No0b With a Suspension Question???

MacInBlack

Reaction score
Okie Dokie, got a 04 RC with 21xxx miles on her. She has a GroundForce suspension installed front and rear.

I'm very unhappy with the ride quality and handling with this set up. The GroundForce is coming off and will be for sale cheap. At this point I am undecided on either going back to stock or putting a "better" (if there is such an animal) 1/2 drop on her.

She rides on the bump stops like a ricer POS and bump steers and tail wags over every bump and expansion joint. This is totally unacceptable regardless of how kwel the stance looks.

So far, while figuring out what route to go with the suspension, I've put the stock shocks back on the rear and cut the axle bump stop down. The poor thing only had about an inch of clearance. But the "traction bar"/ "overload spring"/ "slapper bar"/ whatever they are called, bump stops are in contact with the spring pack when neutral. Is this correct or does the bump stop need to be cut?

It's hard to believe a "drop kit" sold by major outlets could give ride quality and handling that is s**t like this. I've done a lot of suspension work on a lot of vehicles and have never encountered this extreme an issue.

As I'm new to these hi-per trucks I'm asking for some sound advice. This is not "just" a Ram 1500 suspension. Is there anything else I should be looking for as a temporary fix? A truck like this deserves a great looking stance as well as great handling. :burnout:

you need to grind off the front bump stops and install a short poly set from stinker. The back should have aluminum blocks between the springs and the diff perch. Cut them down to , not more than 2.5 ". That should smooth it out and still look good. Check for wobbly wheels with your mirrors . I had mine to low and both axles wobble the wheels now . Enjoy the truck they are a lifestyle !!!

Go to this web site call him e will tell you what you need on your truck

Home Page

Thanks for the link. I've been to that site a few times and it seems like he has some excellent products. I plan on getting the shifter, oil,ps, brake lines etc. from there.

I'm also trying to get some input/advice from some who may be more into autocross/rally style/road course type performance. I used to run "B" gas BITD but I'm a little too old to be drag racing anymore. I think my reflexes have slowed on me a bit.

you need to grind off the front bump stops and install a short poly set from stinker. The back should have aluminum blocks between the springs and the diff perch. Cut them down to , not more than 2.5 ". That should smooth it out and still look good. Check for wobbly wheels with your mirrors . I had mine to low and both axles wobble the wheels now . Enjoy the truck they are a lifestyle !!!

Thanks for the response. I'll check the front. I haven't given it the once over yet. To start with the majority of the pounding was coming from the rear so that's what got my attention first.

The kit that's on the truck has cast iron 2.5" blocks now. :dontknow: If I decide to go back to stock I'll be removing those completely. I don't think I want to waste any time cutting CI blocks.

Wheels are running straight and true with no weird vibrations on smooth straight roads.

I hear ya on the lifestyle. They're pretty awesome little hot rods. :rock:

A 1/2 drop seems to work out the best on RCs, had 2" drop in rear of mine but didn't like cuz I didn't drop front at same time. Put 1.25 spacer in rear & it leveled truck out, Still going with Tonys 1/2 drop kit with all the bushings, etc when I can swing it.

A 1/2 drop seems to work out the best on RCs, had 2" drop in rear of mine but didn't like cuz I didn't drop front at same time. Put 1.25 spacer in rear & it leveled truck out, Still going with Tonys 1/2 drop kit with all the bushings, etc when I can swing it.
Right on. It looks like the most popular set up from the searches I've done. I contact Tony/Stinker/ aka Da Man and see if his kit does what I want done.

BTW, Slitherbeast I did look at the front finally and you are right on there. The poor thing is sitting on the bump stops. Those are coming off tomorrow AM and I'll put those ES button head stops in her.

Okie Dokie, got a 04 RC with 21xxx miles on her. She has a GroundForce suspension installed front and rear.

I'm very unhappy with the ride quality and handling with this set up. The GroundForce is coming off and will be for sale cheap. At this point I am undecided on either going back to stock or putting a "better" (if there is such an animal) 1/2 drop on her.

She rides on the bump stops like a ricer POS and bump steers and tail wags over every bump and expansion joint. This is totally unacceptable regardless of how kwel the stance looks.

So far, while figuring out what route to go with the suspension, I've put the stock shocks back on the rear and cut the axle bump stop down. The poor thing only had about an inch of clearance. But the "traction bar"/ "overload spring"/ "slapper bar"/ whatever they are called, bump stops are in contact with the spring pack when neutral. Is this correct or does the bump stop need to be cut?

It's hard to believe a "drop kit" sold by major outlets could give ride quality and handling that is s**t like this. I've done a lot of suspension work on a lot of vehicles and have never encountered this extreme an issue.

