oiling issues thread

IMO, #3 is due to intake manifold design. Improving oiling should be on your list of mods if you are adding significant HP by any means.

Of course its usually addressed last...like improving the brakes on your old hot rod....After those drums fail at 120mph, you realize..hmm, guess I should have improved them like everything else.

For every action there is an an equal and opposite reaction. More heat, stress, force requires improved oiling/cooling.

Although, what do I know ? I am just a driveway mechanic who always has to do things twice so he knows how to do it right...lol ;)

mmmmtorque said:
Although, what do I know ? I am just a driveway mechanic who always has to do things twice so he knows how to do it right...lol ;)

you underrate youself, actually you are one of the smartest people i have ever met:rock:

mmmmtorque said:
IMO, #3 is due to intake manifold design. Improving oiling should be on your list of mods if you are adding significant HP by any means.

Of course its usually addressed last...like improving the brakes on your old hot rod....After those drums fail at 120mph, you realize..hmm, guess I should have improved them like everything else.

For every action there is an an equal and opposite reaction. More heat, stress, force requires improved oiling/cooling.

Ok that being said ,,do you try to restrict some air flow going into the #3 port ,,like possible a costom made ristrictor plate that would make the #3 run a tad richer ,,,or even go with a wee bit larger injector for that piston to increase fuel ??????????i wish this thread was going before i gasket matched my intake i would have opened up all of them except for #3:mad:

Ironhead said:
Ok that being said ,,do you try to restrict some air flow going into the #3 port ,,like possible a costom made ristrictor plate that would make the #3 run a tad richer ,,,or even go with a wee bit larger injector for that piston to increase fuel ??????????i wish this thread was going before i gasket matched my intake i would have opened up all of them except for #3:mad:

You would have to design it on a flow bench, air has a mind of its own ;) Just ask any blonde :D

It would be easier to go with a Hogan manifold or retro fit a Gen II. I would guess 90% of the folks on here shouldnt have to even worry about #3 running lean. The rest can compensate with A/F, octane and timing. I believe you could also use a VEC3 to run #3 a little richer but dont remember if the software supports it (been forever since I last tuned my truck)...but it could ;)

Stinker said:
you underrate youself, actually you are one of the smartest people i have ever met:rock:

Thanks Stinker, but thats because you were drunk when you met me :D ......we can solve all the worlds problems after a couple of beers...problem is, nobody ever brings a pen :dontknow: :p :beer:

Last edited:
mmmmtorque said:
Thanks Stinker, but thats because you were drunk when you met me :D ......we can solve all the worlds problems after a couple of beers...problem is, nobody every brings a pen :dontknow: :p :beer:
:marchmellow: :p :D :D

mmmmtorque said:
You would have to design it on a flow bench, air has a mind of its own ;) Just ask any blonde :D

It would be easier to go with a Hogan manifold or retro fit a Gen II. I would guess 90% of the folks on here shouldnt have to even worry about #3 running lean. The rest can compensate with A/F, octane and timing. I believe you could also use a VEC3 to run #3 a little richer but dont remember if the software supports it (been forever since I last tuned my truck)...but it could ;)
Yes VEC can tune each injector independantly. It is done by reading the plug after each run. Only a very good tuner should be trying it though.

GADodgetech said:
If #3 was getting starved for oil wouldnt it just seize up in the block and not put a window in it?

Usually when the bearing seizes it locks the rod to the crank (or hopefully just spins the bearing shell). Then you've got 9 more cylinders trying to keep the crank spinning, in addition to the kinetic energy of the crankshaft itself. This results in the connecting rod snapping like a twig.

Sometimes it breaks near the wrist pin and knocks a hole in the cylinder, other times it breaks at the big end, and chops the beam up as the remaining rod/piston slides down the bore and the crank/big end slices it like a food processor, sending chunks flying.

If the big end is discolored and the bearing is hammered, this is the most likely cause.

If the big end isn't discolored, and the bearing isn't obviously seized, then the next most likely cause is either detonation compressing the top land, causing it to squeeze the ring, overheating it and seizing it in the bore (same outcome as above).

Though it can also be caused by the piston itself expanding to the point that the skirt seizes in the bore, or overheating the rings, causing the ends to butt.

Po-Lock said:
Usually when the bearing seizes it locks the rod to the crank (or hopefully just spins the bearing shell). Then you've got 9 more cylinders trying to keep the crank spinning, in addition to the kinetic energy of the crankshaft itself. This results in the connecting rod snapping like a twig.

Sometimes it breaks near the wrist pin and knocks a hole in the cylinder, other times it breaks at the big end, and chops the beam up as the remaining rod/piston slides down the bore and the crank/big end slices it like a food processor, sending chunks flying.

If the big end is discolored and the bearing is hammered, this is the most likely cause.

If the big end isn't discolored, and the bearing isn't obviously seized, then the next most likely cause is either detonation compressing the top land, causing it to squeeze the ring, overheating it and seizing it in the bore (same outcome as above).

Though it can also be caused by the piston itself expanding to the point that the skirt seizes in the bore, or overheating the rings, causing the ends to butt.
very interesting welcome and what do you do

Po-Lock said:

What dom says? welcome,,,,,,,asylum

after tearin my motor down I dont believe it is a oiling issue i believe it a fuel problem. Lack there off, my pistons where good but evidance of running lean, and I know sean tuned mine a little rich since at the time I was stock. so in my Honest opinion the windows where caused by running lean, just a theory but well see.;)

So Matt...do you think we need to look closely at the fuel pump and fuel rails/injectors more closely?

I'm very close to the maximum on my fuel pump...and it just seems logical to go to a more powerful fuel pump, larger injectors (running 54's now) and maybe Stinkers fuel rails...

What do you think about the stock system...do we need to really flow the system to determine what the limits are...??

Prof said:
So Matt...do you think we need to look closely at the fuel pump and fuel rails/injectors more closely?

I'm very close to the maximum on my fuel pump...and it just seems logical to go to a more powerful fuel pump, larger injectors (running 54's now) and maybe Stinkers fuel rails...

What do you think about the stock system...do we need to really flow the system to determine what the limits are...??
your injectors should be fine it is more the problem in the fuel pump, I dont think it is capable of what there are rating it. I am working on one now, I am like you and am going with a large inline if all works out I will post more, about 2 more weeks( kinda glad its still cold) also to small of a fuel supply line only 3/8 needs to be larger. Shit brain fart:(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back