Our daughter is graduating with a GPA of 3.5

eddie102870 said:
i agree totally,dont try to direct them or push them, most 17 and 18 yr olds these days have no idea what they want to do. or you can do what i have done. we own a trucking company and last summer and this summer my 17 yr old boy has been in the tire room breaking down and mounting up tires in 90 degree heat for semi trucks.we run 70 trucks and 85 trailers so its a lot of tires. i just told him if he didnt want to go to college id save him a spot in the tire room. i think he already has a bag packed for when he graduates...lol she will find her way just be there for her and let her know it.

Not what I would want to do for a living.

Silverback said:
You probably cannot change her mind, nor should you try, as that may possibly lead to annimosity.

Lot's of young men and women, right out of high school have this idea of what there life is going to be like. After about a year, reality sets in and they most often change there goals.

Let Anna go her way. Guide, but do not direct.

This is that time of life where the prior 18 years of parenting will pay off.

Thanx I think your right don't try to change the mind of a teenager but be there for them. I we will support her in anything she wants to do but her having the major as Beauty School is not my first choice for her.

Prof said:
While I agree with John and Denise I would add one thing:

In my opinion this is such a huge decision that you as parents need to have a formal meeting with your daughter (maybe a very nice dinner out) for the specific announced purpose of talking about the future. You two need to do your home work. Come prepared with all of the data that supports the importance of a college education. (Cheat, call your daughters adviser at the high school, they will be able to give you a package.)

Open the "meeting" with your stated support for your daughters decision no matter what that decision is, but that you do want to objectively discuss as adults, the strengths and weaknesses of various approaches to the future.

You should not raise the negatives of anything she wants to do. You should state the positives of a college education, and your willingness to help her get where ever she wants to go.

In my experience with students, often there are hidden agendas that the parents may not know about. i.e. she may not feel that you or she can afford college or there may be a special relationship that is influencing the desire to go to beauty school, or any of a hundred other reasons that are short term in their perspective.

In the end you should support her decision. Just make sure the decision making process has been one that focuses on the important long term issues not "urgent" short term ones. I would also espouse that you two understand that all plans need to be flexible and if she decides in a week or a month or a year to change her direction, that you will be there to assist in whatever the new direction happens to be.

I think alll the ideas you all have thrown out there gang is great . The idea going out to dinner with her and having an adult meeting with Anna is a great idea. Thank you for this. Anna is a bright young lady and can do anything she puts her mind to. SHe is good with the computer and riht now the computer thing I think is the best and she will make money with this.

eddie102870 said:
i agree totally,dont try to direct them or push them, most 17 and 18 yr olds these days have no idea what they want to do. or you can do what i have done. we own a trucking company and last summer and this summer my 17 yr old boy has been in the tire room breaking down and mounting up tires in 90 degree heat for semi trucks.we run 70 trucks and 85 trailers so its a lot of tires. i just told him if he didnt want to go to college id save him a spot in the tire room. i think he already has a bag packed for when he graduates...lol she will find her way just be there for her and let her know it.

I have to say Eddie you know what you are doing getting your son into college I like it lol Way to go :rock:

Now a days college is very exspensive but that is ok being it is for education and it will be worth it for her in the long run and hopefully she will be successful in whatever she decides to do. As you know going to beauty school and getting a job in this feild you have to know someone to get your foot in the door to make the big bucks .

Thank you all for the help it helpfull

SrtBradsBoss said:
Now a days college is very exspensive but that is ok being it is for education and it will be worth it for her in the long run and hopefully she will be successful in whatever she decides to do. As you know going to beauty school and getting a job in this feild you have to know someone to get your foot in the door to make the big bucks .

Thank you all for the help it helpfull

College can be very inexpensive especially for someone with the grades your daughter has.

Most states have wonderful programs will cover most of the expenses as long as she maintains decent grades (would be no problem for her). Take her to a local state college or university just to talk to a financial assistance person. In Florida where I taught most of my life, students with a "B" average in High School were provided with "Bright Futures Scholarships"...they covered about 85 percent of the schooling expense...student just had to maintain the "B" average.