As I'm new to these hi-per trucks I'm asking for some sound advice. This is not "just" a Ram 1500 suspension. Is there anything else I should be looking for as a temporary fix? A truck like this deserves a great looking stance as well as great handling. :burnout:

most of the kits out there are for a ram 1500 , and not sprung for a SRT10
I suggest first and formost putting all the oem shocks back on, front and rear.

now on the front, we took the SRT springs, set the hieght about an inch lower on one spring and a couple inches on the other, then we increased the spring rate ten percent, one to help with handling , two to help with bottoming

now on the rear, no matter what it will dance like a hooker on saturday night, the springs are extremely stiff, and not very forgiving
if you wnat to soften it some, drop the first overload spring, not the slapper bar but the overload, it takes a ton of the stiffness out, makes it ride ten times better, gets better traction, plus tracs 1000 times better in the curves as it will soak up the bumps instead of slamming over the top of each one.
also replacing the sway bar and the steering rack bushings help immensly, takes out the sway and also tweaks up the steering slop a good bit

honeslty for daily duty the 1/2 kit is alot more friendly than the 2/3, the 2/3 takes it to the limit on suspension

check t he bumpstop on yours, if they didnt replace it , you can cut the oem off, its tack welded in two places, grind them off, then pry it the rest of the way, replace it iwth a couple pancake bumpstops, that alone will help a good bit

got well over 50k miles on my ground force kit. have not had any probs. still has the frim ride like stock.

but do plan on one of Stinkers kits, mostly because of the front springs that are made for our beasts.

if ya want to really help the ride/handlin, go with Stinker's full poly bushins. them are great:rock::rock:

Stinker is also a dealer for the Penske shocks. Stinker got with them & they are supposed to be valved for our trucks.

sounds like to me if one would go with Stinker's lowerin kits, full poly bushins, Penske shocks & Cal-Tracks, would be a great set up.:rock::burnout:

one of the members here does alot of road racin, up in the northwest. can't think of his handle right off. he has flames shootin out of his tail pipes:rock:

Stinker's kit and Caltrac's. The ride is 10 times better than stock.:rock::rock:

1336-img-0121.jpg

most of the kits out there are for a ram 1500 , and not sprung for a SRT10
I suggest first and formost putting all the oem shocks back on, front and rear.

now on the front, we took the SRT springs, set the hieght about an inch lower on one spring and a couple inches on the other, then we increased the spring rate ten percent, one to help with handling , two to help with bottoming

now on the rear, no matter what it will dance like a hooker on saturday night, the springs are extremely stiff, and not very forgiving
if you wnat to soften it some, drop the first overload spring, not the slapper bar but the overload, it takes a ton of the stiffness out, makes it ride ten times better, gets better traction, plus tracs 1000 times better in the curves as it will soak up the bumps instead of slamming over the top of each one.
also replacing the sway bar and the steering rack bushings help immensly, takes out the sway and also tweaks up the steering slop a good bit

honeslty for daily duty the 1/2 kit is alot more friendly than the 2/3, the 2/3 takes it to the limit on suspension

check t he bumpstop on yours, if they didnt replace it , you can cut the oem off, its tack welded in two places, grind them off, then pry it the rest of the way, replace it iwth a couple pancake bumpstops, that alone will help a good bit
Already done on the shocks. I thought those front springs were for more for a 1500 hemi truck. They look too weak for this beast.

Ok, I'll pull the bottom spring off the pack. BTW, does that removal lower the truck any further? Doesn't seem like it would but it don't hurt to ask. I also assume I will have to put some bags on it if I put anything heavier than a pillow in the back.

Gonna replace the front bump stops tomorrow.

Great information man, thanks. Looks like I'll need to go with your kit since I really like the dropped stance. When I do I'll order the kit with all the bushings and make a day of it.

got well over 50k miles on my ground force kit. have not had any probs. still has the frim ride like stock.

but do plan on one of Stinkers kits, mostly because of the front springs that are made for our beasts.

if ya want to really help the ride/handlin, go with Stinker's full poly bushins. them are great:rock::rock:

Stinker is also a dealer for the Penske shocks. Stinker got with them & they are supposed to be valved for our trucks.

sounds like to me if one would go with Stinker's lowerin kits, full poly bushins, Penske shocks & Cal-Tracks, would be a great set up.:rock::burnout:

one of the members here does alot of road racin, up in the northwest. can't think of his handle right off. he has flames shootin out of his tail pipes:rock:
Good to hear you have not endured the problems I'm having.

The Penske's sound interesting. I wonder if they are adjustable......

Yeah the Stinker kit looks like the hot tip.

Sounds good. Quick question, did the Caltrac's stiffen up the ride much? Much, I guess compared to stock unless you put the kit on first and added the Caltrac's later.

I did them at the same time, plus Stinker's poly bushing kit. Caltrac's help with launch.....no wheel hop....:D

Good to hear you have not endured the problems I'm having.

The Penske's sound interesting. I wonder if they are adjustable......

Yeah the Stinker kit looks like the hot tip.

by the Penske web site, yes they are.

have to check with Tony if the ones for the trucks will be

sorry fellas was out most of the day still catching up on everything

the penske is a killer shock most def, but to me to get them to work on our trucks "correctly" is too much $$ , I am checking on the bilstein shocks, they have adjsutables that we can get valved , and if not mistaken for less $$, so will keep y ou posted on that

sorry fellas was out most of the day still catching up on everything

the penske is a killer shock most def, but to me to get them to work on our trucks "correctly" is too much $$ , I am checking on the bilstein shocks, they have adjsutables that we can get valved , and if not mistaken for less $$, so will keep y ou posted on that
I've had Penske's on my bikes and they are pricy. Probably cost a good bit over $2k for a set of five for the SRT-10.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back