Our daughter is graduating with a GPA of 3.5

Annu Kumar said:
Hey guys I don't have any kids yet. But are they really expensive or what:dontknow:

Kids are very exspensive but worht every penny and sleeples night and all that stuff. They are our future.

Congrats to your family for your Daugther's drive to beat one of the major challenges of a youth. How old is she? :p

TREKER said:
Congrats to your entire family. My kids are going to be 3 and 8. I have many years until I get to experience what you just did. I look forward to a day like yours, but dont mind waiting.

Is there a certain college that she's interested in?

You would figure she would be enrolling in a Top 10 College or University, but her interests lies in Beauty School. I have been pushing Anna hard to enroll in a Top 10 school and take beauty school on the side. I haven't had any luck yet. Thank You everyone for the responses. Any advice on how to change her mind on Beauty School?

Brad

SrtBradsBoss said:
So on Tuesday night we went to our daughter's high school to see her get an award. We are so proud of her. The award she got was for Honor Roll. The Honor Roll seal will be put on her diploma as well. This is a picture of her getting her award

AnnaGradAwards060B.jpg

Congrat's to her on the award!:rock: :rock: :rock: and to all of you on this proud moment in life:congrats: :congrats: That's just awesome, thanks for sharing.

Congrats to your daughter.....Honor Roll is a great achievement, you should be proud ! However not to rain on your parade or anything....I carried a 3.97 :eek: and just look at what that did for me :D :p

TheSickness said:
Congrats to your daughter.....Honor Roll is a great achievement, you should be proud ! However not to rain on your parade or anything....I carried a 3.97 :eek: and just look at what that did for me :D :p

Ya well you are the sickness. That is a great GPA so what happened

SrtBradsBoss said:
Ya well you are the sickness. That is a great GPA so what happened
My mom got cancer so I did not go very long to college unfortunately...I came home to take care of her. Then after she got better I went into the service :D

TheSickness said:
My mom got cancer so I did not go very long to college unfortunately...I came home to take care of her. Then after she got better I went into the service :D

Wow sorry to hear that, glad your mom recovered.

SrtBrad said:
............. Any advice on how to change her mind on Beauty School?

Brad

You probably cannot change her mind, nor should you try, as that may possibly lead to annimosity.

Lot's of young men and women, right out of high school have this idea of what there life is going to be like. After about a year, reality sets in and they most often change there goals.

Let Anna go her way. Guide, but do not direct.

This is that time of life where the prior 18 years of parenting will pay off.

Good advice Silver and congrats to her! I remember when I graduated. Well, barely... ;) :D :rock:

While I agree with John and Denise I would add one thing:

In my opinion this is such a huge decision that you as parents need to have a formal meeting with your daughter (maybe a very nice dinner out) for the specific announced purpose of talking about the future. You two need to do your home work. Come prepared with all of the data that supports the importance of a college education. (Cheat, call your daughters adviser at the high school, they will be able to give you a package.)

Open the "meeting" with your stated support for your daughters decision no matter what that decision is, but that you do want to objectively discuss as adults, the strengths and weaknesses of various approaches to the future.

You should not raise the negatives of anything she wants to do. You should state the positives of a college education, and your willingness to help her get where ever she wants to go.

In my experience with students, often there are hidden agendas that the parents may not know about. i.e. she may not feel that you or she can afford college or there may be a special relationship that is influencing the desire to go to beauty school, or any of a hundred other reasons that are short term in their perspective.

In the end you should support her decision. Just make sure the decision making process has been one that focuses on the important long term issues not "urgent" short term ones. I would also espouse that you two understand that all plans need to be flexible and if she decides in a week or a month or a year to change her direction, that you will be there to assist in whatever the new direction happens to be.

Prof said:
While I agree with John and Denise I would add one thing:

In my opinion this is such a huge decision that you as parents need to have a formal meeting with your daughter (maybe a very nice dinner out) for the specific announced purpose of talking about the future. You two need to do your home work. Come prepared with all of the data that supports the importance of a college education. (Cheat, call your daughters adviser at the high school, they will be able to give you a package.)

Open the "meeting" with your stated support for your daughters decision no matter what that decision is, but that you do want to objectively discuss as adults, the strengths and weaknesses of various approaches to the future.

You should not raise the negatives of anything she wants to do. You should state the positives of a college education, and your willingness to help her get where ever she wants to go.

In my experience with students, often there are hidden agendas that the parents may not know about. i.e. she may not feel that you or she can afford college or there may be a special relationship that is influencing the desire to go to beauty school, or any of a hundred other reasons that are short term in their perspective.

In the end you should support her decision. Just make sure the decision making process has been one that focuses on the important long term issues not "urgent" short term ones. I would also espouse that you two understand that all plans need to be flexible and if she decides in a week or a month or a year to change her direction, that you will be there to assist in whatever the new direction happens to be.

Good advice as always Roy.

One thing I can add. When my daughter was trying to decide what to do, she quite often mentioned that "this person is going there". I told her she needed to do what was best for her, not follow what another person was doing.

i agree totally,dont try to direct them or push them, most 17 and 18 yr olds these days have no idea what they want to do. or you can do what i have done. we own a trucking company and last summer and this summer my 17 yr old boy has been in the tire room breaking down and mounting up tires in 90 degree heat for semi trucks.we run 70 trucks and 85 trailers so its a lot of tires. i just told him if he didnt want to go to college id save him a spot in the tire room. i think he already has a bag packed for when he graduates...lol she will find her way just be there for her and let her know it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back