am not an expert or anything, I don't have a degree in anything, and I am probly the youngest forum member; but here is my take on it...

Look at all the blown motors we have seen. These motors are designed to make 500hp, if they could safely make 501hp dodge would have done it. It's not hard to see that F/I or Nx severely reduces the amount of time these motors survive. There is no "safe" boost or Nx shot, your playing with probabilities, and every time you up your Hp, you up the chance of a major failure proportionally.

Whats all that mean? If you don't have the money to rebuild your motor, then don't play the game. I have a Nx kit and slicks sitting here, I love Nx and I think it's the answer to getting these 5000lb trucks moving off the line, but I am not going to blow my motor and have to make payment on a truck I can't drive. I have seen people on here paying on a truck that just sits, not to mention the ones that use there trucks as a daily driver that are left w/o a ride.

You can drop in basic parts to forge you motor for 3,000$ (mains, pistons, and rods). Now if you blow up and put a rod through the block(just about every blown motor I have seen has done this) your looking at between 5k and 10k IF you can find a new motor, and that just to get it back to stock!

To me it's obvious, if you don't have money then don't play.

BigRed460 said:
I am not an expert or anything, I don't have a degree in anything, and I am probly the youngest forum member; but here is my take on it...

Look at all the blown motors we have seen. These motors are designed to make 500hp, if they could safely make 501hp dodge would have done it. It's not hard to see that F/I or Nx severely reduces the amount of time these motors survive. There is no "safe" boost or Nx shot, your playing with probabilities, and every time you up your Hp, you up the chance of a major failure proportionally.

Whats all that mean? If you don't have the money to rebuild your motor, then don't play the game. I have a Nx kit and slicks sitting here, I love Nx and I think it's the answer to getting these 5000lb trucks moving off the line, but I am not going to blow my motor and have to make payment on a truck I can't drive. I have seen people on here paying on a truck that just sits, not to mention the ones that use there trucks as a daily driver that are left w/o a ride.

You can drop in basic parts to forge you motor for 3,000$ (mains, pistons, and rods). Now if you blow up and put a rod through the block(just about every blown motor I have seen has done this) your looking at between 5k and 10k IF you can find a new motor, and that just to get it back to stock!

To me it's obvious, if you don't have money then don't play.

Let me rephrase, I am not a noobie to nitrous. I have sprayed several Fox Mustangs with great results, and only one blowed up motor(lost fuel pressure). Basically what I was asking due to my limited experience with the Viper engine was for results from other people who are spraying...to clarify. Wanted to get an idea of what everyone is spraying on a stock bottom end. Oh and it's not a NX kit, its Cold Fusion.

FASTFOOD said:
DITTO!!!!! You dont want it to spray below 2500 rpm. I just use the WOT switch from launch!! I have the window switch but didnt work well for my preference. But sooner than later you will need a bottom end. Spray now and pay later:burnout:And DC left my factory tune alone for when I'm spraynig and got a couple other tunes when not on the bottle.

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated, what shot do you run?

HISS said:
I have sprayed several Fox Mustangs with great results, and only one blowed up motor(lost fuel pressure). Wanted to get an idea of what everyone is spraying on a stock bottom end.

I sprayed my hemi for two years with no problem(a 175 shot), but if you get on the hemi forums most people aren't blowing up. The same can't be said for here... Blown motor club

I had no issues with my nitrous kit on my qc. I ran a zex 175 shot with a stage2. at the track I'd add some race gas to be safe but I used the NOS on the street with 91 quite often.

good luck!

Thanks again guys for your input!! I will post up the dyno numbers on Sunday.

HISS said:
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated, what shot do you run?
125 wet. The pic in my sig is a link to my run with spray

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back