Opinions wanted about Handling

Trainman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've talked to a few people about the trouble I have been having with my SRT-10 on the high end.

Here are some of the ideas:
1. U-bolts holding the axle to the spring could be stretched.
2. Bushings on the leaf spring ends could be worn.
3. Replace rubber bushings with Aluminum ones.
4. Install a panhard bar on the differential to prevent side-to-side movement.

Any thoughts or other ideas?
Thanks in advance guys.....this handling problem really has me baffled.

I wonder what u might see if you pull the diff cover. We had a truck we were putting a true track in and found alote of metal shavings in there. The axel was ready to come out

Really need more info of when its unstable. Is it still unstable with the 22's or just your drag slicks? Just re torque the u bolts but I doubt they stretched since they are factory. Could also check the alignment. Were there ANY changes at all between it being stable vs unstable?

If there is nothing wrong with your differential, I would look at replacing your leaf spring bushings with some energy suspension poly ones and maybe replacing the shocks.

Really need more info of when its unstable. Is it still unstable with the 22's or just your drag slicks? Just re torque the u bolts but I doubt they stretched since they are factory. Could also check the alignment. Were there ANY changes at all between it being stable vs unstable?

This. We need to exactly what it's doing, and when.

I wonder what u might see if you pull the diff cover. We had a truck we were putting a true track in and found alote of metal shavings in there. The axel was ready to come out

Differential was just rebuilt, the positraction clutches were shot and ruined the carrier. Replaced the carrier, clutches, re-used the chryoed spider gears and ring and pinion.

I've talked about this before, problems with handling at the top of 3rd gear going into 4th, feels like the rear of the truck wants to come around on the right side...under power. I've been noticing it slightly in street trim (street tires) when accelerating at say 3/4 throttle going from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th. Just a real uneasy wiggle in the tail of the truck....has been getting more noticeable the last couple of times to the strip. Driving out to the last Test and Tune this weekend, just before getting to the strip I accelerated briskly 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th and got enough tail wiggle to make me real uneasy about the truck, so I decided no racing until I figure out the problem. One Drag Racer I talked with (who has a 9 sec. Nova) said he had similar issues with his leaf spring suspension and went to the Aluminum bushings and solved the problem. I have an appointment on Monday at 10am with a guy that has some very fast cars and a Chevy Luv truck that runs 9.40's at over 144 mph and he is going to take a look at the bushings and u-bolts on the Diff. I'll keep everyone posted and I appreciate the help. Thanks guys.

Your front leaf spring bushings should've already been replaced with aluminum bushings when you did the cal tracs. Sounds like the rear end isnt straight to me

I thought it was leaf spring bushings but it seems like its a preload issue of some sorts
Very well could be in your front end to when a tie rod is shot it seems like it's the rear end moving around

Dom
Undefeated on the Internet

I'm adding "check front tie rods" to the list.

When I had my lifted truck i had all kinds of speed wobble issues. I start at the rear because thats where it felt, rebalanced tires (40x15x15's) thinking that was it, then to shocks, then to drive shaft, then to front stablizer, then I had enough and took it in. Come to find out my front A arm was about to fall off, the bolts were finger tight? I had never messed with the front suspension? Just a thought.

Had a problem like this when I used cheap aluminum lowering blocks on my truck. The center holes started to wear out and caused the blocks to slide around.

I thought it was leaf spring bushings but it seems like its a preload issue of some sorts
:rock::rock:Very well could be in your front end to when a tie rod is shot it seems like it's the rear end moving around :rock::rock:

Dom
Undefeated on the Internet

i agree with Domski.:rock::rock:

broke the r.h. leaf spring a couple of weeks back. felt like something in the front let loose

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!
Found that the U-bolts holding the axle to the leaf springs WERE loose. All 8 of the nuts had less than 20 ftlbs of torque. Factory calls for 110 ftlbs. You could see on the right side where the plate was moving front to back about 1/4" (the washer under the nut was leaving a shiny spot). We torqued everything down to 120 ftlbs, truck feels much better,,,, but I will take it to have the front to back alignment checked....after getting Venomous traction bars installed.

Might help if you change all the factory bushings to polyurethane. It made a big difference in mine.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!
Found that the U-bolts holding the axle to the leaf springs WERE loose. All 8 of the nuts had less than 20 ftlbs of torque. Factory calls for 110 ftlbs. You could see on the right side where the plate was moving front to back about 1/4" (the washer under the nut was leaving a shiny spot). We torqued everything down to 120 ftlbs, truck feels much better,,,, but I will take it to have the front to back alignment checked....after getting Venomous traction bars installed.

SWEET! Glad you figured it out. New time slips coming up! Have you put it on the dyno?

That's great news! :D

Update.........

Problem not solved. Same issue still exists. Wonder what the issue is? Here are the pics of the U bolts:

IMG_2775_zps3745d63d.jpg

IMG_2776_zps613b68a9.jpg

IMG_2777_zps97c7d5bf.jpg

IMG_2778_zps4b63a085.jpg

Need some opinions.

Update.........

Problem not solved. Same issue still exists. Wonder what the issue is?

Need some opinions.

Have the other "possible issues" previously posted in this thread been checked? A list of what you guys have checked could help us narrow it down.

Have the other "possible issues" previously posted in this thread been checked? A list of what you guys have checked could help us narrow it down.

We'll have to let Jerry chime in on this. Till then here is a couple of videos that you can see the issue:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJOdoUwnU-U[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXBHaIO7Uf4]Stock Block 11 Second NA Ram Srt10 - YouTube[/ame]

This video is from yesterday:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxqwuClLvJg[/ame]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back