Roy

Prof said:
College can be very inexpensive especially for someone with the grades your daughter has.

Most states have wonderful programs will cover most of the expenses as long as she maintains decent grades (would be no problem for her). Take her to a local state college or university just to talk to a financial assistance person. In Florida where I taught most of my life, students with a "B" average in High School were provided with "Bright Futures Scholarships"...they covered about 85 percent of the schooling expense...student just had to maintain the "B" average.

Roy

I will check into that. I know Anna wants to do Photography as well and want to go to this JR College they might have something like this for her. Thank You Prof

ive got a cousin that owns her own salon and she works like 4 days a week and does very well with it. i dont let my wife go to her anymore, it was 150.00 at the mininmum every time she went and the lady stayed booked up. i pay like 7.00 for a haircut

eddie102870 said:
ive got a cousin that owns her own salon and she works like 4 days a week and does very well with it. i dont let my wife go to her anymore, it was 150.00 at the mininmum every time she went and the lady stayed booked up. i pay like 7.00 for a haircut

That is cool There are alot of solans around Beverly Hills that charges that and more

I am with you the most I pay to get my hair cut is $26.00 and to me it is too much but I like the lady that cuts my hair. :D

Congrats, thats a great GPA.............I had a C average.....but I turned out ok!!!! LOL

So many kids think college is just more school. They dont understand how going away to college is such a great fun time in their lives.......all they are thinking is 4 more years of classes.

Good luck and defiantly look into the "free" tuition opportunities.

patrick

Here is what her award looks like

annaB.jpg

Hell, I'm a professor and never ever got honors for anything!

I like Patrick was a very strong "c" student until graduate school. The only way I got into graduate school was that I applied to a brand new program and I was the only applicant! How could they say no? One graduate student in a program makes for a wonderful experience...most of my education was administered in the living rooms of my professors as we played Yatzee or cards late into the night...sometimes, the sun would come up and neither of us would have done anything other than discuss a philosophy or issue for hour and hours...it was a wonderful time in my life.

There is hope for everyone.

Prof said:
Hell, I'm a professor and never ever got honors for anything!

I like Patrick was a very strong "c" student until graduate school. The only way I got into graduate school was that I applied to a brand new program and I was the only applicant! How could they say no? One graduate student in a program makes for a wonderful experience...most of my education was administered in the living rooms of my professors as we played Yatzee or cards late into the night...sometimes, the sun would come up and neither of us would have done anything other than discuss a philosophy or issue for hour and hours...it was a wonderful time in my life.

There is hope for everyone.

Wow you had fun

SrtBradsBoss said:
Here is what her award looks like

annaB.jpg
Check her computer - make sure she isn't jivin you ;) ;) ;)

Congrats, I know I was proud when our son made it out :rock: :rock: :rock:

Silverback said:
Not what I would want to do for a living.
That's why you got that enganeering degree remember ;) :p :p :D

Prof said:
While I agree with John and Denise I would add one thing:

In my opinion this is such a huge decision that you as parents need to have a formal meeting with your daughter (maybe a very nice dinner out) for the specific announced purpose of talking about the future. You two need to do your home work. Come prepared with all of the data that supports the importance of a college education. (Cheat, call your daughters adviser at the high school, they will be able to give you a package.)

Open the "meeting" with your stated support for your daughters decision no matter what that decision is, but that you do want to objectively discuss as adults, the strengths and weaknesses of various approaches to the future.

You should not raise the negatives of anything she wants to do. You should state the positives of a college education, and your willingness to help her get where ever she wants to go.

In my experience with students, often there are hidden agendas that the parents may not know about. i.e. she may not feel that you or she can afford college or there may be a special relationship that is influencing the desire to go to beauty school, or any of a hundred other reasons that are short term in their perspective.

In the end you should support her decision. Just make sure the decision making process has been one that focuses on the important long term issues not "urgent" short term ones. I would also espouse that you two understand that all plans need to be flexible and if she decides in a week or a month or a year to change her direction, that you will be there to assist in whatever the new direction happens to be.
After all, she is a girl and we can change out minds you know ;)

Good advice Roy :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back