Oil - Which one to use - And Oil Pressure

Ramchargerguy said:
I bought he 5w50 to try cause it was on sale, but when I had bought the truck 2 years ago I did alot of research mostly in the viper car sites because that's the only spot I could find the info, they said that the mobil 5w40 diesel has additives that the gasoline engine oils don't have plus the extra antiwear additives also. I buy whichever is on sale at the time I'm going to do an oilchange I usually do only 1 a year cause I don't drive it much.

Diesel oils have a high detergent content. Here again is some reading on detergent vs. zinc.

http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/trainingcenter/learn/zincvsdetergent.html

yellowfever#154 said:
Hey I was listening. Thats why I added that there is 2 different types of ZDDP.

I know you were. Thanks for posting those articles!

So what is the optimim pressure for the 10's?????
Isn't more volume better than more or high pressure????
I was under the impression that to much pressure is a bad thing...

Does the type of oil really change oip pressure that much????

VIPR PWR said:
So what is the optimim pressure for the 10's?????
Isn't more volume better than more or high pressure????
I was under the impression that to much pressure is a bad thing...

Does the type of oil really change oip pressure that much????

That was the direction I was trying to take the thread on page two... I'm running 30-40 psi at idle and more like 60 while driving... But my question is

What should our pressure be at, and does the amount of oil you have in your pan affect that?

Also VIPR PWR brings up a good point. In regards to pressure, do you want high pressure? or low pressure? What does this translate to? or is it as simple as, hey you're pumping oil to the engine and thats all that matters, power is not affected?:confused:

Found this searching for answers to which is better...High VOLUME or High PRESSURE??????

A high VOLUME pump should NOT have any more pressure than the stock pump. The relief valve will keep it there.

If the bearings are tight you will not notice the difference. If the bearings are worn as on a high mile car you will notice that the presure will be higher than it was with the tired stock pump. If you have excess bearing clearence a stock pump will not be able to hold the normal oil pressure.

100 lbs of pressure sounds like the relief valve was stuck. On a high performance engine bearings are set looser. The high PRESSURE pump will still keep a higher pressure that a stock pump. IMHO a high pressure pump is not needed on a street car. A high volume pump is cheap insurance.

some more info....http://www.moparchat.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-56856.html

Last edited:
My pump is a high flow pump and it also raised my pressure. My goal was to lower my engine temps. When I pulled my motor with 12k miles on it, it showed signs of high heat. Contact Arrow Racing Engines. Thats where I got my oil pump. You do have to change out the whole front cover.

RedSrt007 said:
15w50 and tune rich...thats the secret to these motors

That's what I use and have since almost new.

Yes you might loose a little (not enough to probably measure) fuel mileage but will more than make up for it in increased engine life.

I've read in posts that running Joe Gibbs oil, or any oil with high zinc content, with cats will plug them up. How quickly will this happen?

Are you really going to run that in your motor? I'd say your wasting your money. You should just run mobil1 as long as your not throwin your ride on the back of a rig as a weekend track day warrior... Your not going to improve these motors because you changed the oil to "racing oil".

Didn't say I was going to run it, Just asked a question.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back