Not Having A Good Day

The Dodge Dealer said I broke a piston or rod bearings and needs a short block for $15,000.:thefinger: I said no thanks, I'll have some rebuild my motor.

What did they find? Which tests did they perform?I personally would tear it down myself to confirm. Good luck

Probably spun a rod bearing! don't run it anymore ! tear the engine out. Get it assessed by a good shop. If you are staying N/A , you could just repair the bad rod. Keep in mind , the tearout ,disassembly and reinstall you are gonna pay for already so , to put in some better parts now is a great idea. but there are alot of costs the bigger you go that you will never recover. I prefer to keep the RPM under 6000 on a stock rotating assembly. THe rods are alittle light in my opinion. the rod cap is weak and probably distorts more than you think at those rpms. ......just my 2 cents

I have a good mechanic to tear the motor down for me in two weeks and will let you what we find.

On a forge rebuild with cam, who do most of you guys use for parts? I have to look for a good deal. Like some of us.:D

Roe Racing has kits. JMB Performance can get you anything you need as well as Tony from JTS Venom Performance. These guys specialize . they can lead you to the right parts the first time!!

And yes, it's full of clean Mobil One and fresh 91 fuel and I always warm it up good. I went thru the gears and I shift at about 6000 and I think the piston just let go. Like they say " That **** Happens "

Thanks Guy's for all your support.

Was this a daily driver or did it sit a week at a time?

Thanks for the updates....

Ok. My understanding with any wet sump engine is after 4 days (Aviation Standard), turning over the engine and starting is concidered a "Dry Start". All the oil has drianed back into the pan with very little if any film or "cling" on the bearing surfaces. Have you ever checked the oil on the stick after a week?? On mine it appears overfilled! In contrast, checking it 20 minutes after a normal drive shows right on the money!

These starts over time can prematurely damage the rod, main and cam bearings.

Some oils provide a better oil film after drainback than others. I prefer Mobil 1.

I also have the proverbial "Garage Queen" and run it once a week or so. My practice is to unplug the fuel pump relay prior to turning on the key, then turning the engine over untill the oil pressure needle moves up a tick (12-15 sec.). Then re-install the relay and fire.

Please keep us posted. Your issue and findings will be informative.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back