OIL CAP LEAKING, WTF!!!!

What is a good sign is that you have enough oil pressure that it is making it to the cap.

I went to go an order one of those breather caps, thought the price was good.. but when I saw it weight 1 pound.. but they wanted $21.00 to ship it GROUND!! I freaked out... I own a business and I know what it costs to ship 1lb ground.. about $6.37 to go from Florida to Arizona, insured... I sometimes add some for shipping materials...but if its small package its built into the selling cost of the item.

I just though that $21 for ground was way out of base....

take the oil catch can off. so far I have never seen anyone on this forum use that device properly. you no longer have a vacuum in your crank case, so things are going to leak now.

by the way, I drove all the way home from valencia dodge after an oil change and when I got home there was NO oil cap! they forgot to put i back on. but alas, not a single leak.

AWDisuzu said:
by the way, I drove all the way home from valencia dodge after an oil change and when I got home there was NO oil cap! they forgot to put i back on. but alas, not a single leak.

Well.. you had plenty of ventilation..:D

seriously! and they put a new one on when I brought it back, but it's a regular hemi oil cap instead of the viper oil cap. :-(

AWDisuzu said:
seriously! and they put a new one on when I brought it back, but it's a regular hemi oil cap instead of the viper oil cap. :-(

Them bassss-turds... I would have beeched.. about the hemi cap... said soemthing like "does this look like a hemi to you....??":D lol.

sleeper said:
Those tools must be all rusty and dusty then.:D

I was thinking that my rusty old crescent wrench should be replaced one of these days...but I'm saving for a lift. Have no problem getting under the truck but getting up afterwards is problematic!

AWDisuzu said:
take the oil catch can off. so far I have never seen anyone on this forum use that device properly. you no longer have a vacuum in your crank case, so things are going to leak now.

How would you use the catch can properly? Is justin selling a product that
will actually hurt our trucks?So do you think my cap might still leak after I put a new one on?VERY INTERESTING info my brother!:rock:

azpyroguy said:
I went to go an order one of those breather caps, thought the price was good.. but when I saw it weight 1 pound.. but they wanted $21.00 to ship it GROUND!! I freaked out... I own a business and I know what it costs to ship 1lb ground.. about $6.37 to go from Florida to Arizona, insured... I sometimes add some for shipping materials...but if its small package its built into the selling cost of the item.

I just though that $21 for ground was way out of base....

20 and change to get to my house.I live in the same state!!!
A little bling would be nice but way too much shipping $$$$:confused:

The JMB Justin Catch can is a breather and a catch can.

There is not supposed to be a vacuum on the crankcase with this system.

This keeps the tremendous amount of oil vapor and moisture out of the intake mahifold and engine.

Anyone that has removed the throttle body on a Gen3 engine has seen a puddle of oil on the bottom inside lip of the manifold behind the throttle body. Some of this oil goes into the engine causing deposits and also causing detonation. The moisture that is ingested into the intake also contains acids (this is a normal byproduct of the combustion process). The residue from the moisture causes corrosion in the engine.

Venting off the oil mist and water vapor is the best thing for the health and longevity of the engine.

Your oil will stay cleaner longer with a breather/catch can system.
The government has recently mandated a reduction in the quantity of detergents in motor oil. This means that the oil does not have the capacity to hold and neutralize acids and hold contaminates in suspension.

FSTJACK said:
The JMB Justin Catch can is a breather and a catch can.

There is not supposed to be a vacuum on the crankcase with this system.

This keeps the tremendous amount of oil vapor and moisture out of the intake mahifold and engine.

Anyone that has removed the throttle body on a Gen3 engine has seen a puddle of oil on the bottom inside lip of the manifold behind the throttle body. Some of this oil goes into the engine causing deposits and also causing detonation. The moisture that is ingested into the intake also contains acids (this is a normal byproduct of the combustion process). The residue from the moisture causes corrosion in the engine.

Venting off the oil mist and water vapor is the best thing for the health and longevity of the engine.

Your oil will stay cleaner longer with a breather/catch can system.
The government has recently mandated a reduction in the quantity of detergents in motor oil. This means that the oil does not have the capacity to hold and neutralize acids and hold contaminates in suspension.

Thanks for clearing that potential mess up.I believe there was another guy on this site that was bad mouthing the catch cans.I do hear what you are saying and will be leaving mine in.Thanks:rock:

wont grow old said:
Thanks for clearing that potential mess up.I believe there was another guy on this site that was bad mouthing the catch cans.I do hear what you are saying and will be leaving mine in.Thanks:rock:

Me Too!!!:rock:

the catch can's work if they are hooked up correctly. they catch the oil vapor and trap it before it makes it's way back into the intake manifold.

hooking up a catch can as a breather will not hurt, but it will not do anything useful either. you might was well run a long heater hose from the breather to the back of your engine bay to vent. you also will no longer have your crankcase vacuum anymore. crankcase vacuum is needed for a number of reasons.

also, if you're finding oil in your intake, you have a blowby problem that should be addressed and not "bandaided" by removing the crankcase vacuum (pcv) system or installing a catch can incorrectly.

if you have water in your catch can, it's probably sucking it in from the outside. there is no way water can enter your catch can via the engine.

you really don't want unfiltered outside air going into your engine.

I'm not bad-mouthing catch cans, as I use one as well - but it's hooked up correctly. Why do you guys insist on hooking them up incorrectly?

Prof said:
Mental note for Won't Grow Old: Change your own oil, change your own transmission fluid, torque your own lug nuts, wash your truck yourself, cherish the time caressing your lovely beast...

WORDS TO LIVE BY!!!!! :D :rock:

Lesson LEARNED. ;) :eek: :p

on a n/a engine, run one hose from the catch can to the breather. run the 2nd hose from the catch can to the intake manifold vacuum. make sure there is a check valve in there as well.

on a boosted motor, run the 2nd hose from the catch can to the low pressure side of the supercharger or turbo, between the air filter and the supercharger. this area will produce vacuum when under WOT acceleration.

hope this helps! the catch can will catch the oil vapors and you won't get any oil in the intake anymore. oil vapor is produced and is normal due to high oil temperature.

Black1 said:
This is a GOOD question...... :dontknow:

AWDisuzu said:
on a n/a engine, run one hose from the catch can to the breather. run the 2nd hose from the catch can to the intake manifold vacuum. make sure there is a check valve in there as well.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose, tho? :dontknow: :confused: I'm still cornfused. :eek: (Please excuse my ignorance...) But, running the 2nd hose to the intake will allow gases (mixed with oil) BACK INTO the combustion process, will it not? :dontknow: :eek:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back