Over heating

ViperPete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the way to work today the truck nearly over heated.

About 7 miles from my house I notice the radiator fan came on around 45 mph. Then I noticed white smoke from the side view mirror behind the truck, then I saw the water temp at 240. Pulled into a Wendy's and shut it down. Popped the hood and saw that the upper radiator hose had popped off. Borrowed a big pair of pliers from some landscape guys and got it back on. What surprised me is that there wasn't a huge mess from the hose popping off, and also that the coolant tank was completely full.

I was wearing a shirt and tie and my wife was in the truck too so I didn't have a lot of options to crawl under and look. Waited for the truck to cool and drove until the temp gauge hit 240-250. Rinse and repeat in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity...
Took about 2 hours to drive those 7 miles back home. Would have been the same amount of time waiting for a tow.

Turning on the heater made no difference. Vehicle speed made no difference. Could only travel about a mile or so before the engine got too hot for my liking...

Texted Andy and he thinks that the thermostat is stuck closed. I just got to work and I asked one of our techs what he thinks. He said that if the lower radiator hose is cool to the touch then the thermostat is staying closed. He also said to feel around the radiator for and heat/cool differences. Could have a clogged radiator.

Never had this happen in any vehicle i've owned. What do you guys think?

Sounds like the thermostat to me. After the hose came off was the coolant low? Did you refill it?

I think you could just remove the thermostat and see if it still has overheating issues

Doesn't work that way. Taking a thermostat out will absolutely result in overheating. Path of least resistance is NOT through the radiator. Give it a choice... and it isn't taking that path!

Replaced T-stat. And truck took 2 gallons of coolant. Bled the air out. Drove it to work today and ran perfect.

Thanks guys.

Doesn't work that way. Taking a thermostat out will absolutely result in overheating. Path of least resistance is NOT through the radiator. Give it a choice... and it isn't taking that path!

Then where is the path of least resistance?

Where else could the water go without a thermostat? I had to do this in my sbc to get it 80miles back home cause thermostat was stuck

Got some new upper hose clamps and refilled the coolant. Let idle for a few minutes. Before long the temp was getting to 230-240... Shut it down. The radiator fan is working.

Think it could be a clogged radiator?

Got some new upper hose clamps and refilled the coolant. Let idle for a few minutes. Before long the temp was getting to 230-240... Shut it down. The radiator fan is working.

Think it could be a clogged radiator?

Or a bad water pump

Is there too much pressure building up in cooling system that's causing the hose to pop off like from combustion going in to coolant? Maybe you can do a block test to check for combustion gases in coolant.

From my experience, when water pump goes you usually have water leaking from around pump shaft because usually it's the bearing that fail causing it to also leak. Can you see water circulating with the radiator cap off? Also you wouldn't have been able to bleed air out if water pump was bad when u replaced thermostat.

Coolant builds pressure the hotter it gets so a water pump not working could build the pressure enough to pop the radiator hose off. Sounds like its going to be fun to pinpoint this one. Good luck to you hope you find it soon..

So i drove it home after i let the truck cool.
Stayed at 190 the entire way home. Stop light at all.

what the hell...

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Had it towed to shop and they just put the hose back on and bled coolant system. Haven't had any more issues. I'll find out this week since temp will be 95 or above here in KC this week.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back